Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Settles Re: Katrina Seizures

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

If this has already been posted, please ask a mod to delete.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/News....aspx?ID=11653

Fairfax, VA-After a three-year legal battle over the unconstitutional confiscation of lawfully owned firearms, the City of New Orleans has agreed to settle a law suit by the National Rifle Association (NRA). A permanent injunction has been issued against the city, Mayor Ray Nagin and current Police Chief Warren Riley. The Second Amendment Foundation assisted NRA in the legal battle against Mayor Ray Nagin and the City of New Orleans.

“Today’s outcome is an important victory for the citizens of New Orleans and the Second Amendment,” said Wayne LaPierre, NRA’s executive vice president. “We fought for three long years in a fundamental legal challenge to assert the inherent self-defense rights for law-abiding citizens, knowing the Constitution would prevail. Today it has prevailed and freedom has won.”

Judge Carl J. Barbier presided over the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. Judge Barbier signed the permanent injuncation against the City of New Orleans. The city admitted the firearm confiscations carried out by Nagin and Riley were unconstitutional and illegal.

Under the terms of the injunction, Mayor Ray Nagin, Police Chief Warren Riley and any agents or employees of the City of New Orleans shall:...

I found out about it at a great blog, www.armsandthelaw.com

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

All kinds of BS surfaced during Katrina:http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/09/28/071939.php

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/o...-gun-seizures/

NRA settles suit on gun seizures
    Gun owners must sign an affidavit claiming ownership of a gun, but don't need to present written proof, such as a sales receipt or serial number. A background check also is required to certify that someone claiming a gun can legally possess a firearm.
    Registration continues

Post imported post

The outcome of the civil suite does not prevent any criminal charges. The NRA & SAF should be requesting independent criminal investigations in addition to whatever the settlement is in the civil suite.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    However, despite MY asking, neither the NRA (negotiate rights away) nor the SAF (second amendment frauds) have done anything to push for CRIMINAL prosecution.
    Who are you going to "push"? Criminal prosecutions are a political act of the sovereign - government almost never prosecutes itself. Don't waste your time.

Banned

Post imported post

Still. I'm not sure that anyone but the state, in the person of the prosecutor, can present to the Grand Jury.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Doug,
    ANY citizen can present evidence/testimony of wrongdoing to a grand jury. Despite what most Amerikans have been brainwashed into believing, the DA does NOT run the grand jury. Many years ago, a grand jury, on it's own initiative, went out and investigated/prosecuted governmental crimes. The press labeled this grand jury as a "runaway" grand jury. When asked about that charge, a member of the grand jury exclaimed, "hell yea, we're a runaway grand jury. We're running away from the DA !!"
    The district attorney is (supposed to be) nothing more than a tool the grand jury can use for legal advice, who prosecutes what the grand jury decides to indict.
    Mark - go ahead and school us in Louisiana law - are you saying you are now personally bringing criminal actions against officials on your own without the permission fo the prosecutor?

Banned

Post imported post

Verrry interesting. I wish you the best of fortunes.

Might the difference between your experience and my mis-understanding be due to y'all's, Louisianans, Napoleonic Code derived common law?

Banned

Post imported post

Acknowledging the difficulties with the Wikipedia...Louisiana is mentioned in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_...Odd_exceptions

But to make it clear that I am not challenging your expertise I'll not pursue this thread beyond reinforcing my very best wishes in your enterprise.

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

Post imported post

I remeber reading that the NRA finally got the opportunity to inspect the confiscated weapons, and basically said that most of them were basicallydestroyed by rust. I didn't see anything about the city having to reimburse the victims, and as far as I'm concerned a multi million dollar settlement to said victims for additional inconvienence is in order.

I hope the criminal prosecution effort is successful as well, both the mayor and police chief need some time in jail, heavy fines, and expulsion from any public office for eternity.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Post imported post

I thought YOU were pursuing criminal prosecution?

Regarding that, I honestly do hope you are successful, and am eager to hear about the outcome.

Post imported post

And what about compensation for the ones that were smashed on the curb or kept by officers or thrown into the Big Muddy according to accounts by some New Orleans LEOs. There is no monetary award in the settlement according to Cam & Co. last night. NRA is really the pits these days. I belonged to the NRA back in the late 60s early 70s. They were pretty stauch back then, but notnow. What happened?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    However, despite MY asking, neither the NRA (negotiate rights away) nor the SAF (second amendment frauds) have done anything to push for CRIMINAL prosecution.
    Who are you going to "push"? Criminal prosecutions are a political act of the sovereign - government almost never prosecutes itself. Don't waste your time.
    In this nation, the supreme sovereign are the people.. not the government or the entity known as the United States. This is basic civics.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

I'm soooooooooo glad someone other than me understands that simple fact concerning sovereignty. Or, as the bible teaches, the creaTION cannot be greater than the creaTOR.
    IF we lived in a Constitutional Republic such as our founders intended, I would very much agree. BUT, the incidents involving the jack booted thugs in NOLA ought to be a great example that our Republic has been lost to us.

honestly, I am truly surprised that the Grand Jury even bothered to speak with you, but since they have, I wish you the best of luck. it is only with actions such as yours, which serve as a reminder to the PTB that WE are still the ones in charge, that any regression towards Republic will ever be made.

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    And what about compensation for the ones that were smashed on the curb or kept by officers or thrown into the Big Muddy according to accounts by some New Orleans LEOs. There is no monetary award in the settlement according to Cam & Co. last night. NRA is really the pits these days. I belonged to the NRA back in the late 60s early 70s. They were pretty stauch back then, but not*now. What happened?
    I'm afraid they've been co-opted. Infiltrated. Or run by people who think the 2d Amendment has something to do with hunting, e.g. Joaquin Jackson.

And yeah, it's horrible what happened in Katrina. I suspect that was a trial balloon to how compliant the public would be when they start confiscating guns.

I posted earlier a link to an article speculating that there were as many as 500 phantom cops on the NOPD payroll, and then I thought it wasn't relevant to this thread. On second thought, perhaps the powers that be in New Orleans wanted the public disarmed before the truth came out about how badly the taxpayers were being defrauded, and they didn't want people having the power to revolt. Which also explains all the rumors of martial law we're hearing regarding the financial crisis.

"What's done at night will come to light" - old German saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast