• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Needed some carriers in Tennessee today

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

HardChrome wrote:
Where were the people who were packing?

Guy was right there, packing. On the spot.

He (Lambert)even talked to the shooter after he had shot the store clerk. The story is a little hazy as to why he didn't do anything else. Looks like he elected to not draw but serve as a good witness instead. That may have been a very good choice, it's hard to tell from the report, although Lambert's comment indicates he believed he wasnot the right man for the job.

Certainly, for a LAC who is packing, it's not always a good thing to pull out the ole pistola and start pointing it and/or shooting it. Sometimes, it is best to just keep it in the holster and stay out of the way. Let the pros handle it.

Actually, the gun carrying community looks good on this one. Lambert used his judgment to avoid armed engagement even though his gun was instantly available to him.

Of course, sometimes it is quite appropriate for the CC/OCer to deploy a firearm. Even mandatory. Alas, this Tennessee case wasn't one of them.

Lambert says he spoke to suspect in shooting

Commissioner had gun during visit to Knoxville Center
By Matt Lakin (Contact)
Friday, October 10, 2008

Knox County Commissioner Greg "Lumpy" Lambert

Police came running to the scene of the shots, but Lumpy says he got there first.

Knox County Commissioner Greg "Lumpy" Lambert said he'd gone to Knoxville Center mall on Wednesday to see the dentist then heard the commotion and shouts that someone had been shot. He says he got to the Reno Mens Wear store just in time to talk face to face with the man accused of gunning down a clerk.

"I did speak with the suspect," Lambert said Thursday. "He was still in the store. He didn't say anything about the shooting, but I observed he was armed.

"It appeared to be a medium-sized handgun, probably a 9 mm or a .40-caliber. He didn't point it at me, so I didn't draw down on him."

Lambert represents Northwest Knox County's 6th District and carries a special deputy card issued by the Knox County Sheriff's Office. The commissioner, who says he always carries a gun, had brought his Kel-Tec .380-caliber pistol to the mall with him.

It's the same gun Lambert used two years ago to chase off a would-be robber from his car dealership in Powell. Authorities later charged the suspect in that incident with murder in the death of a Knoxville truck driver.

Lambert said he didn't have glory on his mind as he bounded down the mall corridor.

"I went running to see what I could do," he said. "I saw the mall security guards were unarmed."

Lambert said he followed the guards to the store and got there about a minute before Knoxville Police Department officers arrived. Police say William Norman Johnson, 42, had just shot Ahmed Nahl, a 29-year-old clerk, after an argument over clothes Johnson bought there.

"I could see part of the guy's body," Lambert said. "He was near the front of the store. I saw the guy was armed with a handgun. I asked him to put it down."

The commissioner won't say exactly what Johnson said but says it was enough to make him realize the situation needed a delicate hand.

"He didn't comply," Lambert said. "He was very agitated, and I backed out. I'm not a policeman, and I'm not a psychiatrist. I decided the best thing to do was to watch and report to law enforcement."

Lambert said he tried to dial E-911 from his cell phone, couldn't get through, and ended up calling Sheriff Jimmy "J.J." Jones on speed-dial. He said he heard but didn't watch the gun battle with police.

"I didn't see who shot first," Lambert said. "But I think the officers acted very professionally and quickly. I believe they did what they had to do. I drove myself to police headquarters afterward to be interviewed."

Police didn't confirm Lambert's account but said he's given a statement and cooperated with investigators.

"Mr. Lambert was there during a portion of this incident," KPD spokesman Darrell DeBusk said.

Lambert said Johnson never showed any sign of trying to leave the store for a mall-wide rampage. He said he's glad he could offer his help.

"It looked like an isolated incident to me," the commissioner said. "Whatever the situation was, I think it was just one guy.

"Just because you have a carry permit, you're not going to stop a homicidal person from committing a violent act. But carry permits ensure there are more armed good guys in the vicinity."

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/oct/10/lambert-says-he-spoke-to-suspect-in-shooting/

rodbender

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I did not change that line in the article, evidently the news staff did. I copied it exactly as it was written.

If you notice I posted it on Oct. 9 and the article in the link says it was updated on Oct. 10.

I would have no reason to make such a change and there were several posts about whether or not he had a permit.
Yes, I know now. unreconstructed1 told me of the edit. Although it does say the article was edited, it doesn't say what the edit was. My mistake. Be cool, dude.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HankT wrote:
HardChrome wrote:

snip.....

"It looked like an isolated incident to me," the commissioner said. "Whatever the situation was, I think it was just one guy.

"Just because you have a carry permit, you're not going to stop a homicidal person from committing a violent act. But carry permits ensure there are more armed good guys in the vicinity."
Excellant quote - there should be more like him.

Yata hey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
HankT wrote:
HardChrome wrote:

snip.....

Excellant quote - there should be more like him.
Hey, Grapeshot!

Does not seem OC related at all.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hey, Grapeshot!

Does not seem OC related at all.

Yata hey
I did not originate the thread.

What's the "T" stand for now that your treatments are over? :)

Ya-ta-hay