• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Needed some carriers in Tennessee today

MetalChris

imported post

jopencarry wrote:
isn't that one of the mall groups that doesn't allow weapons?
Surely not, because if it were, there's no way this could've happened! :X

PT111

imported post

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=9152446&nav=E8Yy
KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- Although police haven't released a motive yet, the mother of the suspect in the Knoxville Center Mall shooting says her son was a "displeased customer" of the menswear store where an employee was killed.

Gladys Johnson, who spoke to 6 News by phone Thursday,says she was shocked when she learnedher son, William Johnson,was charged in the shooting at Reno Menswear.

A Renoemployee, Ahmad Nahl, wasshot and killedWednesday afternoon. William Johnson is charged with onecount offelony murder.

Gladys Johnsonsays there wasan ongoing incident between her son and the storeover three suits he purchased there for a total ofnearly$1,000.

She saystwo of the suits weretailored incorrectly and the third suit wasmisplaced,buther son was denied a refund.

Gladys Johnsonsaysher sonhas a handgun permit, butrarely carried a gun.

Sheadds thathedoesn'thave a temper and always makes people laugh.

William Johnson was charged withassaultin Knox County in 1991. However, the chargewas later dismissed.

His mother also says he's the father ofa seven-year-old child.

unreconstructed1

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
allegedly, he was one of Tennessee's legal carriers. this isn't going to put CC/OC here in a good light....

Okay, authorities are now saying that they don't believe that he has an HCP after all.

Investigators believe Johnson doesn't have a concealed weapon permit. Mall management decides whether guns are allowed inside.
http://www.wate.com/global/story.asp?s=9154386

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
unreconstructed1 wrote:
allegedly, he was one of Tennessee's legal carriers. this isn't going to put CC/OC here in a good light....

Okay, authorities are now saying that they don't believe that he has an HCP after all.

Investigators believe Johnson doesn't have a concealed weapon permit. Mall management decides whether guns are allowed inside.
http://www.wate.com/global/story.asp?s=9154386
Hopefully it is the case that he does NOT have a CC license.

This is a great example of why we need to be armed. Even though the LEOs did a phenomenal job in responding and ending the situation in 4 minutes, for the store employee, 4 minutes was way too long and if he had turned the gun on other customers, 4 minutes would have been an eternity.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
This is a great example of why we need to be armed. Even though the LEOs did a phenomenal job in responding and ending the situation in 4 minutes, for the store employee, 4 minutes was way too long and if he had turned the gun on other customers, 4 minutes would have been an eternity.
The seconds that it takes to draw and engage to defend yourself could seem like an eternity. Four minutes is forever when the situation demands NOW.

Note to deepdiver - OK, Got your back now. :)

Yata hey

emsjeep

imported post

jopencarry wrote:
isn't that one of the mall groups that doesn't allow weapons?
can anyone confirm that, cause Simon owns like every mall in the country...around here at least

Evil Ernie

imported post

According to the WATE story above:
"The state Department of Safety says Johnson doesn't have a handgun carry permit."

Funny how there are sooooo many OC/CC'ers in this country and when this happens, there's not a single armed soul around.
I guess it's a case of "wrong place, wrong time".

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Funny how there are sooooo many OC/CC'ers in this country and when this happens, there's not a single armed soul around.
I guess it's a case of "wrong place, wrong time".
There was a guy who was OCing there. Right on the spot. Lumpy Lambert.

Knox County Commissioner Greg "Lumpy" Lambert said today he talked briefly face-to-face with the man accused of gunning down a store worker at Knoxville Center Mall just before police arrived.

"I did speak with the suspect," Lambert said this morning. "He was still in the store. He didn't say anything about the shooting, but I observed he was armed.

"It appeared to be a medium-sized handgun, probably a 9 mm or a .40-caliber. He didn't point it at me, so I didn't draw down on him."

Evil Ernie wrote:
"The state Department of Safety says Johnson doesn't have a handgun carry permit."
Just another goof with a gun...

rodbender

imported post

PT111 wrote:
KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- Although police haven't released a motive yet, the mother of the suspect in the Knoxville Center Mall shooting says her son was a "displeased customer" of the menswear store where an employee was killed.

Gladys Johnson, who spoke to 6 News by phone Thursday,says she was shocked when she learnedher son, William Johnson,was charged in the shooting at Reno Menswear.

A Renoemployee, Ahmad Nahl, wasshot and killedWednesday afternoon. William Johnson is charged with onecount offelony murder.

Gladys Johnsonsays there wasan ongoing incident between her son and the storeover three suits he purchased there for a total ofnearly$1,000.

She saystwo of the suits weretailored incorrectly and the third suit wasmisplaced,buther son was denied a refund.

William Johnson was charged withassaultin Knox County in 1991. However, the chargewas later dismissed.

Trying to figure out why you would change the above line. It reads in the article as below.

The state Department of Safety says Johnson doesn't have a handgun carry permit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

rodbender wrote:
PT111 wrote:
snip.........

Trying to figure out why you would change the above line. It reads in the article as below.

The state Department of Safety says Johnson doesn't have a handgun carry permit.
Disinformation is by any definition disinformation.

We must constantly be alert for such as this. Good catch Rodbender.

Yata hey

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

PT111 wrote:

Although I have no idea why the change was made to the written article, the information that the mother said he had a permit comes from a news video about the incident.

unreconstructed1

imported post

rodbender wrote:

The article originally read as PT posted it, however once they found out that he didn't have one, the article was edited in order to show the truth.

do you really believe that they would just randomly post that he didn't have a permit? They never concede that fact unless necessary.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
rodbender wrote:

The article originally read as PT posted it, however once they found out that he didn't have one, the article was edited in order to show the truth.

do you really believe that they would just randomly post that he didn't have a permit? They never concede that fact unless necessary.

Thank you. THAT makes sense. I've seen other sites update their articles online, so I should have remembered that.

rodbender

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
rodbender wrote:

OK, I didn't have the opportunity to read the original article.

unreconstructed1

imported post

rodbender wrote:
OK, I didn't have the opportunity to read the original article.
no problem. Tennesee "journalists" are notorious for throwing something out there quickly that will be "sensational" only to correct themselves as quietly as humanly possible, if at all.

PT111

imported post

I did not change that line in the article, evidently the news staff did. I copied it exactly as it was written.

If you notice I posted it on Oct. 9 and the article in the link says it was updated on Oct. 10.

I would have no reason to make such a change and there were several posts about whether or not he had a permit.