• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Customer feels safer at Safeway

DEROS72

imported post

As I have mentioned I go to the Starbucks at the Safeway most mornings for coffee and also shop there.Always OC.(216th and International in Seatac).I had to go to the Us bank as well today.As I was walking away from the bank 2 women approached me,one had her kids with her,and asked if I was a cop.I said no of course and explained a little of the RCW's.They said they just wanted to let me know that seeing me there made them feel much safer.That they have noticed me before and try to do their shopping when they think I will be there.I was alittle taken a back,wasn,t what I was expecting but very nice of them to say that.Absolutley one store for DO patronize list as I have always been treated great there.Of cousre I spend a fortune in their pharmacy ,on groceries and bank there, that may also help.lol

DEROS72

imported post

Indeed,certainly didn,t see that one coming.In the last 2 weeks on my block someone held up the ice cream truck at gunpoint.Poor guy probably didn't have more than 50 or 60 bucks.A guy just trying to make a living.And it seems home invasions have come back in this neighborhood .Last week right down the street some poor girl living by herself had her door kicked in ,raped robbed and beaten.Some in this society think it is their right to take from those who work hard for what they have.There was a crack bust in the afore metioned Safeway parking lot one morning as I walked in for my coffee.So there are those in this area that perfectly understand why I carry.I actually had one guy tell me it was unfair that carry because he and others because of their felony record can't legally carry anymore and that gives people who can an unfair advantage.Can you believe that insane logic.???I mentioned once before the only ones that seem to have a problem with it are the gang bangers around here that can't.Bet you a months pention some are anyway.Young black guy that I know has a record no job but just bought a new escalade...HMMMMM! I wonder.

FE427TP

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
carry because he and others because of their felony record can't legally carry anymore and that gives people who can an unfair advantage.Can you believe that insane logic.???

Depending on the felony yes i absolutely can, there are people who as adults have found out that they lost their rights for drag racing as kids. No one got hurt, but they got caught and convicted. Non violent offenses should not be enough to revoke what the founding fathers called a right that existed before and outside of laws a right to self defense that should not be INFRINGED. Keep them in prison (not our present pleasant prison system either) until they don't want to break the law when they are released and restore all their rights if they will be productive members of society or don't release them.

sorry for the thread hijack, I just strongly disagree with the blanket all encompassing "it's ok to take someones rights because they..." ideology

Bear 45/70

imported post

FE427TP wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
carry because he and others because of their felony record can't legally carry anymore and that gives people who can an unfair advantage.Can you believe that insane logic.???

Depending on the felony yes i absolutely can, there are people who as adults have found out that they lost their rights for drag racing as kids. No one got hurt, but they got caught and convicted. Non violent offenses should not be enough to revoke what the founding fathers called a right that existed before and outside of laws a right to self defense that should not be INFRINGED. Keep them in prison (not our present pleasant prison system either) until they don't want to break the law when they are released and restore all their rights if they will be productive members of society or don't release them.

sorry for the thread hijack, I just strongly disagree with the blanket all encompassing "it's ok to take someones rights because they..." ideology
What kind of traffic infraction can they charge you with a felony for that would come from drag racing unless you killed someone?

FE427TP

imported post

It's been a long long time since I read about it but it was in California (yeah, problem number 1) and they made the crime something he could have been imprisoned for long enough that he no longer passed the background checks to get firearms, but I suppose your private party method only would work :D

Bear 45/70

imported post

FE427TP wrote:
It's been a long long time since I read about it but it was in California (yeah, problem number 1) and they made the crime something he could have been imprisoned for long enough that he no longer passed the background checks to get firearms, but I suppose your private party method only would work :D
It would have to be a felony as the only misdemeanor you can get felony status on is domestic violence, BTW a major violation of the Constitution. It takes a felony to loose your gun rights.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Awesome story. There are people out there that sees a MWAG in a better way than some people that do not understand thatguns are not bad, but it is the man behind the gun that is the problem in the guncrimes in this world.

Gene Beasley

imported post

Before I get on my soapbox, DEROS - way to go!

Bear 45/70 wrote:
It would have to be a felony as the only misdemeanor you can get felony status on is domestic violence, BTW a major violation of the Constitution. It takes a felony to loose your gun rights.
I don't think that is completely accurate. Unless I am reading what you wrote incorrectly, my understanding is that a federal disqualification for gun ownership is misdemeanor DV. This is commonly referred to as the Lautenberg Amendment. It doesn't take a felony to loose your gun rights.

The court shall in some circumstances and may in other circumstances temporarily or permanently end your firearm possession rights if you are the respondent to a civil protection order. See item 11. It appears that you either surrender any weapons you have to law enforcement, but may be able to surrender them to another party. This does not even require a conviction of any crime.

My thoughts on felons possessing firearms is that if they are convicted, incarcerated and/or supervised (on parole), their rights are suspended until the judgement is satisfied. When released without further DOC supervision, their rights should be restored; no need to petition the government to ask, pretty please can I have my rights back. The bill of rights applies to all citizens or it applies to no citizens. Does a felony conviction eliminate your freedom of religion, press, illegal search and seizure, etc.? Why on earth is the second amendment the only one that is dropped.

No, I do not have a felony conviction. Think about it for a minute. You and I are but an over-zealous prosecutor, cop and court away finding ourselves fighting a battle for the rest of our lives.Look at how many firearms laws are out there and how easy it would be to find ourselves in a bad spot. I'm not old, but I'm too old to spend the rest of my life trying torestore my rights, should that ever happen. I'm somewhat passionate about this, because I good friend of mine did find himself faced with a decision of chancing up to 30 years or taking a plea. Now he's out of jail, but has a felony record. Marriage break-ups are hazardous, if you suspect it's going south, GET OUT OF IT.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to find my way off this soapbox.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
Before I get on my soapbox, DEROS - way to go!

