• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's restore felons' 2nd Amendment rights

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
Alexcabbie,

Please let us know what your true motivations are here. Your argument makes absolutely no sense. Why are you advocating allowing people that have committed serious crimes against our society the right to possess weapons that will most certainly be used against society again?

This idea is a danger to all honest citizens and is irresponsible at the least. maybe you've never had contact with convicted felons before?
why are you against the constitution? why do you hate the bill of rights? why are you anti-american?

just as idiotic as your argument.

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

i think the best way to deal with hardcore criminals (real crime, robbery, murder, rape, etc...) is to allow citizens to concretely defend their property and lives, and the property and lives of others with deadly force. rather than put people in jail for a couple years and restrict their rights.

if people were allowed to defend themselves and property criminals would die in the act of committing their crimes, and we wouldn't have to deal with restricting their rights unconstitutionally after they serve time and all the pitfalls that come with it.

given time more and more things will become felonies, and this is calculated to restrict more and more "rights"

PT111

imported post

jopencarry wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Why do we equate the total punishment of a felon only with how long they spend in jail? Suppose someone hits someone a cripples them while DUI. The felon in this case goes to jail for10 years but the victim suffers for the rest of their life. After getting out of jail the ex-felon is now free to get on with their life with all the rights and enjoyments that they always had but their victim is still ina wheel chair. The felon may no longer be dqngerous, shouldn't be supported by the state and should be out of jail but to say that they have fully paid their debt is BS. That person that they crippled can't even fire a gun to protect themselves. The felon had no insurance or assets to pay the medical bills of their victim. Let that felon suffer for the rest of their life having to look over their shoulder like their victim. There are more ways to punish someone than just keeping them in jail. BTW that victim is a close frined of mine and an actual story.
thats a nice cry story.

you will have a different view when the govt losers make something you like to do, or something you might do that you really don't think is that big of a deal... into a felony and you lose your rights.

life happens, it sounds like your views on crime and punishment are incompatible with liberty and freedom.

AWDstylez will have a different opinion when they make "street racing" a felony and he loses all his rights. because i know for a fact he does it :)
I didn't post it as a cry story and don't mean it to be. I want that SOB to remember every day of his life how he killed a 2 year old childplaying in his front yard on a Sunday afternoon and how he crippled that child's mother. I don't care if he can defend himself or not and if he were to get shot in the back I would tell whoever did it thank you. I want him to have to cower down and be afraid of going outsideto even stand in his own yard like that family does now. Felons can be granted their rights back on a case by case basis. I don't care one way or the other if someone running over a fire hose is a felon or not but when Timothy McVeigh gets out of prison I want to see which one of you calls for his rights to walk around with a gun to be restored. This is exactly what the antis and goverment losers that all of you complain about want to happen. Forgive and forget that someone killed 25 people and restore all of their rights and screw the poor victims. I can't tell which side most of you are on unless it involves a gun then it doesn't matter what a person does they are innocent.

icode

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I didn't post it as a cry story and don't mean it to be. I want that SOB to remember every day of his life how he killed a 2 year old childplaying in his front yard on a Sunday afternoon and how he crippled that child's mother. I don't care if he can defend himself or not and if he were to get shot in the back I would tell whoever did it thank you. I want him to have to cower down and be afraid of going outsideto even stand in his own yard like that family does now. Felons can be granted their rights back on a case by case basis. I don't care one way or the other if someone running over a fire hose is a felon or not but when Timothy McVeigh gets out of prison I want to see which one of you calls for his rights to walk around with a gun to be restored. This is exactly what the antis and goverment losers that all of you complain about want to happen. Forgive and forget that someone killed 25 people and restore all of their rights and screw the poor victims. I can't tell which side most of you are on unless it involves a gun then it doesn't matter what a person does they are innocent.
So which do you advocate, life in prision or death for all persons convicted of a felony? Obviously you advocate one of these.

TheMrMitch

imported post

"when Timothy McVeigh gets out of prison "

Uh....that won't be happening. ;)

I agree the running over a fire hose felony is a bit outre', and SOME felons should never see the light of day either. Case by case as it has been said.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

icode wrote:
PT111 wrote:
So which do you advocate, life in prision or death for all persons convicted of a felony? Obviously you advocate one of these.

The death penatly is a moronic side argument because the people that are against it are against it on grounds that have nothing to do with this debate.

It should (and is) a case-by-case thing. People that deserve life in prison get life in prison (at least most of the time) and people that don't, don't. But, as ODA and PT111 have said, just because you're out of prison doesn't make what you did go away. I think those of you arguing for "felons' rights" need to get out of the house a little more and get a concept of the type of people that we're talking about here. You paint your worlds with such broad brushes in the name of "liberty" and being "constitutional". How about injecting some common sense into your ideas?

As for Johnny Bliss, why hasn't he been re-re-rebanned yet?

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
icode wrote:
PT111 wrote:

The death penatly is a moronic side argument because the people that are against it are against it on grounds that have nothing to do with this debate.

It should (and is) a case-by-case thing. People that deserve life in prison get life in prison (at least most of the time) and people that don't, don't. But, as ODA and PT111 have said, just because you're out of prison doesn't make what you did go away. I think those of you arguing for "felons' rights" need to get out of the house a little more and get a concept of the type of people that we're talking about here. You paint your worlds with such broad brushes in the name of "liberty" and being "constitutional". How about injecting some common sense into your ideas?

As for Johnny Bliss, why hasn't been re-re-rebanned yet?
why isn't Tyler Mattas banned yet?

People that deserve life in prison get life in prison (at least most of the time)

this is not even close to true.

Carnivore

imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
I think it's wrong to prohibit felons from keeping and bearing arms. Once out of jail their rights should be fully restored.

And Child molesters should be allowed to open and operate Daycare facilities ?:what:

If a felony is discounted as a one time brain sh!t, then I guess they Should be allowed to apply and Posses an FFL..:what:

Maybe a convicted Rapist would go over well with you as your wifes Gynecologist..:what:

and the local drunk should be allowed a drivers license just one more time, because he hasn't had an opportunity to hit your family in a head on collision yet..:what:

Cmon fellas the list of comparisons go on and on, and these are reasonable comparisons..

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Ohio Patriot wrote:
I think it's wrong to prohibit felons from keeping and bearing arms. Once out of jail their rights should be fully restored.

And Child molesters should be allowed to open and operate Daycare facilities ?:what:

If a felony is discounted as a one time brain sh!t, then I guess they Should be allowed to apply and Posses an FFL..:what:

Maybe a convicted Rapist would go over well with you as your wifes Gynecologist..:what:

and the local drunk should be allowed a drivers license just one more time, because he hasn't had an opportunity to hit your family in a head on collision yet..:what:

Cmon fellas the list of comparisons go on and on, and these are reasonable comparisons..
thats great until everything is a felony and your rights are lost.

where is line?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Ohio Patriot wrote:

Funny you bring that up. You're arguing against the same ideaology of people that told me drunk driving shouldn't be a crime because it doesn't have a victim if they don't crash into anything. :lol::quirky

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

jopencarry wrote:
thats great until everything is a felony and your rights are lost.

where is line?

Again, your totally idiotic, reactionarylogic is glaring in everyone's face like the sun.

The solution is to fix the heart of the problem which is the legal system so thatfelonies are handed out correctly, not to do away with all restrictions on all felons.

Why haven't you been banned AGAIN yet?

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
Ohio Patriot wrote:

None of those things are natural rights protected by the Constitution.

I still haven't heard anyone explain how the fact that it is illegal for a convicted felon to own a gun stops them from carrying a gun, or using one in the commission of a crime.

Gun control doesn't work, and is unconstitutional.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Carnivore wrote:
Ohio Patriot wrote:

I still haven't heard anyone explain how the fact that it is illegal for a convicted felon to own a gun stops them from carrying a gun, or using one in the commission of a crime.

When you commit a crime against society you forfeit your "right" to"rights".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
When you commit a crime against society you forfeit your "right" to"rights".

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Where in this do you see the part about "forfeiting" the right to keep and bear arms for those who "commit a crime against society?"

Actually, ifyou think about it thoroughly,there is no substantive constitutional basis to deny felons (they are of "the people," mind you) the right to keep and bear arms whilst in prison. Prison is a dangerous place and these "people" arebeingdenied the right toself-defense.

Think about it.

Carnivore

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Carnivore wrote:
Ohio Patriot wrote:

What a shame!!

So you children don't have a constitutionally protected right not to be molested??

Your Wife coesn't have a constitutionally protected right not to be raped??

Your family doesn't have a constitutionally protected right not to be hit head on by a persistent offender Drunk??

So your family has no right tolife, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..

PT111

imported post

Evidently it is OK if they violate all of your rights as long as you don't violate their 2A rights. Doesn't everyone have the right to liberty and if you are put in jail that is taking that right away. So let's do away with prisons. Can't take away their property so lawsuits for monetary damage is out. Looks like any kind of punishment violates criminals rights so do away with laws altogether. Sounds like a plan to me.

icode

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Evidently it is OK if they violate all of your rights as long as you don't violate their 2A rights. Doesn't everyone have the right to liberty and if you are put in jail that is taking that right away. So let's do away with prisons. Can't take away their property so lawsuits for monetary damage is out. Looks like any kind of punishment violates criminals rights so do away with laws altogether. Sounds like a plan to me.
Do you jump to extremes much?:shock:

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

icode wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Do you jump to extremes much?:shock:
yeap. i was just about to post.

these guys jump to such ridiculous conclusions. they sound like authoritarians.

heres the deal. punish them for the crimes they've commited. jail, money, etc...

don't take away their rights when they are done being "punished"

SANDCREEK

imported post

This topic always separates the "true believers" that there are certain unalienable RIGHTS from the "pretenders". This should be a lesson to ALL OF US RTKBA champions - Why the struggle overthe RTKBA is so challenging - even when we have our federal and (most) states' constitutions firmly on our side of the issue.I'm sorry folks - we need to "check" our emotions at the door on this one. If the defenders of the right to keep and bear arms can't agree on this one - the battle is lost.

As any with eyes to see can discern -this right we so cherish is being steadily ground down to non-existence through nuances such as the so-called "felon" rule- recently afirmed by the SCOTUS.

In Colorado our constitution provides for the restoration of ALL rights of citizenship (WITHOUT EXCEPTION) to ALL persons (convicted under Colorado laws) upon release from confinement. Parole , and probation are relatively new concepts thatwere nonexistent 130 years ago, but are essentially an extention of confinement.

Colorado statutory law has "tested" the constitution by establishing a 10 year period after release during which "possession" by a convicted previous offender is a crime (felony -again). In any case "defense of one's person" is an affirmative defense to prosecution for possession.

Unfortunately the powers that be in the criminal justice system in Colorado engage in a "Wizzard of Oz" scenario designed to convince the public that convicted"felons" (and misdemeanor domestic violence offenders -DVO)cannot legally possess a firearm.

To those who can't seem to GET IT - we are all "felons - in waiting" subject only to the future whims of our noble governmental officials.