• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Polite and non-vulgar

ml

imported post

I sometimes consider joining another forum that purports to be very polite. They also tell anyone that disagrees with that it a private site and they make the rules about how 'their ball' is played.

I haven't been able to bring myself to join, although politeness and non-vulgarity seem like they would enhance the world.

Why? Because to sign up, I have to read the rules. The rules say I must make my first post an introduction. The first (sticky) title in that forum talks about "post whoring."

The post appears to be made by the SuperModerator (tm). It is the first thing a rule-abiding member sees.

I know there is whoring in the bible, but so is the jawbone of an [bottom]. Everything about the word and concept of whoring is vulgar and not family friendly.

I'm sure the Site Admin is a great guy in real life. I believe hipocrisy like this hurts the cause of 2A and frankly makes the appearance that even the most polite (and presumably responsible) pro-gun people are unable to see simple conflicts.

I'm sure it must seem clever to say such a creative thing, but it strikes me as very unsophisticated to call people whores. Whoring probably does fit nicely into some families, I guess.

ml

imported post

Please reread the third sentence from the end.

I like discussing firearms too, but I believe most of our concerns are political, not with the firearms themselves.

Open carry itself is a simple act. The thing that justifies having a forum is the issues and politics. If not for those, we would just need one article describing how to open carry. Buy firearm and holster. Insert firearm into holster. Carry within view.

Things that don't stand up to logic, such as what I mentioned, hurt us all.

Thank you for welcoming me. I've read this site for a long time and I'm not a troll. I'm sure many people have noticed the behavior I mentioned, and I'm certain it relates to firearm ownership.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Like the word Schmuck: When I was young and called my sister a schmuckand mymother about died and scolded me. She said coming from a Polish upbring, it was the same as a prick, very bad, but today you hear it on TV from time to time and is used to mean an idiot.

From wikipedia....

Schmuck is most often used in English as a pejorative or insult, meaning a stupid, foolish or detestable person.

Schmuck entered English as a borrowed word from Yiddish, where it is an obscene term literally meaning a foreskin or head of a penis, and an insult. In his famous cultural lexicon, The Joys of Yiddish, Leo Rosten lists the Yiddish schmuck as related to the Slovene word, šmok, meaning "a fool, an innocent, a gullible dolt".[verification needed][/suP]

[/suP]Another closely related word is the Polish "ćmok" or "ćwok", meaning an idiot or a fool

FogRider

imported post

I would suggest re-reading it. Since post-whoring (not an entirely accurate term, but almost universally known) is almost always considered a bad thing, and the forum you are talking about is supposed to be polite and non-vulgar, I would bet they are telling you not to post-whore. I have a feeling that you have your knickers in a knot over nothing. Unless you are worked up over the use of the word "whore", in which case I would tell you that you need a much thicker skin for the internet.

Could you post a link to the forum so I could take a peek at it? If you don't want to post it here you could send me a PM.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Welcome new member hope you find this fourm enjoyable. Tell us more about yourself also would like to invite you to our OC Event on the 11th

glock10mm

imported post

I have been dropping by here for awhile now. I have a current cwp and I oc. But, I can't hold my tongue anymore. This forum, is particularly a joke. I've noticed people come by, drop ablog, then get @#$% from the members here. This forum has a narcissistic feel to it and it seems everyone thinks their @#$% doesn't stink...Well, guess what? It does, as mine does too. And no, too all of you that are going to ask, I'm not going through pages of blogs and cut and paste my points on here, you are very capable of doing it yourself, it won't be hard.

And to all you who are going to berate me, maybe you are the problem here in this forum. This is suppose to welcome people and educate people about firearms carry. And yes, there are some good blogs up here, but go back and read them. Sometimes you all act like little children and it makes me sad that some of you represent our 2nd amd. right to bear firearms. We/It, has a bad rap so as it is...And here you all are, bickering, name calling and the like...Sad really.

ScottyT

imported post

glock10mm wrote:
I have been dropping by here for awhile now. I have a current cwp and I oc. But, I can't hold my tongue anymore. This forum, is particularly a joke. I've noticed people come by, drop ablog, then get @#$% from the members here. This forum has a narcissistic feel to it and it seems everyone thinks their @#$% doesn't stink...Well, guess what? It does, as mine does too. And no, too all of you that are going to ask, I'm not going through pages of blogs and cut and paste my points on here, you are very capable of doing it yourself, it won't be hard.

And to all you who are going to berate me, maybe you are the problem here in this forum. This is suppose to welcome people and educate people about firearms carry. And yes, there are some good blogs up here, but go back and read them. Sometimes you all act like little children and it makes me sad that some of you represent our 2nd amd. right to bear firearms. We/It, has a bad rap so as it is...And here you all are, bickering, name calling and the like...Sad really.
My shit stinks really bad -- my wife complains constantly.

Never forget:
internet-serious-business-by-life-conquest-at-flickr.jpg

I suggest investing in some special non-bunching panties.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

glock10mm wrote:

A welcome to you just the same.:D A forum is supposed to have diverse ideas expressed otherwise what's the point.

ainokea

imported post

ml wrote:
I sometimes consider joining another forum that purports to be very polite. They also tell anyone that disagrees with that it a private site and they make the rules about how 'their ball' is played.

I haven't been able to bring myself to join, although politeness and non-vulgarity seem like they would enhance the world.

Why? Because to sign up, I have to read the rules. The rules say I must make my first post an introduction. The first (sticky) title in that forum talks about "post whoring."

The post appears to be made by the SuperModerator (tm). It is the first thing a rule-abiding member sees.

I know there is whoring in the bible, but so is the jawbone of an [bottom]. Everything about the word and concept of whoring is vulgar and not family friendly.

I'm sure the Site Admin is a great guy in real life. I believe hipocrisy like this hurts the cause of 2A and frankly makes the appearance that even the most polite (and presumably responsible) pro-gun people are unable to see simple conflicts.

I'm sure it must seem clever to say such a creative thing, but it strikes me as very unsophisticated to call people whores. Whoring probably does fit nicely into some families, I guess.

Unless I am missing something your issue is with the term "post whoring", correct? I think it is an accurate anology because a "post whore"provides meaningless comments to boost their post numbers. While a "whore" provides meaningless sex to boost their financial numbers.

They both provide an meaningless service to boost numbers of some sort.

scorpioajr

imported post

ml wrote:
....I'm sure it must seem clever to say such a creative thing, but it strikes me as very unsophisticated to call people whores. Whoring probably does fit nicely into some families, I guess.
Welcome to the forums!

I understand and follow your logic; with regards to the above captioned... Sounds like you are more than able to bring your insight to us. Yes, while some will 'flame' you for any or every post, i wouldn't take it too seriously. Good group of guys here (Watch out for ThoughtPolice though..lol , j/k man.) We all love to answer questions and of course, to OC.

No matter how your feel about certain terms, or posts: I welcome you and look forward to reading more thoughts from your head.

ml

imported post

I'll comment on responses in order.

Doug Hoffman pointed out a logical fallacy. I'm certainly no stranger to the concept and I often refer to The Nizkor Project. http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

I don't think it was Doug's intention to prove my point, but he helped. The site I referenced takes a hard-line stance on the use of "vulgar" words. I'm supposing a member couldn't use the term in his post without having it edited out and being admonished. I can't really know without signing up but I doubt I'm welcome to try it out. I example of editing I used in my original post was lifted from the site. The word was changed to [bottom] even though the post was referring to an actual donkey.

Then Venator mentioned the word schmuck. I'm well aware of its history and I think one should be cautious using it in polite society. I appreciated the subtle reference to a fool. Perhaps I am one; perhaps not.

Then FogRider asked if it was the word I had a problem with. I sent him the site via PM and he took a look. Perhaps he'll chime in later. I don't have a problem with the word. I am surprised/amused/amazed it would be used as the first thing I see while following the rules on a site that prides itself on being (excessively, formally) polite.

FogRider also advised acquiring thicker Internet skin. I have it already. Enough said. I very much appreciated FogRider's politeness.

Gunsfreak4791 jumped in with a kind word and an invitation. I don't think I can make it but I will provide some insight as appropriate over time. I am sort of a private person, not "putting myself out there," so-to-speak. If I come off as a jerk (and not insightful) on this thread, I might drop out of sight completely.

Then Glock10mm jumped in with a post I don't understand. I'm not sure if he's defending me from attack or attacking me. It seems to be one of his/her first posts, so maybe my thread brought someone new into play. I appreciate the post though.

ScottyT wisely recommended non-bunching panties. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. These granny panties are a real PITA. After a quick search of the mentioned site, I see several references to panties, so I guess I could wear them there.

Glock10mm agreed on the presumably less-substantial panties. I hope he/she realizes I'm saying something similar about the referenced site.

Venator welcomed Glock10mm (who isn't me). I'm not sure I have any standing to welcome anyone, but here you go. Welcome Glock10mm.

Then anokea asked if my issue is with the term "post whoring." No, my issue is with who is using it.

youscareme mentioned brokenarrows. I'm aware of that situation and I see you are well aware of the site I referenced. I'm not going to comment.

thoughtpolice dropped off one of those clever pictures.

ProtectedBy9mm made some good points. Yes, it is WHO is using the term that causes me to take notice. Disingenuous is the word coming to mind.

I do have a few thoughts and insights and I hope to share them over time. I see this is a good group (and also feel the other group is good, just not very self-aware).

I'm not concerned with thoughtpolice attacking me for a couple of reasons. 1. I have my thick internet skin on (see above). 2. thoughtpolice realizes by now I'm a thinking being. 3. While I have disagreed with several of the posts thoughtpolice has made, I think he/she/it is just a big-hearted fuzzy bear.

The only words that will bother me are words intended to insult others and their beliefs. I'll try to be a contributing member of society and hopefully thoughts will keep coming to my head. :D

I typed out my first two posts one-handed on my phone. I see there are some minor issues in them but I'm not going to be a history revisionist unless I make an error more severe than grammar. :)

FogRider

imported post

I replied to your PM, but I'll respond here as well. I was mostly trying to figure out if it was the word you were taking issue with, and from your last post it sounds like it is. I can see your point, telling folks to talk nice and then using foul language is rather hypocritical. I just don't really see that it is happening. While whore is not the most savory of terms, it really isn't that bad, and post-prostitution is just going to get you funny looks ("Oh, you mean post-whoring. Why didn't you say so?").

scorpioajr

imported post

ml wrote:
....I'm not concerned with thoughtpolice attacking me for a couple of reasons. 1. I have my thick internet skin on (see above). 2. thoughtpolice realizes by now I'm a thinking being. 3. While I have disagreed with several of the posts thoughtpolice has made, I think he/she/it is just a big-hearted fuzzy bear.....
When you read ThoughtPolice's posts you got to be sure you crack open a beer before you respond. While this guy DOES have valid points and mainly backs up his purports with facts: sometimes he may come accross as a bit strong. He's harmless, no really...i don't think he could hit the broad end of a barn (baaah-rahh-hahaha!Burn!:lol:)

Seriously though, keep posting.

Edit: added visual concept.