• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheap/Bulk Ammunition

malignity

imported post

It's a hard price to beat I think. At first, I thought it was on sale, but I came back two weeks later, and it was still the same price.

adam40cal

imported post

This is the reloading setup I have, and I love it works great!

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1224417890.1836=/html/catalog/lp1000.html

And this is another press thats cheaper, takes more time to make a bunch of ammo but its great for newbies to the reloading world. I suggest buying the kit that comes with everything you'll need. You'll save money buying the kit and hastle of trying to find everything. Best of luck to ya :cool:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1224417890.1836=/html/catalog/anivers.html

SQLtables

imported post

I really want to get into reloading, and Michigander's mention of the Lee Classic loader looked promising, except that I want to start out just reloading my .40SW. I don't really know anything about reloading yet, but want to learn. After a quick search, I couldn't find the classic for .40, which was expected from Michigander's comments.

Are there any other cheap options just to get started for .40SW?

ghostrider

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
I really want to get into reloading, and Michigander's mention of the Lee Classic loader looked promising, except that I want to start out just reloading my .40SW. I don't really know anything about reloading yet, but want to learn. After a quick search, I couldn't find the classic for .40, which was expected from Michigander's comments.

Are there any other cheap options just to get started for .40SW?
I went on their website, and it doesn't look like they make it in .40.

you could get a press for around $24, but then you'll have to buy the dies. Look to spend about $100-$150 getting started.

You could try these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=480380

My friend used one of these for years. It will get you started.

You could also get one of these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=121744

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423081

There is also this available from Cabelas (they also carry the previously mentined two kits):

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0032406215925a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=lee&sort=all&Go.y=16&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=21&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0032404215922a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=lee&sort=all&Go.y=16&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=21&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Keep in mind that you’ll also need to order dies (they may be pictured, but they aren't included), and at least one reloading block. You can also go to gun shows to find deals.

Like I said, I started out with a Lee Hand Loader.

ghostrider

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
Thanks for that info!

I guess I'm a bit confused on what I NEED and what is optional. Can anybody clear that up?

ETA: Is this getting too far OT? Should I start a new thread?
Did you read my thehighroad link on the first page of this thread?

SQLtables

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Thanks for that info!

I guess I'm a bit confused on what I NEED and what is optional. Can anybody clear that up?

ETA: Is this getting too far OT? Should I start a new thread?
Did you read my thehighroad link on the first page of this thread?
When I tried it at work it didn't work, but it may have been a problem with the internet there. I'll head over there now.

SQLtables

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
It was giving a database error now... but then I realized that it's thehighroad.us now..
I don't understand. I clicked on the link and it went straight to it. :?
HAHA weird, it works for me now too.. just bad timing I guess...

thanks for the link though. It was very helpful! It seems like buying a hand press won't save a ton of money, because you still have to buy everything else, but it might be ok for now so I don't have to find a place to mount a press...

ghostrider

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
It was giving a database error now... but then I realized that it's thehighroad.us now..
I don't understand. I clicked on the link and it went straight to it. :?
HAHA weird, it works for me now too.. just bad timing I guess...

thanks for the link though. It was very helpful! It seems like buying a hand press won't save a ton of money, because you still have to buy everything else, but it might be ok for now so I don't have to find a place to mount a press...
Don't jump into it without first looking at all your options. A hand press is much cheaper than something like a turret press, but not cheaper than a Lee Reloader Press. I use a Hand Press because I don't have room to set up a bench, but if you've got room...

There are different options. As with everything, figure out what you want to accomplish, and then decide your maximum budget.

TBH, I think the best deal is that Classic Turret Press, but I know it sounds pricy.

Look on the bright side. At least you know what you want to do with it. Load .40. :D

Rob Washeleski

imported post

I use the Lee Breech Lock Challenger press, and I think it is the best of both worlds (single stage and turret). The reason why is that the die goes into a bushing instead of the actual press. Set the die exactly how you want it, and depressing the quick release lets you turn the bushing 1/3 turn and the whole thing comes out. The next time you need to use that die you just drop it in, give it a twist, and it is set exactly where it was before. You get the rigidity of the single stage press with the quick die change of the turret. My friend has the lee turret press, and he is having some problems loading rifle ammo on it due to the auto-index feature and overall rigidity problems. I load 9mm, .45 ACP, .44 Magnum, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54r, and 6.5x55 with no problems at all, and my handloads exceed factory accuracy without any dedicated effort. For my carry piece's practice ammo I load .45 ACP with 5 grains of Red Dot and a 230 grain JHP @900 fps for $14/100. I can cut that to $8/100 or so with lead bullets.

For my setup I bought a 4 ft piece of 3/4" thick counter top at Home Depot, reinforced it with a sheet of 3/4" plywood underneath, and built the legs and foot rest out or 2x4s. It doesn't take up much space at all in my apartment, and at my old place I had it in my bedroom. I'll try to remember to take some pics tonight and post them. As others have said, reloading is as easy as falling down. Just pay attention and don't do other things while you reload. That is when skipped charges and double charges happen. As a general reloading tip to everyone, I always try to select a powder and charge such that it takes up over half of the case. That way a double charge wont let a bullet be seated, and a missing charge shows you shinny brass at the bottom of the case. I know, you always should have a decent charge density, but these days people are trying to save money by using shotgun powders in very small amounts, which can lead to double charging.

-Rob

SQLtables

imported post

Thanks again for all the info guys; it's been very helpful.

Hopefully I'm not asking too much, but where do you buy your supplies (powder, bullets, primers)? I noticed that Midway charges a $20 haz mat fee, at least on primers...and that almost doubles the cost for some.

ghostrider

imported post

Google Montana Gold. They have good bullets, at good prices (especially if you buy in bulk). Go to gun shows. Find who reloads in your area, and ask where they get components at (word of mouth is how I found my place). Hang out at places like GlockTalk's reloading section, and the same on THR. Always scan the reloading section threads. Good deals are often mentioned there.

Also, don't know if I mentioned it yet, but go to your library and ask if they can get any books on reloading. Mine has "The ABC's Of Reloading" (a standard in the industry).

pamopar

imported post

I have been reloading for the major handgun caliburs forabout 20 years. I started with a Lee challenger press it was a little sow but operated flawlessly for probably over 250,000+ rounds. I updated to a Dilon square deal(9mm) and 550. I appreciate the experience of a single stage pressbut when i updated to the square deal i couldn't beleive it was that easy. I purchase my powder and primers from local gunshops or gunshows. The Hazmat fee is prohibitive unless you are buying alot of supplies. There are alot of bullet suppliers online and if you shop around you can get a good deal. I prefer the plated bullets by Ranier or Berry for my Glocks and lead in my 1911's.

dukenukum

imported post

I started with and still use a Lyman 310 tool for a lot of handloading I shoot at least twice a month both rifle and pistol , to save more money I cast my own bullets .
when I lived in a efficiency apt. here is a list of tools I used
Lyman reloading books
hand press for full length sizing ( rifle and pistol )
Lyman 310 tool for neck expanding and seating ( rifle and pistol )
rcbs 5.10 scales
small lee furnace for melting lead ( done outside )
bullet molds ( at the time only had four )
wood dowel ( for operating sprue cutter on molds )
sizer die .311 ( fit 310 tool )
for shot gun I had the lee load tool and hammer
powders :
one pound 3031 for 30-06
red dot for shot gun
one pound 2 f black powder for .50 cal flint lock
one pound 3 f black powder for .32 cal small game rifle
primers 1000 large rifle and 1000 shot shell
all except powder and primers went into a wooden box .
reloading need not take a lot of room or money .