• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Orleans Settles Re: Katrina Seizures

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If this has already been posted, please ask a mod to delete.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=11653

Fairfax, VA-After a three-year legal battle over the unconstitutional confiscation of lawfully owned firearms, the City of New Orleans has agreed to settle a law suit by the National Rifle Association (NRA). A permanent injunction has been issued against the city, Mayor Ray Nagin and current Police Chief Warren Riley. The Second Amendment Foundation assisted NRA in the legal battle against Mayor Ray Nagin and the City of New Orleans.

“Today’s outcome is an important victory for the citizens of New Orleans and the Second Amendment,” said Wayne LaPierre, NRA’s executive vice president. “We fought for three long years in a fundamental legal challenge to assert the inherent self-defense rights for law-abiding citizens, knowing the Constitution would prevail. Today it has prevailed and freedom has won.”

Judge Carl J. Barbier presided over the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana. Judge Barbier signed the permanent injuncation against the City of New Orleans. The city admitted the firearm confiscations carried out by Nagin and Riley were unconstitutional and illegal.

Under the terms of the injunction, Mayor Ray Nagin, Police Chief Warren Riley and any agents or employees of the City of New Orleans shall:...

I found out about it at a great blog, www.armsandthelaw.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

What a crock. Government-sanctioned thieves/thugs STEAL weapons, get caught. The NRA (negotiate rights away), in concert with the SAF (second amendment frauds) don't bother to push for CRIMINAL charges, instead they opt for a civil court slap on the wrist. Huh? What?
If you or I did what the "law enforcement officers" did in New Orleans, we'd be in jail.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

The outcome of the civil suite does not prevent any criminal charges. The NRA & SAF should be requesting independent criminal investigations in addition to whatever the settlement is in the civil suite.

imported post

You are correct. Civil suits and criminal prosecutions are separate actions. However, despite MY asking, neither the NRA (negotiate rights away) nor the SAF (second amendment frauds) have done anything to push for CRIMINAL prosecution. "Should be" and "are" are two different things.
Suggestion: why don't you call the SAF and ask Alan why he hasn't/isn't doing just that.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
However, despite MY asking, neither the NRA (negotiate rights away) nor the SAF (second amendment frauds) have done anything to push for CRIMINAL prosecution.
Who are you going to "push"? Criminal prosecutions are a political act of the sovereign - government almost never prosecutes itself. Don't waste your time.

imported post

Doug,
ANY citizen can present evidence/testimony of wrongdoing to a grand jury. Despite what most Amerikans have been brainwashed into believing, the DA does NOT run the grand jury. Many years ago, a grand jury, on it's own initiative, went out and investigated/prosecuted governmental crimes. The press labeled this grand jury as a "runaway" grand jury. When asked about that charge, a member of the grand jury exclaimed, "hell yea, we're a runaway grand jury. We're running away from the DA !!"
The district attorney is (supposed to be) nothing more than a tool the grand jury can use for legal advice, who prosecutes what the grand jury decides to indict.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Doug,
ANY citizen can present evidence/testimony of wrongdoing to a grand jury. Despite what most Amerikans have been brainwashed into believing, the DA does NOT run the grand jury. Many years ago, a grand jury, on it's own initiative, went out and investigated/prosecuted governmental crimes. The press labeled this grand jury as a "runaway" grand jury. When asked about that charge, a member of the grand jury exclaimed, "hell yea, we're a runaway grand jury. We're running away from the DA !!"
The district attorney is (supposed to be) nothing more than a tool the grand jury can use for legal advice, who prosecutes what the grand jury decides to indict.
Mark - go ahead and school us in Louisiana law - are you saying you are now personally bringing criminal actions against officials on your own without the permission fo the prosecutor?

imported post

It's a shame someone who I believe is attending law school doesn't know the basics. Mike, YOU school me if I'm wrong.
I called the clerk of court's office to obtain the name and number of the current grand jury foreperson. They did everything possible to try and mislead me into thinking I am required, by law, to go see the DA. When they realized I actually know what I am talking about and am not just another ignorant Louisianian, they still refused to hand over the info. I reminded the clerk of court, himself, the info is public record. Then, just to prove how absurd most elected officials are, he said, and I quote, " Are you from Louisiana? This call isn't even coming from Louisiana." I had to ask if Louisianians are still allowed to travel outside the state, to which he reluctantly agreed.
After calling the grand jury foreperson, Julie Blouin, I explained to her the purpose of my call, she promised to find out the date she could convene the grand jury. NOTE: she didn't say "let me call and beg permission from the DA, " but she made it clear SHE would decide the date.
Maybe it's time this site conduct a crash course in the basics of government, starting with the grand jury system.

imported post

Napoleanic code? LOL, I, too, have heard that for decades. Then, one day I went to the LSU law library, asked to be pointed in the direction of the oldest law books in the building. There I found a journal of the legislature of the TERRITORY of Louisiana when it was still under French control. The journal was printed by Claiborne Press of New Orleans, still in business today. The date on this journal was either 1805 or 1803, don't remember which. Anyway, on the left half of the page it was printed in English, on the right side it was printed in French.
The legislature for the French Territory of Louisiana adopted the COMMON LAW OF ENGLAND. Don't take my word for it, check it out.
When I first spoke with the grand jury foreperson, I briefly explained to her the power she controls. Unlike most dumbed down Amerikans, she seemed interested in hearing what I have to say.

imported post

Everytime I read anything on the net with your named attached, it encourages me to know I am not alone, there ARE persons out there who truly comprehend what's going on and are not being brainwashed/mislead by everyone/everything around them.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I remeber reading that the NRA finally got the opportunity to inspect the confiscated weapons, and basically said that most of them were basicallydestroyed by rust. I didn't see anything about the city having to reimburse the victims, and as far as I'm concerned a multi million dollar settlement to said victims for additional inconvienence is in order.

I hope the criminal prosecution effort is successful as well, both the mayor and police chief need some time in jail, heavy fines, and expulsion from any public office for eternity.

imported post

There is NO effort for criminal prosecution. You can ask the NRA (negotiate rights away) and the SAF (second amendment frauds) why that's so. Please share the results of your inquiry with me, inquiring minds want to know.

imported post

I am pursuing criminal prosecution in the instance of criminal wrongdoing resulting from an incident involving the Gonzales police.
To the best of my knowledge, NObody is pursuing criminal prosecution of the state-sanctioned thuggery down in New Orleans which the NRA and SAF are condoning by their silence.
And let's quit referring to this as some sort of "unconstitutional gun confiscation" and call it was it is: felony theft and, in some instances, aggravated assault.