• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC On the High Seas--Zac Sunderland

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Oh-My-God! A 16-year old with a gun! But it sure is reasonable, considering the circumstances.

It'd be great to get a picture of this kid with his revolver.

Sailor Zac Sunderland talks about self-defense
3:07 PM, October 9, 2008
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2008/10/sailor-zac-su-1.html

zac21_2.jpg

Some were critical of Outposts on Wednesday for publishing the fact that solo adventure sailor Zac Sunderland carries a gun.

I was merely gleaning from Sunderland’s blog, after reading about his recollection of placing bullets into a pistol, as a last resort, when he thought he might be falling under attack by pirates.

Thankfully, the culprits turned out to be passing fishermen, most likely, in a rickety 60-foot boat.

I reached Sunderland on his satellite phone Wednesday afternoon (Thursday morning where he was sailing, in the Indian Ocean) and the 16-year-old from Thousand Oaks said maritime law allows possession of guns on the open sea.

Since leaving Marina del Rey in June, Sunderland has turned his pistol over to authorities during each port of call. He picks it up before departing.

He does not plan on using a weapon. In fact, he said of Tuesday’s scare, involving a close approach of a large wooden boat that did not show on his radar and with a crew that did not respond to radio calls:

“I’m not sure how useful it’d be if there was a boat full of pirates. But I didn’t get to find out, so it’s a good thing, I guess.”

Sunderland, who is headed toward Cocos Keeling Islands and then on to Mauritius, is attempting to become the youngest sailor to circumnavigate the planet.

He's a little more than 10,000 miles into the journey.

--Pete Thomas

[align=center]--------------------------------------------------------------[/align]
Here's Sunderland's blog entry for the potentially threatening situation:

http://www.zacsunderland.com/blog/2008/10/update.html

Alexcabbie

imported post

Wonder if he intends to use the Suez Canal? That area is rife with pirates so I hope he isn't packing a lil' ol' .22.

IMO he should use the Panama Canal and mak a port call in Balboa/Panama City. I was stationed there in 1972-73 and enjoyed my tour of duty enormously.

And hey kid, don't forget to make that left toin at abecoickie!:celebrate