• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie with ?

Shooter

imported post

Hello all. I have been lurking around since Louisiana Carry introduced himself to me at the range in late '07. He seems to be our local "Uncle Ted" on gun rights and I am happy to have someone with his knowledge so close to home.

I have finally decided to exercise my right and give OC a try. I still have one question, I'm sure it has been covered but I just seem to continually overlook it and I apologize for this in advance. My question is about the no firearms signs. Are there any guidelines private property owners must follow when posting these signs?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As near as I can tell from searching the Louisiana Legislative Website's Law database, there are no legal requirements for a "no firearms" sign. The closest is in RS 14:63.3, http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78590
[align=justify]§63.3. Entry on or remaining in places or on land after being forbidden [/align]

[align=justify]A. No person shall without authority go into or upon or remain in or upon or attempt to go into or upon or remain in or upon any structure, watercraft, or any other movable, or immovable property, which belongs to another, including public buildings and structures, ferries, and bridges, or any part, portion, or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, including by means of any sign hereinafter described, by any owner, lessee, or custodian of the property or by any other authorized person. For the purposes of this Section, the above mentioned sign means a sign or signs posted on or in the structure, watercraft, or any other movable, or immovable property, including public buildings and structures, ferries and bridges, or part, portion or area thereof, at a place or places where such sign or signs may be reasonably expected to be seen. [/align]

[align=justify]B. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned in the parish jail for not more than six months, or both. [/align]

[align=justify]Added by Acts 1960, No. 78, §1. Amended by Acts 1963, No. 91, §1; Acts 1968, No. 647, §1; Acts 1977, No. 445, §1; Acts 1978, No. 694, §1.[/align]
Bold and underline are mine.

This statute, however, refers to signs denying entry in general and not specifically to prohibiting firearms; so if an extrapolation could be argued, the property owner must place any such sign where it may be reasonably expected to be seen.

In my opinion, it would be best foran OCer, to simply obey such a sign and take your business elsewhere - and letting the business know why.

Shooter

imported post

Thanks XD-GEM.

I have looked over that a few times, but guess I was expecting it to be spelled out a little better than that.

I have no intention at all to disobey such signs. I am one that stays out of town as much as possible, and therefore do not consider myself familiar with many of the stores. This is one reason for my concern on this. I do not want to feel that I must examine the entire exterior of a building before entering.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

While false arrest is always a concern, I cannot imagine that you could be rightly prosecuted for trespass unless (and even then it is not a surety) you had to walk right by a sign and it was extremely visible.

In fact that is one thing I would like to see spelled out in LA law, just so there is less risk involved on our part. I like MN law very much in this regard- I'd like us to copy them.

I sure introduce myself and pass cards/fliers out about LAC to everyone I meet at the range. I wonder which one you are? :D

Hello and welcome, regardless!

Yrdawg

imported post

My rule of thumb on signs is if they are posted at a major public entrance I see them, if they are not I don't

In my area there used to be a few signs, on two or three hospitals also, I havn't seen one in some time. The hospital I was in a couple weeks ago was not posted.

Till there is a standard for signs I think obvious is the standard. If you want me to obey it ya gotta let me see it.

:lol:

Shooter

imported post

Thanks to all for the replies.

LC, sure I will see you again soon at LRA. I had only made trips w/ my brother as his visitor, but decided to join up the rest of 08&09.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Yrdawg wrote:
My rule of thumb on signs is if they are posted at a major public entrance I see them, if they are not I don't

My rule (if there is somewhere I have to be, like a mall where I have a work order) is that if there is a rat hole that I can sneak in whithout seeing a sign, that is "where I have always come in."

:lol: