Thread: Visiting Harrisonburg - anything I need to know?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

First off, I hold both PA LTCF and UT CCW.

I believe I'm pretty well versed in the basics - full state preemption, must OC in establishments licensed to serve alcohol, etc. Is there anything specific about Harrisonburg that I should know (local requirement to identify if requested by LEO, etc)? A search of this forum didn't turn up much specifically about Harrisonburg. I'm planning on a mix of CC and OC, mostly depending on the weather and my wife's general mood - she's hoping the 'activist' half of me stays at home!

Also, is there a 'Va. Patriot' on call if I get jammed up?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

digital audio recorder?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I don't leave home without it!

Post imported post

I lived in Harrisonburg between 1993 and 2000, while at JMU both undergrad and graduate school.

1. Bring an audio recorder, and have it on you at all times

2. Harrisonburg police have a "less than average" reputation among gun owners in regards to open carry (the area itself is very pro-gun). You certainly could do worse (Norfolk). But LEO's in most of the state - including the more heavily populated and even urban areas - are more accepting and used to open carry.

3. I have open carried in Harrisonburg and on the JMU campus several times over the past 3 years - but I have never personally ran into an LEO while doing so.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Exactly the type of info I was looking for. It seems that overall VA is pretty good (here in PA, you guys are our idols ), but some pockets exist where a greater chance of confrontation may be likely - forewarned is forearmed!

Post imported post

Welcome to the state!

Post imported post

If you take the scenic route, Skyline Drive, know that youwill be in a National Park.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Most places in the burg you shouldn't have a problem. Some of the downtown eating establishments could possibly give you a hard time, but as I have never OCed there, i have no firsthand experience. The Artful Dodger, a small coffee house comes to mind, seeing as much of their clientele is of the college-activist persuasion. The coffee is pretty good though. BTW the restaurant right next to them on the corner has great food and homebrews... totally forget the name of it though... its been a few years since ive been in the burg. Everywhere else should be smooth sailing. Have fun.