• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheap/Bulk Ammunition

malignity

imported post

So lately, I've been having this urge to go to the range. A lot. I live in a small apartment, and can't afford all of the stuff to reload my own, so unfortunately that hasn't really been an option for me, especially without a garage, or work room of sorts. I've been making a conscious effort however, to 'price shop' for ammo all around the metro Detroit area, and online.

So far, I've found Wal-Mart to be the cheapest. As much as I love Wal-Mart, I'm simply shocked that this is the cheapest place to buy ammo in bulk, even over online places, Cabela's, etc. I've seen ridiculous jumps in price in some places too. For example, I use .40 cal, and Wal-Mart sells Blazer Brass for $12.47 a box. I went to Gander Mountain, and they're selling it for $19.99 a box. That's like a HUGE difference, and they're identical.

So my question is, does anyone else know of any cheap places to buy ammo? Like I said, I've been checking around on even online places, and I've yet to see anything come close to those Blazer Brass boxes, not even Wolf Ammo (*shudder*). I really don't care how dirty it is, or if it's FMJ, as long as it's 180 grain. I have no problems cleaning up after dirty ammo.

Thanks

warlockmatized

imported post

Walmart and Dunhams are the cheapest places i have found. I HATE supporting Walmart but, in these trying times one has to do what they have to do.

ETA: Sometimes Dunhams is even cheaper than Wally World, when "on sale".

Michigander

imported post

You CAN afford to reload. For the cost of a larger range outing (under a hundred bucks), you can get a lee hand press, a powder measure spoon set, dies, a primer tool, and a lee case trimmer. You don't even really need a tumbler. I used to let my brass sit in mineral spirits over night, let them dry for a day or so, load them up, then steel wool them to the point of shininess.

Seriously, it's cheap, it's very compact, and it will pay for itself in no more than 2 range trips with a good deal of centerfire ammo shot up. Don't waste money on factory ammo unless it's for SD or hunting, and even for that you might eventually find you'd prefer to load your own specialty ammo.

ChuckB

imported post

Honestly Top Gun's prices are pretty much in line with Wally World.... Their reloads which I now shoot are even cheaper (100 round boxes only). I think the prices are:

9mm $19.99

.40 $23.xx

.45 $just raised to $26.xx

I've been shooting these rounds fora month or two now and have had zero problems.

ghostrider

imported post

Don't give up on reloading just yet. It can be done on the cheap. I've done it, and live in a small apartment.

You can get a Lee hand loader press for about $30. Dies have been known to go on sale at Midway for $22.79 (on sale right now). Lee's Auto Prime priming tool is $12, and a scale can be had for about $21. Powder trickler for $13. $18 for the powder measure if you want one. That's enough to get you started. Then all you need is bullets, brass, powder and primers, and your ready to reload. You'll eventually decide that there are other things you'll need, but that will allow you to start reloading for under $150. Oh, and you'll also want one or two reloading blocks, figure max $10 each. I prefer the MTM tray myself.

For about $100 or less, you can get one of the kits (Turret or challanger). Get yourself a Black N' Decker Workmate from Lowes (Dad's cost about $70), and find a plank ($12 at Lowe's) to mount it on.

There's options out there for you to get into reloading. It just depends on if your willing to do it that way. Some will find it easier to just buy ammo.

malignity

imported post

I guess partially I'm simply intimidated by the process. I'm a relatively new gun owner, and I'm not exactly sure what I need to get started. Some of the stuff I saw for reloading ran up to a thousand dollars, which is why I thought I wouldn't be able to afford it. If it's really not that expensive, it might be worth investing in. I don't need anything special like FMJ's, I just want something I can plink around in at the range.

Thanks for the tips by the way. :)

ghostrider

imported post

malignity wrote:
I guess partially I'm simply intimidated by the process. I'm a relatively new gun owner, and I'm not exactly sure what I need to get started. Some of the stuff I saw for reloading ran up to a thousand dollars, which is why I thought I wouldn't be able to afford it. If it's really not that expensive, it might be worth investing in. I don't need anything special like FMJ's, I just want something I can plink around in at the range.

Thanks for the tips by the way. :)
Go to your public library and ask if they have "The ABC's Of Reloading". The Grand Rapids Public Library has it, hopefully yours will be able to get it. I also was intimidated by the whole process, but after talking to some people and doing some reading, not so much. Then I was fortunate enough to find someone who was willing to walk me through the first time.

Read this thread on THR:

ETA:
You can spend greater amounts of money, but you don't need to. You may eventually want a tumbler. Midway regularly sales the kits for $60.

If you do your research, take your time, and don't try to push the envelope, you should be fine. The .40 S&W is already a high pressure cartridge, but there are specs to load it within a safe limit. The reloading companies are also helpful if you have questions. I called up Alliant with a question about a bullet I had that I couldn't find information for. They called me back when they had the answer.

There are also forums where you can go to draw from the vast experience that others have. THR has a good reloading sub forum, as does Glocktalk. Go to those places if you want to ask questions. Just understand that like any other product, there are going to be some biased opinions (You'll hear about the Red v. Blue debate, for Dillon or Hornady).

My personal advice is if it's practical and affordable for you. Get the Kit with the Lee Classic Turret press. Both Kempf's (https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41), and Cabelas (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0044122216337a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=18&Ntk=Products&QueryText=lee&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1) has different versions of them depending on your needs. The Kemhf shop allows you to pretty much tailor the kit to your needs, and you can upgrade different parts of it (like getting the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure, which I recommend).

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=260245

Another good read is the Lee reloading manual (titled "Modern Reloading", by Richard Lee). It's a good book to have as well since it will have probably any data you'll need to reload plinking ammo.

Michigander

imported post

It really is dumbfoundingly easy. If you really just want to get your feet wet, you can get a crappy Lee Classic loader for under 20 bucks, and that will have everything you need to reload, aside from components and a hammer. Only problem is it only resizes the case neck, so they don't work to resize loads for semi autos. Great for revolvers though.

With putting in primers, if you want to be as cheap as possible, you can pop primers into empty casings with a hammer. Very gently, and again with EMPTY casings, and about 1/100 will probably pop, but that is all you need to get the job done. But keep in mind that if you have a hand press or a classic loader you'll be all set for primer installing.

To itemize with approximate prices what you'll need if you got the hand press at cabelas:

Hand press- 30 bucks

Trimmer and primer tool- 6 bucks

Dies- 15-35 bucks (watch out for RGB dies which lack a shell holder)

Powder measure set- 6 bucks

After that it's just components, and a tumbler if you eventually want one. That's really all you need, it's that easy, it works perfectly, and you can make really great ammo. To not do it is to throw your money away.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
...To not do it is to throw your money away.
I just bought 1000 lead bullets (125gr) for $62. Primers are about $26/1000, and powder is about $12-$18/lb (gets you about 2000+ rounds). Brass is free. If I want to go with FMJ, it's about $10 per 100, JHP is $12/100 (both 115gr). Montana Gold sells jacked bullets for $93/1000, or $287/case (4000).

Walmart sells the cheapest ammo out there for 115gr Winchester @ about $19/100rnds. If you find a heavier bullet, it's even more.

Carolina40

imported post

cheap? no problem.

dirty? clean after each trip to the range.

bad rep -- not from me.

malignity

imported post

Wolf ammo has a terrible reputation typically, and is not allowed to be used at the range I shoot at. I've heard of casings damaging barrels upon injections as well, due to a failure to eject in some guns. I'd rather not take the chance. I haven't seen wolf ammo for less than $12.47 a box though either. ;)

SQLtables

imported post

malignity wrote:
Wolf ammo has a terrible reputation typically, and is not allowed to be used at the range I shoot at. I've heard of casings damaging barrels upon injections as well, due to a failure to eject in some guns. I'd rather not take the chance. I haven't seen wolf ammo for less than $12.47 a box though either. ;)
Well, I've never had any problems, and I'll continue to use it until I start reloading. Personal preferences :) $12.47/box for what?