• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Law says you can't carry in a hospital...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So work brought me into a hospital today, and I noticed a sign out front that stated something to the effect of "By State Law, it is UNLAWFUL to possess any firearm in a hospital. G.S. 14-415.23" Of course, I saw this and thought WTF?! So I went home and googled that general statute:

§ 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity.

It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks. (1995, c. 398, s. 1.)

Where the crap do people get their information? :?

RayBurton72

imported post

DreQo wrote:
So work brought me into a hospital today, and I noticed a sign out front that stated something to the effect of "By State Law, it is UNLAWFUL to possess any firearm in a hospital. G.S. 14-415.23" Of course, I saw this and thought WTF?! So I went home and googled that general statute:

§ 14‑415.23. Statewide uniformity.

It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14‑415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks. (1995, c. 398, s. 1.)

Where the crap do people get their information? :?

Always fun to see stff like that. I wonder if that would constitute the "posting" requirement to ban CCW?

Unless the hospital is government owned?

Scrub

imported post

They may be citing that law because some hospitals have their own "campus police"similar to universities and that would make them a "governmental entity". I know that Pitt Memorial in Greenville is associated with ECU and prohibits weapons in the buildings.

p85

imported post

The language in the law to watch out for, if I remember correctly, is that carry in a hospital is prohibited if it is a teaching hospital. Most are.

partemisio

imported post

p85 wrote:
The language in the law to watch out for, if I remember correctly, is that carry in a hospital is prohibited if it is a teaching hospital. Most are.
This is my understanding also. They consider it an educational facility. And we all know we can't carry on educational property.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

southernbnb wrote:
yeah that has always been my understanding that hospitals were government owned buildings and there fore prohibited.
Remind me which law bans firearms from ANY government building...

p85

imported post

§ 14‑269.4. Weapons on State property and in courthouses.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, or carry, whether openly or concealed, any deadly weapon, not used solely for instructional or officially sanctioned ceremonial purposes in the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and in any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice. If a court is housed in a building containing nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes.

From NC General Statures

Doesn't seem to specify much else for state gov. property.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well that law only makes it illegal to carry in very specific places:

State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and in any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice.

It even goes on to narrow down the ban, by saying that if the building is multi-purpose, then only the area that has a court in it is off limits, and only while being used for court purposes.

Since there is no blanket statement in this law, it seems that it doesn't apply to any other State or city government building, besides the ones listed. This is contrary to what most people think.

p85

imported post

I agree with you, I thought that there were more gov. off limits. Feds may have a few to add such as post office etc.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

p85 wrote:
I agree with you, I thought that there were more gov. off limits. Feds may have a few to add such as post office etc.
But that's federal property you're getting into. The fact is, most State property is not off limits according to that law.

RayBurton72

imported post

The reason most people think carrying in a state-owned bulding,. or state ofices is from the Concealed Carry Permit section:
§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in. . .in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

p85

imported post

I agree. My point is that most people probably confuse the issue of federal vs. state property. State doesn't limit much.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ray, you're right. This is another situation where concealed carry isn't authorized by the permit, but open carry is perfectly legal since there's nothing that says you can't.

RayBurton72

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Ray, you're right. This is another situation where concealed carry isn't authorized by the permit, but open carry is perfectly legal since there's nothing that says you can't.
But I bet you won't get far before you are told to leave and disarm, or someone calls the cops. :)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

RayBurton72 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
But I bet you won't get far before you are told to leave and disarm, or someone calls the cops. :)
You're probably right, but we can't let that stop us. People said that about banks, too, but I've successfully open carried into banks multiple times and have never had the cops called on me.