Thread: Montana Conservationists Defend Obama on Hunting, Gun Issues

Post imported post

Post imported post

The 2A has nothing whatever to do with 'hunting' or 'sport'. The 2A is recognition of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, not something 'granted' by any government entity or commission.

Post imported post

The 2A does protect people's rights to bear arms to hunt;

Butthis interest is less significant than the 2A interests in individual self-defense and collective self-defense --including defenseagainst tyranny.

Post imported post

By protecting bearable arms, 2A may have the effect of protecting arms used for hunting, but the word hunting does not appear in the text of the amendment. Is hunting mentioned in the federalist papers or something? Why would anyone think there was any intention for 2A to protect hunting?

Did anyone but me notice that this article is 6 months old?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Naw, I noticed who posted it. So much to read, so little time.

Post imported post

Actually, this is something I've been thinking about. In U.S. v Miller, the government's argument was that the short barreled shotgun was not a military weapon and thus not a "militia" weapon protected by the Second Amendment. Is U.S v Miller saying that weapons used by the National Guard (a select militia) ARE protected by the second amendment? So, where's my M4?

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:

Butthis interest is less significant than the 2A interests in individual self-defense and collective self-defense --including defenseagainst tyranny.
    NONE of which Obama believes in.

I can't make you stop lying.

You can't make me believe you.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
    Actually, this is something I've been thinking about. In U.S. v Miller, the government's argument was that the short barreled shotgun was not a military weapon and thus not a "militia" weapon protected by the Second Amendment. Is U.S v Miller saying that weapons used by the National Guard (a select militia) ARE protected by the second amendment? So, where's my M4?

I'm glad someone else noticed this little non-sequeter. For the sake of argument, I'll limit my view of 'Miller' to small arms, not ordinance.

Since 'Miller' argued a weapon must have 'military applications' (my wording) to be covered under the 2A, it would seem that we should all have legal access to (at bare minimum) anything local police carry/use (AR-15's, high cap magazines, etc), and realistically, fully auto weapons as well (without needing a C3 license).

Personally, I'd like to see someone challenge the next AWB under the'Miller' ruling when (unfortunately) Obama getselected .

Centurion

Post imported post

AZkopper wrote:
    thorvaldr wrote:

I'm glad someone else noticed this little non-sequeter. For the sake of argument, I'll limit my view of 'Miller' to small arms, not ordinance.

Since 'Miller' argued a weapon must have 'military applications' (my wording) to be covered under the 2A, it would seem that we should all have legal access to (at bare minimum) anything local police carry/use (AR-15's, high cap magazines, etc), and realistically, fully auto weapons as well (without needing a C3 license).

Personally, I'd like to see someone challenge the next AWB under the'Miller' ruling when (unfortunately) Obama getselected .

"Since 'Miller' argued a weapon must have 'military applications' (my wording) to be covered under the 2A, it would seem that we should all have legal access to (at bare minimum) anything local police carry/use (AR-15's, high cap magazines, etc), and realistically, fully auto weapons as well (without needing a C3 license)."

A great big, giant, humongous, stupendous, and ultimately huge AMEN to that!

JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

thorvaldr wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, short barreled shotguns were used by the military during WWII. They were exellent trench cleaners. They may have been used in the Korean war, and I'm pertty sure they were used in Veitnam as well.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    thorvaldr wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, short barreled shotguns were used by the military during WWII. They were exellent trench cleaners. They may have been used in the Korean war, and I'm pertty sure they were used in Veitnam as well.
    They were used by the military BEFORE WWI!
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

The Donkey wrote:

Well said Donkey, maybe there is hope for you yet.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

"You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Huck wroteOk, we won't

Post imported post

Dukester wrote:
    Huck wroteOk, we won't
    Will SOMEBODY tell me why the Brady campaign supports the pro gun messiah?
    And "argh I'm a BANNED, anti gun, Obamazombie" doesn't count.