Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Law says you can't carry in a hospital...

State Researcher

Post imported post

So work brought me into a hospital today, and I noticed a sign out front that stated something to the effect of "By State Law, it is UNLAWFUL to possess any firearm in a hospital. G.S. 14-415.23" Of course, I saw this and thought WTF?! So I went home and googled that general statute:

§ 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity.

It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks. (1995, c. 398, s. 1.)
    Where the crap do people get their information? :?

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    So work brought me into a hospital today, and I noticed a sign out front that stated something to the effect of "By State Law, it is UNLAWFUL to possess any firearm in a hospital. G.S. 14-415.23" Of course, I saw this and thought WTF?! So I went home and googled that general statute:

§ 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity.

It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks. (1995, c. 398, s. 1.)
    Always fun to see stff like that. I wonder if that would constitute the "posting" requirement to ban CCW?

Unless the hospital is government owned?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    G00gle.

Information is but the source of premises to a syllogism lost in primary school and without good premises and a good syllogism one is left with democratic conclusions.

Post imported post

They may be citing that law because some hospitals have their own "campus police"similar to universities and that would make them a "governmental entity". I know that Pitt Memorial in Greenville is associated with ECU and prohibits weapons in the buildings.

Post imported post

The language in the law to watch out for, if I remember correctly, is that carry in a hospital is prohibited if it is a teaching hospital. Most are.

Post imported post

p85 wrote:
    The language in the law to watch out for, if I remember correctly, is that carry in a hospital is prohibited if it is a teaching hospital. Most are.
    This is my understanding also. They consider it an educational facility. And we all know we can't carry on educational property.

Post imported post

If it's a county owned or managed hospital, it could be considered a "local government building."

Post imported post

yeah that has always been my understanding that hospitals were government owned buildings and there fore prohibited.

State Researcher

Post imported post

southernbnb wrote:
    yeah that has always been my understanding that hospitals were government owned buildings and there fore prohibited.
    Remind me which law bans firearms from ANY government building...

Post imported post

§ 14‑269.4. Weapons on State property and in courthouses.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, or carry, whether openly or concealed, any deadly weapon, not used solely for instructional or officially sanctioned ceremonial purposes in the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and in any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice. If a court is housed in a building containing nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes.

From NC General Statures

Doesn't seem to specify much else for state gov. property.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Well that law only makes it illegal to carry in very specific places:

State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and in any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice.

It even goes on to narrow down the ban, by saying that if the building is multi-purpose, then only the area that has a court in it is off limits, and only while being used for court purposes.

Since there is no blanket statement in this law, it seems that it doesn't apply to any other State or city government building, besides the ones listed. This is contrary to what most people think.

Post imported post

I agree with you, I thought that there were more gov. off limits. Feds may have a few to add such as post office etc.

State Researcher

Post imported post

p85 wrote:
    I agree with you, I thought that there were more gov. off limits. Feds may have a few to add such as post office etc.
    But that's federal property you're getting into. The fact is, most State property is not off limits according to that law.

Post imported post

The reason most people think carrying in a state-owned bulding,. or state ofices is from the Concealed Carry Permit section:
    § 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in. . .in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

Post imported post

I agree. My point is that most people probably confuse the issue of federal vs. state property. State doesn't limit much.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ray, you're right. This is another situation where concealed carry isn't authorized by the permit, but open carry is perfectly legal since there's nothing that says you can't.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    Ray, you're right. This is another situation where concealed carry isn't authorized by the permit, but open carry is perfectly legal since there's nothing that says you can't.
    But I bet you won't get far before you are told to leave and disarm, or someone calls the cops.

State Researcher

Post imported post

RayBurton72 wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    But I bet you won't get far before you are told to leave and disarm, or someone calls the cops.
    You're probably right, but we can't let that stop us. People said that about banks, too, but I've successfully open carried into banks multiple times and have never had the cops called on me.

Post imported post

I ALWAYS open carry into banks. I've done it in front of police and deputies. Assert yourself and it will be alright, usually.
    Subsisto tutus. Subsisto secundus emendatio.

Tyrants come in all shapes and sizes, as do those who do their bidding. Anyone who tells you that the threat of tyranny is long over, is either a fool, an enemy, or BOTH.

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA

Post imported post

Why is this post even here? Hospitals are STATE GOVERNMENT OWNED.

Very surpring that several of you do not know that already.

Who did you fine gentlemen think owns our hospitals?

Post imported post

BRobb19 wrote:

I will disagree, they are not all gov owned:

Novant Health is a not-for-profit, integrated healthcare system in western North Carolina that serves more than 3.5 million people in 34 counties reaching from southern Virginia to northern South Carolina. Novant was formed July 1, 1997 by the merger of Carolina Medicorp of Winston-Salem, North Carolina and Presbyterian Health Services of Charlotte, North Carolina.

Novant Health owns Presbyterian Hospital,a private, non-profit regional medical center andone of the largest health care institutions in the Carolinas.

The government does not own this, and I suspect, most other hospitals. The exceptions may be some State Institutions (VA, etc.) those are vastly different then hospitals.

-R

Post imported post

BRobb19 wrote:

Umm, private, often not-for profit, Healthcare companies, such as

Moses Cone Healthcare system which owns about a dozen hospitals in and around Greensboro, NC.

Wake Forest University BAPTIST Medical Center

BRobb19: Try to dial down the sarcasm, especially when you don't know what you are talking about - it makes you look like a troll

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA

Post imported post

WTF? Where do you think they receive their funding? Millions and millions of dollars are required just to open a small hospital. Do you think they come from donations from John Smith and Mark Jones? Do you think they come from the $5 donations that you and your mom might donate?

The money comes from GOVERNMENT funding.

Do your own research, you sound like an idiot.

Post imported post

Duke University Hospital-----Private.

Durham Regional Hospital----Private.

Duke-Raleigh Hospital-----Private.
    Central Carolina Hospital----Private

Alamance Regional Medical Center---Private.

Cape Fear Valley MedicalCenter---Private.

Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center--Private.

Also, just because something is government funded does not mean it is government owned.

JM2C

Post imported post

Not all hospitals are government/state/county owned. Our company sales software to hospitals, so we're well aware of who owns each hospital. If you would like to research it for yourself, go to http://www.AHD.com and click on the "Free Hospital Information" link, which will give you an array of information on every hospital in this country, including their "Type of Control" or ownership.

Now, hospitals are regulated by the state agency called DFS or DHHS, but they're just a regualting agency who ensures the hospital is providing appropriate care to the patients.

Just because they get funding from the government, such as medicare/medicaid, doesn't mean they are government/state owned. Only a portion of revenue generated by a hospital is paid via Medicare/Medicaid, but that does not constitue ownership by any governement. The majority of hospitals in NC are privately owned hospitals. That's like saying banks that borrow federal money from the government to make loans available are governement owned. Then again, before much longer they probably will be partially owned, at the taxpayers expense. I'll get off of my short soapbox now...

You probably shouldn't be calling people idiots, before doing your research...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast