• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montana Conservationists Defend Obama on Hunting, Gun Issues

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The 2A has nothing whatever to do with 'hunting' or 'sport'. The 2A is recognition of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, not something 'granted' by any government entity or commission.

The Donkey

imported post

The 2A does protect people's rights to bear arms to hunt;

Butthis interest is less significant than the 2A interests in individual self-defense and collective self-defense --including defenseagainst tyranny.

thorvaldr

imported post

By protecting bearable arms, 2A may have the effect of protecting arms used for hunting, but the word hunting does not appear in the text of the amendment. Is hunting mentioned in the federalist papers or something? Why would anyone think there was any intention for 2A to protect hunting?

Did anyone but me notice that this article is 6 months old?

thorvaldr

imported post

Actually, this is something I've been thinking about. In U.S. v Miller, the government's argument was that the short barreled shotgun was not a military weapon and thus not a "militia" weapon protected by the Second Amendment. Is U.S v Miller saying that weapons used by the National Guard (a select militia) ARE protected by the second amendment? So, where's my M4?

Deanimator

imported post

The Donkey wrote:

Butthis interest is less significant than the 2A interests in individual self-defense and collective self-defense --including defenseagainst tyranny.
NONE of which Obama believes in.

I can't make you stop lying.

You can't make me believe you.

AZkopper

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Actually, this is something I've been thinking about. In U.S. v Miller, the government's argument was that the short barreled shotgun was not a military weapon and thus not a "militia" weapon protected by the Second Amendment. Is U.S v Miller saying that weapons used by the National Guard (a select militia) ARE protected by the second amendment? So, where's my M4?

I'm glad someone else noticed this little non-sequeter. For the sake of argument, I'll limit my view of 'Miller' to small arms, not ordinance.

Since 'Miller' argued a weapon must have 'military applications' (my wording) to be covered under the 2A, it would seem that we should all have legal access to (at bare minimum) anything local police carry/use (AR-15's, high cap magazines, etc), and realistically, fully auto weapons as well (without needing a C3 license).

Personally, I'd like to see someone challenge the next AWB under the'Miller' ruling when (unfortunately) Obama getselected .

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

AZkopper wrote:
thorvaldr wrote:

I'm glad someone else noticed this little non-sequeter. For the sake of argument, I'll limit my view of 'Miller' to small arms, not ordinance.

Since 'Miller' argued a weapon must have 'military applications' (my wording) to be covered under the 2A, it would seem that we should all have legal access to (at bare minimum) anything local police carry/use (AR-15's, high cap magazines, etc), and realistically, fully auto weapons as well (without needing a C3 license).

Personally, I'd like to see someone challenge the next AWB under the'Miller' ruling when (unfortunately) Obama getselected .

"Since 'Miller' argued a weapon must have 'military applications' (my wording) to be covered under the 2A, it would seem that we should all have legal access to (at bare minimum) anything local police carry/use (AR-15's, high cap magazines, etc), and realistically, fully auto weapons as well (without needing a C3 license)."

A great big, giant, humongous, stupendous, and ultimately huge AMEN to that!

JoeSparky

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, short barreled shotguns were used by the military during WWII. They were exellent trench cleaners. They may have been used in the Korean war, and I'm pertty sure they were used in Veitnam as well.

Deanimator

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
thorvaldr wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, short barreled shotguns were used by the military during WWII. They were exellent trench cleaners. They may have been used in the Korean war, and I'm pertty sure they were used in Veitnam as well.
They were used by the military BEFORE WWI!

Thundar

imported post

The Donkey wrote:

Well said Donkey, maybe there is hope for you yet.