• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Russia to replace AKs

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Kalashnikovs given the bullet by Russian policeRussia’s Interior Ministry is set to wave goodbye to its famous Kalashnikovs as part of its modernisation. The iconic rifles will be replaced by two other weapons - SMGs PP-2000 and Vityaz - that are considered more suitable for urban warfare.[/i]
Makarov pistols will also become a thing of the past for Russian police officers. Replacing it is a Yarygin pistol nicknamed ‘Grach’.

First Deputy Interior Minister Mikhail Sukhodolsky said the new small arms are better suited for combat at close quarters. They use ammunition with enough stopping power but less chance of ricochet.

The rearmament will take several years to complete. Priority will be given to arsenals that the police use in everyday duty.

Spec data

The PP-2000 sub-machine gun was developed in Tver and first revealed to the public in 2004. Its light, compact and durable design makes it a perfect personal defence or close quarter weapon.

It can fire armour piercing rounds when engaging protected enemies or standard 9mm rounds. Its distinctive feature is a slot in its back that can be used to attach a fold stock or store a spare 44-round magazine that doubles as a stock.
Calibre: 9x19mm Luger/Para or 9х19 7N31 AP roundsWeight: approx. 1.4 kgLength: 340 mm / 582 mm (stock folded / extended)Rate of fire: 600-800 rpmRange: 200 mMagazine: 20 (44)

The PP-19-01 SMG is a modification of the PP-19 Byzon design that was developed for the Vityaz counter-terrorism unit, which gave its name to the weapon. It can fire a range of 9mm rounds including armour piercing ammo. It’s intended for use in operations that require a high rate of fire and supreme accuracy at short range.

Calibre: 9x19mmWeight: approx. 3 kg emptyLength: 460 mm / 698 mmRate of fire: 750 rpmRange: 200 mMagazine: 30

The Yarygin pistol (MR-443 Grach) is the designated replacement for the Makarov pistol as a sidearm for Russian military units. It is a semi-automatic weapon chambered for the 9mm 7N31 armour piercing rounds, but can also fire other 9х19mm rounds.

Calibre: 9x19mmWeight: 950 grams emptyLength: 198 mmBarrel length: 112 mmMagazine: 17

Carnivore

imported post

Get ready to see those make into our mainstream probably still full auto, Russia would love to send a little cancerthis direction to kill us from the inside out..Gangbangers get in line and pick a number..

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
  Get ready to see those make into our mainstream probably still full auto, Russia would love to send a little cancer this direction to kill us from the inside out.. Gangbangers get in line and pick a number..

What are you talking about?

Carnivore

imported post

Russia: Score: 0
The Russian Interior Ministry cracked down late last year on illegal weapons. A police operation yielded over 10,000 weapons as well as ammunition. Russia, however, has sought to re-start firearms exports to the US and this was an item on the agenda for Chernomyrdin during his discussions with US Vice President Al Gore. In light of recent legislation proposed by the Clinton administration to control firearms imports, success for Russian firearm sales seems highly doubtful. Russia made some effort toward meeting its communique commitment by agreeing to sign on to a United Nations resolution on firearms regulation. But because no concrete action has been taken regarding this initiative in the post- Denver period, the Russian Government is awarded a grade of 0.

http://www.g7.utoronto.ca/evaluations/1998birmingham/compliance/crime.htm

Although they pretend nice, I don't think they intend nice!! heck I can't even agree that they pretend nice. But thats just my opinion!

t3rmin

imported post

Am I reading that right? They're going to all 9mm? Interesting.

Makes me want one of those Kel-Tec carbines more...

Carnivore

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Firearms regulation accomplishes nothing. I fail to see how this will affect the weaponry of gangbangers one bit.
Your right, nothing states thet their going straight to the Mexican mafia, ..Guess we'll just have to hide and watch and see where they start landing..

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I've never liked the idea of sub-machineguns for infantry or other regular army units. Sure, for some missions they might be preferable to rifles, but I think they should keep some type of weapon that fires a genuine rifle round for missions were more firepower is needed, and smaller weapons are not as important. Plus, a sub-machinegun can never fill the role of a full sized belt-fed rifle-cartridge chambered machine gun.

Then again, it's the Russians, and if Putin keeps going the way he has been, we may yet end having to fight them, so I guess this is good news, after all!