Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing the Suppressor law

Post imported post

I present to this board a petition which I have signed (Not authored). It is concerning the sound suppression devices for firearms laws in WA state. It's my opinion that this would be a good thing, for our ears if nothing else. In Europe, suppressors or "silencers" are considered as "Good range etiquette". If you agree with me, or just simply want some of your rights restored in this state just like other states, please sign this. And tell your friends! Pass it along! Save my ears! I'm only 26 and going deaf!

http://www.petitiononline.com/suppress/petition.html

Post imported post

322 signatures after I just signed.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

328 signatures now.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

State Researcher

Post imported post

I signed it too.

Post imported post

Signed.

I was floored to learn today that even in france you can get a suppressor with less effort than an AR15.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=297651

Post imported post

I am number 334.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

i am number 336

Post imported post

I am number 337

Post imported post

I am number 341

Post imported post

I'm back in the first 50

Post imported post

Post imported post

That's awesome guys! Keep it going! Remember to post elsewhere and tell all your friends!

Post imported post

:celebrateMr. 350 :celebrate

Post imported post

Three fity seven, yeah!

Post imported post

Have you considered taking the approach that RCW 9.41.010 defines a firearms as a mechanical device and by use of the verbiage "from which" separates it from the actual gunshot:

"(1) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder."

and RCW 9.41.250 says that:

"c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor"

So shouldn't this as written mean anything that reduces the mechanical noise of a weapon and not the sound of the actual gunshot? Those of us who own suppressors realize how much more we hear the mechanical noise of the weapon while shooting one. Also there is a distinction between a device used to suppress the sound of a firearm and a gunshot. The example I'd present is the DeLisle Carbine, it had a bakelite pad fitted to reduce the sound of the bolt closing. (reference Silencer History and Performance Volume 2 page 223 paragraph 1) Hopefully this week I'll be able to talk to someone to write the states A.G. and get a official opinion on this, but it'd be great if it went to our favor. Anyone who knows anything about law please tear this apart so that I can refine it before I try to use it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

My number is bigger thanall ofyours. 360!!!:celebrate

I win

Post imported post

FE427TP wrote:
    Have you considered taking the approach that RCW 9.41.010 defines a firearms as a mechanical device and by use of the verbiage "from which" separates it from the actual gunshot:

"(1) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder."

and RCW 9.41.250 says that:

"c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor"

So shouldn't this as written mean anything that reduces the mechanical noise of a weapon and not the sound of the actual gunshot? Those of us who own suppressors realize how much more we hear the mechanical noise of the weapon while shooting one. Also there is a distinction between a device used to suppress the sound of a firearm and a gunshot. The example I'd present is the DeLisle Carbine, it had a bakelite pad fitted to reduce the sound of the bolt closing. (reference Silencer History and Performance Volume 2 page 223 paragraph 1) Hopefully this week I'll be able to talk to someone to write the states A.G. and get a official opinion on this, but it'd be great if it went to our favor. Anyone who knows anything about law please tear this apart so that I can refine it before I try to use it.
    There has been a previous AG opinion on this. He interpreted the RCW to mean exactly what it says. You are legal to own one but it is illegal to utilize it.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

yeah, but what I'm trying for would bypass that and make the noise of a firearm defined as the mechanical noise of a firearm vs. the noise of a gunshot since the states definition of firearm doesn't include the gunshot just that a firearm is a device capable of making a gunshot

Post imported post

You can try if you want but I think you are way over analyzing it. Wording isn't always literal in law, it is the intent of the lawmakers that courts look at also. The intent iof this law, regardless how stupid it really is, is that they do not want people having "silencers" because apparently the lawmakers only know about them what they see in the movies.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

AlwaysPacking, being #360 does not entitle you to a free xbox unfortunately. But it should!

Post imported post

378 now.

Slugger

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

Keep it up! We're slowly getting there.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

Post imported post

Getting where, exactly? I don't want to rain on this parade because I like the idea, but what, exactly, do we expect to accomplish with an online petition? Does someone have a plan and the time to present these signatures to state and/or federal lawmakers, engage in lobbying efforts and do all the work required to get something like this put into law?

Again, I'm not trying to sound like a party pooper, I just don't want people thinking signing this petition is going to amount to anything. Millions of Americans want immigration reform and our lawmakers know it but won't do jack about that, either. So, you know, unless someone can afford to raise millions of dollars and hire lobbyists, etc, I fail to see the point...

Post imported post

tricityguy wrote:
    Getting where, exactly?
    Whether it passes or not this session (and the likely answer is not considering that the Dem majority refuses to bring any gun bills to committee as they don't want to get burned like in 1994) what we have accomplished is to bring the issue up as a point of discussion. Next year we will have more people involved as word gets around that we are trying to do something but you have to start somewhere.

Presumably when the legislature goes back into session this is a bill that WAC, CCRKBA, opencarry, etc will publicize and push for. In the meantime here are some supporters.

(Edit: cause I just saw something I missed the first read through) PS regarding to whom the signatures are presented, we certainly wouldn't be presenting them to federal lawmakers. Suppressors are already legal under federal law (albeit expensive). It is Washington state that is the problem.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast