• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's restore felons' 2nd Amendment rights

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
You can make all the happy, feel good constitutional statements you want, it doesn't change the fact that felons owning guns is idiotic.
I'm going to restrain myself from name-calling. Define "felon."
Felon: one that has commited a felony :quirky
Judged by whom? A kangaroo court? For "felonious" offenses like the following?
AWDstylez wrote:
I see no difference between what you propose and anarchy. Again, although you attmpted to turn it around, the trust of people works both ways. If you don't trust people to govern (i.e. create and enforce the agreed upon rules), what makes you suddenly trust them when they're your neighbors that you have no control over? Or was that Browning comment an extention of the OC.org extremist logic of, "My gun protects me from everything and if I had real freedom I'd just shoot anyone I don't like?"
My gun can't protect me from everything. And that's just the point. Individuals are capable of harm on a far smaller scale than is government. My gun isn't capable of protecting me from government. My neighbors, on the other hand, don't pose a threat to me. Of course, my gun is only a small part of that. And that's exactly why I fear the bad individuals will do less than the bad individuals in government will do.

i love to use this example:

how many times have you been a victim of "crime". for most people either a couple times or mostly likely never.

how many times have you been a victim of illegal actions taken by government? literally tens of thousands of times. if you just counted LE harassment it would still be a huge margin.

who should i fear more? i can fight back against a criminal in most cases, if you fight back against the govt your life is over.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
I see no difference between what you propose and anarchy. Again, although you attmpted to turn it around, the trust of people works both ways. If you don't trust people to govern (i.e. create and enforce the agreed upon rules), what makes you suddenly trust them when they're your neighbors that you have no control over? Or was that Browning comment an extention of the OC.org extremist logic of, "My gun protects me from everything and if I had real freedom I'd just shoot anyone I don't like?"
My gun can't protect me from everything. And that's just the point. Individuals are capable of harm on a far smaller scale than is government. My gun isn't capable of protecting me from government. My neighbors, on the other hand, don't pose a threat to me. Of course, my gun is only a small part of that. And that's exactly why I fear the bad individuals will do less than the bad individuals in government will do.

But that's just my point. The bad individuals in government are there because bad (or just dumb and uninformed) individuals voted them into power. So in marshual land that leaves you with a whole lot of bad (or dumb) individuals and no one but you and I, and all the authority we don't have, to babysit them. If they attack you, you shoot them. Fair enough. What do you do when they steal something from you? Your land of no authority provides for no punishment beyond self-defense. Do you shot them in that case also? I guess I'll give you that one too. What happens when you have a property dispute? You have no governmentor regulating body to enforce or hold records on who owns what,so you get into an argument with your neighbor. Neither of you have any form of authority over the other and no one has authority of either of you, because you're both "liberated" people, so who settles it? Do both bust out Browning's gift to mankind and whoever is left standing wins? Sounds like state-of-nature living to me.

I ask you again, WHY you put so much faith in the same people you don't trust to govern?

And let's move on to another issue. I can accept that you want total anarchy. You have your opinion and I have mine. Apparently, me acknowledging the necessity of a governing body to keep order makes me an authoritarian. The same way your lack of acceptance of any governing authority makes you an anarchist. But, what I'd love to hear is your explanation for how regulatory actions would take place in marshual land. What of things like the FDA that set standards for food and drug products to protect consumers. What of the EPA that keeps us from having to walk around with gas masks on? What of infrastructure departments like the DOT and FAA? Who controls the public owned roads? Who sets standards for airline safety? Where do laws come from? Who enforces them?

Utopia is all well and good when you're dreaming about it at night, but in reality is doesn't work because people are stupid and motivated by self-interest. Government is the product of everyone getting together and attempting to better society. Anarchy is just glorified state-of-nature existence.

How does this all relate to felons carrying? It doesn't. Now I want to know where that thread about the LEO's with previous records went. PT111 laid outsomeheftyownage of hypocritesand I'm waiting for a response from everyone that's been posting in here.

ODA 226

imported post

jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Alexcabbie,

Please let us know what your true motivations are here. Your argument makes absolutely no sense. Why are you advocating allowing people that have committed serious crimes against our society the right to possess weapons that will most certainly be used against society again?

This idea is a danger to all honest citizens and is irresponsible at the least. maybe you've never had contact with convicted felons before?
why are you against the constitution? why do you hate the bill of rights? why are you anti-american?

just as idiotic as your argument.

JohnnyB!

How are you doin' little buddy! You just can't stay away can ya!

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Alexcabbie,

Please let us know what your true motivations are here. Your argument makes absolutely no sense. Why are you advocating allowing people that have committed serious crimes against our society the right to possess weapons that will most certainly be used against society again?

This idea is a danger to all honest citizens and is irresponsible at the least. maybe you've never had contact with convicted felons before?
why are you against the constitution? why do you hate the bill of rights? why are you anti-american?

JohnnyB!

i think you should be banned from the internet because of your serious crimes against everyone's time spent reading your garbage.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

jopencarry wrote:

i think you should be banned from the internet because of your serious crimes against everyone's time spent reading your garbage.

You have so little to contribute no matter where you are. Can you just show us all an intelligent post for once? Are you even capable of any critical thinking? Post something about cars if you have to. Just show a shred of intelligence so we all know you aren't a "special" child.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
But that's just my point.  The bad individuals in government are there because bad (or just dumb and uninformed) individuals voted them into power.  So in marshual land that leaves you with a whole lot of bad (or dumb) individuals and no one but you and I, and all the authority we don't have, to babysit them.  If they attack you, you shoot them.  Fair enough.  What do you do when they steal something from you?  Your land of no authority provides for no punishment beyond self-defense.  Do you shot them in that case also?  I guess I'll give you that one too.  What happens when you have a property dispute?  You have no government or regulating body to enforce or hold records on who owns what, so you get into an argument with your neighbor.  Neither of you have any form of authority over the other and no one has authority of either of you, because you're both "liberated" people, so who settles it?
All of your conjecture assumes absolute anarchy, which is not something I've ever advocated. In fact, while I do often sympathize with anarcho-capitalists, I do not believe that my "philosophy of non-aggression and respect for human rights" necessarily equates to anarchism of any sort.

On the other hand, an anarcho-capitalist would point out that society forms its own controls, and they are effective precisely because they are not the same form as the regulatory sort imposed by government.

I'll point out that an astute observer (yourself) would notice I quote Jefferson quite a bit. I consider my views nearly in line with Jeffersonian Liberalism. However "extreme" you may consider this philosophy, most of us will agree it's clearly not anarchism.

AWDstylez wrote:
Do both bust out Browning's gift to mankind and whoever is left standing wins?  Sounds like state-of-nature living to me.
I admit it, this time you made me laugh. :lol: And now that you point it out, state-of-nature (as you call it) might indeed be an improvement (however slight) over the current state of affairs. :p

AWDstylez wrote:
I ask you again, WHY you put so much faith in the same people you don't trust to govern?
It's not a question of with whom I hold faith. One implication of both the quotes I used above is that the speaker doesn't necessarily trust people as a whole. The difference is, when I assume (trust, you would say) that my neighbor isn't going to mess with me, even in the unlikely event that I am wrong the worst that happens is a little property dispute, maybe self-defense. In contrast, consider what far greater wrongs Americans' faith in their corrupt government has enabled it to commit.

AWDstylez wrote:
But, what I'd love to hear is your explanation for how regulatory actions would take place in marshual land.  What of things like the FDA that set standards for food and drug products to protect consumers.  What of the EPA that keeps us from having to walk around with gas masks on?  What of infrastructure departments like the DOT and FAA?  Who controls the public owned roads?  Who sets standards for airline safety?  Where do laws come from?  Who enforces them?
I can expound upon this further in PM if you'd like, but this is off-topic to the point I'm not going to answer here. You might do better doing some reading some on your own. Very erudite and intelligent folks have answered these questions before.

AWDstylez wrote:
Utopia is all well and good when you're dreaming about it at night, but in reality is doesn't work because people are stupid and motivated by self-interest.  Government is the product of everyone getting together and attempting to better society.  Anarchy is just glorified state-of-nature existence.
This just goes so show how little you understand libertarianism (of any sort). Libertarians never claim to offer anything like a utopia. A cornerstone of the philosophy is that society is inherently not "perfect," but that in addressing the problems of society we will have more effect by protecting individual freedom and (thus) individual responsibility than through a governmental, regulatory approach.

ODA 226

imported post

jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Alexcabbie,

JohnnyB!

Goodbye JohnnyB!

mzbk2l

imported post

I didn't read all six pages of this, but in Arizona the rights of a person convicted of a single felony are automatically restored upon completion of the sentence and payment of all fines and fees. Gun rights can be restored by petitioning the court after a period of time; I believe two years for non-violent felonies and 10 years for some others. (I think some violent felonies preclude the restoration of gun rights at any time.) Anyone convicted of a second felony, or multiple felonies the first time, does not have his or her rights automatically restored, but is allowed to petition the court to ask for them to be restored. Whether that actually happens is up to the judge.

I have no problem with that system. One felony is possible through simple stupidity or bad judgment. Pay your penalty and get one with life, including voting and owning guns.

More than one felony, odds are that you is not a productive member of society and do not need to be voting.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

All of you who give examples of bad people committing crimes and implying that I am in favor of them committing those crimes are out and out lying. I don't support crime or criminals. I believe that ANY use of a firearm for unlawful purposes should be prosecuted to the full extant of the law, and some of those laws should be amended to allow for longer sentences.

The bottom line is that if there is a person that because of previous crimes simply cannot be trusted with the right to keep and bear arms, then that person should NOT BE RELEASED FROM PRISON. The idea that some of these career criminals should EVER be released is beyond stupid.

Look, here is the thing: There are already laws in place that make it a crime to use a firearm for unlawful purposes. Personally, I think there should be more. For example, it could be a federal mandate that if a firearm is used in the commission of a violent crime, then a mandatory minimum sentence of 40 years shall be added to the sentence for the crime that was committed. I guarantee that would make a LOT of criminals choose a different weapon.

However, without fail, gun control laws go after the LAWFUL use or possession of a firearm. If they were targeted at the unlawful use or possession as my above proposed law, I would have no problem with them. The automatic and permanent removal of the right to keep and bear arms simply because of conviction of a felony is a law that targets lawful use and possession of a firearm.

As far as taking away other rights: does he a convicted felon lose his right to free speech? Could the government quarter troops in his house while he is in prison? If he is accused of another crime while in prison, can he be forced to testify against himself? Yes, he loses to right to liberty, and parts of the right to be secure against search, and perhaps some others, but the moment he is released from prison ALL of those rights are restored to him. All that is, except the right to keep and bear arms.

Let me repeat this one more time: If a convicted felon cannot be trusted with the right to keep and bear arms, the he should not be released from prison!

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Alexcabbie,

JohnnyB!

Goodbye JohnnyB!
where are you going?

btw my name is jethro,

ODA 226

imported post

jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Alexcabbie,

JohnnyB!

Goodbye JohnnyB!
where are you going?

btw my name is jethro,
Sure it is JohnnyB! You can be anyone you want to be on the internet JOHNNYB!

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

good luck guys

ODA can get a real job and tyler mattas (as if using real names is going to scare people) can quit community college and just skip right to mcdonalds.

now-hiring-losers.jpg

ODA 226

imported post

What name are you going to use the next time you get banned JohnnyB/TippsyMcStagger/JohnnyBliss/jopencarry? Just go away Johnny Boy.

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
What name are you going to use the next time you get banned JohnnyB/TippsyMcStagger/JohnnyBliss/jopencarry? Just go away Johnny Boy.
get a real job and stop leeching my money.

i pay for you to live. you should be kissing my boots.

ODA 226

imported post

jopencarry wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
get a real job and stop leeching my money.

i pay for you to live. you should be kissing my boots.
Comrade JohnnyB! Have you bowed down to the man and payed your taxes to the communist state? Thanks for paying for my house, my car, my gun collection, my food, my college tuition, my children's college tuition, my boat and everything thatI have and ever will have Comrade JohnnyB! Best of luck to ya little buddy! Your going to need it!