• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Harrisonburg - anything I need to know?

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

First off, I hold both PA LTCF and UT CCW.

I believe I'm pretty well versed in the basics - full state preemption, must OC in establishments licensed to serve alcohol, etc. Is there anything specific about Harrisonburg that I should know (local requirement to identify if requested by LEO, etc)? A search of this forum didn't turn up much specifically about Harrisonburg. I'm planning on a mix of CC and OC, mostly depending on the weather and my wife's general mood - she's hoping the 'activist' half of me stays at home!

Also, is there a 'Va. Patriot' on call if I get jammed up?;)

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I lived in Harrisonburg between 1993 and 2000, while at JMU both undergrad and graduate school.

1. Bring an audio recorder, and have it on you at all times

2. Harrisonburg police have a "less than average" reputation among gun owners in regards to open carry (the area itself is very pro-gun). You certainly could do worse (Norfolk). But LEO's in most of the state - including the more heavily populated and even urban areas - are more accepting and used to open carry.

3. I have open carried in Harrisonburg and on the JMU campus several times over the past 3 years - but I have never personally ran into an LEO while doing so.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Exactly the type of info I was looking for. It seems that overall VA is pretty good (here in PA, you guys are our idols ;)), but some pockets exist where a greater chance of confrontation may be likely - forewarned is forearmed!

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Most places in the burg you shouldn't have a problem. Some of the downtown eating establishments could possibly give you a hard time, but as I have never OCed there, i have no firsthand experience. The Artful Dodger, a small coffee house comes to mind, seeing as much of their clientele is of the college-activist persuasion. The coffee is pretty good though. BTW the restaurant right next to them on the corner has great food and homebrews... totally forget the name of it though... its been a few years since ive been in the burg. Everywhere else should be smooth sailing. Have fun.