• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I did the unthinkable today....

WCrawford

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Chuck E. Cheese !

Yep, I did it. Had dinner there tonight with the kids and OC'd since they sell beer. Must have walked past at least 5 employees and no one said a word. Few parents looked but nothing unusual.

In the majority of these random events that are posted here, I have come to believe the employees and patrons feel the person carrying the gun is an off duty police officer. Even in the city-county I live in, I think if and when a police officer sees someone carrying a gun, they too assume it is an off duty police officer. Turnover in departments around here is so large the cops often don't even know each other week to week. I would even venture to guess that if the employees and patrons did know a person was not an off duty cop -- they would call the police. But all of this is speculation on my behalf.

They can assume whatever they like, as long as we don't ever claim to be a LEO if we are not.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Sheriff - I might agree with you, but there's a few differences.

Most off duty cops are not out there showing off their gun. If its displayed, they have a badge pinned up next to it. Aside from some fresh recruit out of ther academy, I cant think of any reason to display the gun openly and no badge if the person is a LEO. I really think that people are just a little clueless sometimes and in their own world and maybe do not even see the gun, or see the holster and assume its something else. Its the ones who are a little more aware of their surroundings that spot the gun and either accept it or panic :)

Sheriff

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Sheriff - I might agree with you, but there's a few differences.

Most off duty cops are not out there showing off their gun. If its displayed, they have a badge pinned up next to it.

I don't think the average gun hating soccer mom or blue collar dadknow this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Chuck E. Cheese !

Yep, I did it. Had dinner there tonight with the kids and OC'd since they sell beer. Must have walked past at least 5 employees and no one said a word. Few parents looked but nothing unusual.
In the majority of these random events that are posted here, I have come to believe the employees and patrons feel the person carrying the gun is an off duty police officer. Even in the city-county I live in, I think if and when a police officer sees someone carrying a gun, they too assume it is an off duty police officer. Turnover in departments around here is so large the cops often don't even know each other week to week. I would even venture to guess that if the employees and patrons did know a person was not an off duty cop -- they would call the police. But all of this is speculation on my behalf.
You travel in distinctly different circles than I do then as 90-95% of the OCers that I know (it is a very sizeable number) could not look less like off duty LEOs.

Yata hey

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

You travel in distinctly different circles than I do then as 90-95% of the OCers that I know (it is a very sizeable number) could not look less like off duty LEOs.

Yata hey

I'd agree with that... It may be departmental policy that off-duty cops must carry concealed... regardless of the state. I've never seen any Deputy's, Border Patrol or Park Rangersthat I recognize carrying openly here. 'Next time I see one, I'll ask 'em. The Border Patrol seem to be among the most gun friendly LEO's I've encountered. I think they would welcome 'civilian' backup readily if push came to shove.