• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Polite and non-vulgar

scorpioajr

imported post

She's a tough bird, i'll tell ya.
machine%20gun%20granny.jpg

Jeff Johnson

imported post

How curious, ml, that you've just barely joined OCDO and have spent all of your posts so far -- three -- in this thread to criticize UCC and me in particular, although you cleverly refrain from explicitly mentioning UCC or me by name.

If you have a problem with me, you're welcome to say so directly to me.

I will respond to this topic even though I doubt you expected me to see it.
I apologize for using a term which so deeply offended your sensibilities.

I will point out, however, that in the context of online forums, the well-known and accepted term to refer to the practice of excessively posting useless things just to raise one's post count is "post-whoring". It does not refer to the so-called 'world's oldest profession'. Yet it certainly is a term with negative connotations, as it refers to negative behavior.

Over on UCC, the moderators chatted about the fact that this issue was brought up here on OCDO. We decided that the thread to which you refer has accomplished its purpose, since the misbehavior of certain forum members has subsided. Therefore, and to hopefully not offend your sensibilities any further, that thread has been removed.

youscareme

Banned
imported post

thoughtpolice,

are you saying brokenarrows pooped on your yard so you killed him?

Brokenarrows was fast to point out issues and he would argue them with you but he really was a good guy. I went to dinner with him a few times. Brokenarrows would give you the shirt off his back. But he would also tell you that you were full of shit if he thought you needed know.

youscareme

Banned
imported post

maybe it is that you take it that way. I did say recently that Brokenarrows was a nice guy.

I chuckled to myself whenprotectedby9mm suggested that dinner with brokenarrows was more than friends. I dont know why you think what you think. It is you that can control that.

ml

imported post

I appreciate your reply, Jeff.

I fully expected you to see the thread here. I thought you would think about what I said and make a change. I didn't expect you to be upset with me for pointing out your post that violated your own rules. While I know that is a common phrase, I know of several other common phrases that are crude or crass.

If I had come into your front room and pointed this out, I fully expect I'd have been berated for being a poor guest. I can't think of a way to bring this up that wouldn't offend you. I expect a PM would have simply resulted in being told it is "common use" and I should grow up (similar to your response here, but less polite:)).

If you had read the thread, you would have seen a discussion of fallacies. This one falls under http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-common-practice.html

As stated earlier, I don't really care about the word. I do, however, hold people to the rules they apply to others. I appreciate the fact you had enough discussion with others to realize the error of your ways.

I especially liked how twice you appear to apologize and then http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-ridicule.html. I should also put a link to false apologies here but I guess I'm too lazy.

I also know you like links to be a little different, but I like people to see what is there without clicking- and many people don't know about mouseover:)

Like I said, we'd probably get along in real life. I appreciate the change to the site. And thanks for checking in here.

I'll also apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I've been sick in bed for a week. Some nasty stuff going around lately, eh?

Jeff Johnson

imported post

I guess I just have a problem with people who join forums, then without contributing to the purpose of the forum in any way whatsoever, proceed to denigrate others. That's what a couple of people did over at UCC, getting themselves banned in the process.

You've now got 4 total posts here on OCDO. All of them are in this thread tearing down UCC and me. No, I don't think that I care to know you in person after all.

Get well.

youscareme

Banned
imported post

Jeff Johnson wrote:
I guess I just have a problem with people who join forums, then without contributing to the purpose of the forum in any way whatsoever, proceed to denigrate others. That's what a couple of people did over at UCC, getting themselves banned in the process.

You've now got 4 total posts here on OCDO. All of them are in this thread tearing down UCC and me. No, I don't think that I care to know you in person after all.

Get well.

can i buy you a coke? give you a hug? anything to make it better?

Jeff Johnson

imported post

pitythefools wrote:
Jeff,

Dont you think that moderating utahconcealedcarry is done well enough from that site?

I dont think its right for you to attemptmoderate this site as well.
That's disingenuous. I am clearly not moderating here.

This thread was started specifically targeting me and so I am responding to set the record straight; a waste of time I think (I probably just got suckered in to feeding the trolls).

Before you tell me to stay over on UCC, I'll remind you that I am a member of OCDO and have been so, according to my "joined" date, since 20 May 2006 (actually longer than that, since in its first inception OCDO did not use the current format or software; when OCDO was revamped, it did not carry over the initial membership/posting history). How long have you and ml been here?

This is a waste of time. I'll take my own advice and quit feeding the trolls.

tarzan1888

imported post

There is beauty all around, when there's love at home..........

That is what I used to sing when my kids would start fighting.

I 'm the one that precipitatedthe whole "Post whoring" thing and its all right now.

I got over it..........why don't you do that too.

Tarzan