• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know anything about BP Checkpoints at Newhalem?

Jared

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
There are several videos on YouTube about the WA checkpoints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8depAXJ6M4

While I am not discounting their concerns over the checkpoint. I have two thoughts.

1. I have no sympathy for illegal aliens being caught and removed from the United States. I don't care that it breaks up families, by putting drunk drivers in jail families are being broken up.

2. Would these "civil rights" activist be protesting over Washington State's unconstutional treatment of non-citizens and firearms. I somehow doubt it.

David.Car

imported post

Jared wrote:
1. I have no sympathy for illegal aliens being caught and removed from the United States.
I believe illegal immigrants are the number 1 problem this country faces right now. I also strongly believe they are one of the leading contributing factors to the current economic break down. (See articles about over 5,000,000 fraudulent mortgages done by illegal aliens)

I want them out of this country more than most people, but I see nothing to gain by finding them through conducting illegal suspicious-less checkpoints that violates every Americans rights.

There has been a long line of things in history that have been done under the claim of national security, or being good for the people, that are done through means that violate laws/rights. They pretty much never end well, usually leading to even more rights violations.

Stopping every vehicle without suspicion for illegal immigrants is only 1 step above going door to door and searching your home for illegal immigrants.

flagwaver

imported post

WOW !!!!!! I had no idea, this is really scary. I will never travel to Mexico again partly because of their check points but mostly because of their thug stile tactics. Your papers please or you will be arrested and sent to the camp.

Gene Beasley

imported post

David.Car wrote:
They were very rare and limited for a number of years until the BS SCOTUS loophole they have been using since the 70's. But the number of checkpoints has always been very minimal until the last 5 years or so.
Okay, so at the risk of taking this OT completely OT; this is one of the main reasons that I will hold my nose and vote for McCain.

<soapbox>I don't know the checkpoint loophole case or what year, but the probable two appointments to SCOTUS during the next presidential term should make everyone think before voting. The 5-4 court now in our favor could quickly become a 3-6 court not in our favor. And this crap lasts a long, long time.</soapbox>