Bear 45/70 wrote:
I don't think that is completely accurate. Unless I am reading what you wrote incorrectly, my understanding is that a federal disqualification for gun ownership is misdemeanor DV. This is commonly referred to as the Lautenberg Amendment. It doesn't take a felony to loose your gun rights.

The court shall in some circumstances and may in other circumstances temporarily or permanently end your firearm possession rights if you are the respondent to a civil protection order. See item 11. It appears that you either surrender any weapons you have to law enforcement, but may be able to surrender them to another party. This does not even require a conviction of any crime.

My thoughts on felons possessing firearms is that if they are convicted, incarcerated and/or supervised (on parole), their rights are suspended until the judgement is satisfied. When released without further DOC supervision, their rights should be restored; no need to petition the government to ask, pretty please can I have my rights back. The bill of rights applies to all citizens or it applies to no citizens. Does a felony conviction eliminate your freedom of religion, press, illegal search and seizure, etc.? Why on earth is the second amendment the only one that is dropped.

No, I do not have a felony conviction. Think about it for a minute. You and I are but an over-zealous prosecutor, cop and court away finding ourselves fighting a battle for the rest of our lives.Look at how many firearms laws are out there and how easy it would be to find ourselves in a bad spot. I'm not old, but I'm too old to spend the rest of my life trying torestore my rights, should that ever happen. I'm somewhat passionate about this, because I good friend of mine did find himself faced with a decision of chancing up to 30 years or taking a plea. Now he's out of jail, but has a felony record. Marriage break-ups are hazardous, if you suspect it's going south, GET OUT OF IT.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to find my way off this soapbox.
Like I said, except for the Constitution violating Lautenberg Amendment, which it isn't BTW. It isa law and is not an amendment at all, it takes a felony to lose your gun rights. I don't see a traffic infraction going there unless some one dies from negligence.

DEROS72

imported post

I believe if you choose to commit a felony you absolutley should loose those rights.Most people get through life without commiting a felony and to me it is inaccusable.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Unfortunately, denying a convicted felon the right to own/carry a gun, does not prevent the person from doing so. Every gun control law ever enacted is dependent upon citizens obeying the law. Gun control does not work.

Do you think that a LEO assigned to arrest a convicted fellon thinks to himself, "Well at least I know this guy doesn't have a gun, because he has lost his gun rights. This assignment will be a piece-of-cake. No worries"?

John Hardin

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I believe if you choose to commit a felony you absolutley should loose those rights.Most people get through life without commiting a felony and to me it is inaccusable.
It is a felony to be in possession of an imported lobster that is less than a certain size. Do you really believe that is sufficient and just cause to lose your firearms rights for life?

violent felony, folks. violent felony.

IanB

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
That they have noticed me before and try to do their shopping when they think I will be there.I was alittle taken a back,wasn,t what I was expecting but very nice of them to say that.
This sounds like a classic case of attraction at first sight. One or both of these ladies would probably love you to pass your telephone number to them and ask them out.

NSL :lol:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

If a person has done the time, they have been punished. They should no longer have a legal status that makes it hard for them to get a job, get housing, vote, protect themselves or otherwise partcipate in the community. Probably one reason why felons keep reoffending, they are locked out of most of society. I say restore their rights upon release.

jbone

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
As I have mentioned I go to the Starbucks at the Safeway most mornings for coffee and also shop there.Always OC.(216th and International in Seatac).I had to go to the Us bank as well today.As I was walking away from the bank 2 women approached me,one had her kids with her,and asked if I was a cop.I said no of course and explained a little of the RCW's.They said they just wanted to let me know that seeing me there made them feel much safer.That they have noticed me before and try to do their shopping when they think I will be there.I was alittle taken a back,wasn,t what I was expecting but very nice of them to say that.Absolutley one store for DO patronize list as I have always been treated great there.Of cousre I spend a fortune in their pharmacy ,on groceries and bank there, that may also help.lol
OC often in the Smokey Point Safeway, many employees and patrons see me and nothing said, not even dirty looks. Love going there!

DEROS72

imported post

All in all I have noticed Safeways in general that I have gone into pretty OC friendly.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
If a person has done the time, they have been punished. They should no longer have a legal status that makes it hard for them to get a job, get housing, vote, protect themselves or otherwise partcipate in the community. Probably one reason why felons keep reoffending, they are locked out of most of society. I say restore their rights upon release.

I would disagree. A felony isn't some little error in judgment. It is a major NO NO and it has extra punishment attached to it. It's like in the Military, when they give you extra duty for doing something wrong, it is just an error. But when they restrict you to quarters along with the extra duty you know you've been a very bad boy because with the extra duty you have no extra time in your day but to sleep anyway.

Besides that, most felony's continue to re-offend.

DEROS72

imported post

Agreed Bear.I used to work at a company as a trainer in aerospace for ex felons.Most and I mean most did not complete training.They have this attitude that they should be making the big bucks right now without earning it and the years required to get there.It is this entitlement attitude in this country that has created this.Most would re-offend before getting half way through the training.and end up back in prison.There is this wacked attitude in this country now, that America owes you.Free health care housing food etc.What have they done to earn it.???If you don,t work you don't eat.The last company I managed, I put everyone on commision no free paychecks.You had to perform to certain standards or you didn't get paid.After working at the afforementioned company for four years I never in my later life in management hired ex felons because of the attitudes and what I saw.So they just keep going out and reoffending and can,t get work ,well they should never have commited a felony in the first place.I don,t see the rest of us having to be responsible for their bad decisions and I don,t see restoring certain rights they chose to give up by commiting a crime against decent people in most cases.