• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something from the Norfolk City Council meeting that bothered me..

bayboy42

imported post

For those of you that were at the council meeting on Tuesday, how do you feel about the individual that told the council that "Sigmond Freud said that fear of weapons is a sign of sexual retardation" (or something to the like)?

Personally, it bothered me on many levels. Others?

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I thought it was retarded for him to say that.:banghead: When I saw it on the news clip, I cringed. He should have had someone proof read his "speech" prior to actually delivering it. IMHO.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had an opportunity to speak with the individual prior to the meeting. He stated that he was not "up to speed" with what was going on and what the history of NPD and City Council was. I introduced him to Philip and a few others who discussed specifics and isues with him for a few minutes. He and I spoke for another few seconds concerning the number of trips to City Council meetings to express concern/displeasure about the behavior of the NPD.

From my short conversation with him I got the impression that he was upset not only about how NPD had treated Dan Moore, but about something else to do with how the City Council was or was not doing what he saws the Council's "job" - a word he used several times.

My impression was that he was unacustomed to public speaking, was quite upset about a number of things that City Council had done or not done, and was in search of a quick way of telling City Council how he felt. My impression, again, was that he "grabbed" for and used the Freudian comment instead of using much more socially inappropriate words.

My never-humble opinion was that his statement hurt the "cause" much less than the ramblings of the gentleman who was desparately trying to see things from every possible side and not pick a side himself. This was the gentleman who, among other things, suggested that HRT bus drivers be issued CHPs and carry "because of the bad things that happen on buses."

stay safe.

skidmark

mpg9999

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
I thought it was retarded for him to say that.:banghead: When I saw it on the news clip, I cringed. He should have had someone proof read his "speech" prior to actually delivering it. IMHO.
I had the exact same reaction when I saw the video.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

It's true. Fear ofweapons is a sign of sexual immaturity'. This is the reason politicianswill screw you at every opportunity without your consent or knowledge. They get their jollies... and you get... nothing.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
For those of you that were at the council meeting on Tuesday, how do you feel about the individual that told the council that "Sigmond Freud said that fear of weapons is a sign of sexual retardation" (or something to the like)?

How did it bother you? You're not going anti on us are you?

And did Freud actually say that fear of weapons is a sign of sexual retardation? That kook!

Neplusultra

imported post

HankT wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:

How did it bother you? You're not going anti on us are you?

And did Freud actually say that fear of weapons is a sign of sexual retardation? That kook!
I believe what he said was "immature", although I have never verified the quote. But either way I agree that it is immaturity at least if not sexual, just plain immaturity. I remember the first time I picked up a gun that a friend had bought specifically for self protection, ie to shoot someone. I'd handled guns for years, and loved to shoot. But when I picked it up it was like an electric shock went through me and I had to set it back down again. It bothered me, the idea of killing someone with it, but I also recognized that this was immature, that in this world there really is evil and sometimes the only way to deal with it is to kill it. I now carry a deadly weapon everywhere.

Glock27Bill

imported post

• This is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner:

Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of — in any event, he does not cite — other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership.

Sheriff

imported post

HankT wrote:

Yes...........
Apparently he did in the 10th Lecture of " A General Introduction to
Psychoanalysis" (1916-17)

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.-- Sigmond Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Mr. Engineer

imported post

Whether or not Freud said that, the psychodynamic approach to psychology is retarded in and of itself.

I'm hoping the individual realized that didn't help.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
I thought it was retarded for him to say that. :banghead: When I saw it on the news clip, I cringed.   He should have had someone proof read his "speech" prior to actually delivering it.  IMHO.

Same reaction here, too.

Tomahawk

imported post

Well, funny thing about freedom: you can't control what comes out of other peoples' mouths. Any time you do something like this in public, you run the risk of a wild card speaker saying something you wish he wouldn't. About the only thing you can do is try to be careful of who you asociate with, and try to talk to people afterwards and persuade them to coordinate with friends in the future. But you can't force him.

When we showed up with ~400 people in Richmond on Lobby Day, I admit I had some apprehension about what would happen. Surely in that many people there must be a crackpot or two? Things worked out pretty well, though, only one guy started to say something dumb and the folks around him talked him out of it. But I don't think you can expect to get that lucky every time.

Just roll with it and do your best.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud#Misattributed
  • A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    • This is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner:
Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of — in any event, he does not cite — other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership. Due to misreading of this essay and its citations, this paraphrase of an opinion about Freud's ideas has been wrongly attributed to Freud himself, and specifically to his 10th Lecture "Symbolism in Dreams" in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis on some internet forum pages: alt.quotations, uk.politics.guns, talk.politics.guns, can.talk.guns , etc.

Neplusultra

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
When we showed up with ~400 people in Richmond on Lobby Day, I admit I had some apprehension about what would happen. Surely in that many people there must be a crackpot or two? Things worked out pretty well, though, only one guy started to say something dumb and the folks around him talked him out of it. But I don't think you can expect to get that lucky every time.

Just roll with it and do your best.
There was one guy mocking their singing, which I thought improper of good social discourse. Remember the really bad feedback they were having with their PA system? I tried to get them to move the speakers in "front" of their microphones, which should have solved the problem, but no one listened. Overcome evil with good is the old saying.

Flyer22

imported post

marshaul wrote:
mpg9999 wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:

Same reaction here, too.
I picked this post almost at random--there are several posts that would work. I fail to see how anybody could cringe at the statement on the video. (Which I watched, by the way.) While Freud didn't specifically say what the gentleman thought he did, who among us could possibly think that fear of weapons is NOT a sign of immaturity after reading a few of the hysterical anti-gun screeds that pop up from time to time?