• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

licensed carry for registered nurses

tite45

imported post

my wife is a registered nurse in mississippi,but she is also a SANE( sexual assualt nurse examiner) nurse and a licensedforensic interviewer. we were wondering if she would be allowed to carry a firearm with a identification badge into places restricted to the average person. she frequently goes into federal buildings and court houses with police officers and district attorneys who are armed. here in mississippi,people like coronor's,DA investigator's,ect.. are allowed to carry anywhere just like police. we were wondering,with my wife's credentials if she could do the same. i am in law enforcement myself and don't have the answer. please help

LEO 229

imported post

Depends on how yourstate code is written.

It is unlikely that she would be in the exemptions.

As Doug advised... check with the guys in your state forum who may better answer your question knowing where to find the state laws on-line.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tite45 wrote:
my wife is a registered nurse in mississippi,but she is also a SANE( sexual assualt nurse examiner) nurse and a licensedforensic interviewer. we were wondering if she would be allowed to carry a firearm with a identification badge into places restricted to the average person. she frequently goes into federal buildings and court houses with police officers and district attorneys who are armed. here in mississippi,people like coronor's,DA investigator's,ect.. are allowed to carry anywhere just like police. we were wondering,with my wife's credentials if she could do the same. i am in law enforcement myself and don't have the answer. please help

Let me get this straight. You're in law enforcement and you don't have access to your states statutes? You aren't able to go to city/county attorney and get an answer?

:?

tite45

imported post

Yes, Task Force 16, I do have access to state statutes, and the county attorney. I am in law enforcement, but have been part of the friendly gun carrying community longer. I figured it might be easier and quicker to ask them, than to have to wait on a lawyer to call me back.

Thanks for the other replies. I am new to this site and didn't know that Mississippi had its own forum.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tite45 wrote:
Yes, Task Force 16, I do have access to state statutes, and the county attorney. I am in law enforcement, but have been part of the friendly gun carrying community longer. I figured it might be easier and quicker to ask them, than to have to wait on a lawyer to call me back.

Thanks for the other replies. I am new to this site and didn't know that Mississippi had its own forum.

OK, I guess it would seem that many on these forums know about statutes and such better than some LEO's. I don't live in Mississippi, so I can't help you with info. Don't know how Tn handles it either.

Glad to hear that you aren't one of the ego trip lawmen, and welcome to OCDO.

DocV

imported post

Tite45,

I was stationed in Mississippi for awhile and did some forensic consulting. I asked the same question because I was often in and about Jackson at odd hours. The answer I got was to be appointed a Deputy by a County Sheriff, an Investigator by a County Prosecuter, or a Deputy Coroner by a County Coroner. None of those folks were willing at the time due to the liability they would assume, i.e. I would then be acting as an "agent" of that agency or department. They all felt a concealed permit was sufficent and there was no need for me to carry in a courthouse.

In her role, is your wife employed by a hospital or county government?

DocV

DocV

tite45

imported post

DocV,

She is an ER nurse with the local hospital and she is also a part of the child abuse/sexual assault multi-disciplinary team for the county.

Thanks

TheMrMitch

imported post

I'd tell her to carry all the time. Women have done it for a long time.

05779u_1.jpg