• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL/CCW classes

malignity

imported post

I've been contemplating getting my CPL/CCW for the last few months, and I've been wanting to price shop if possible. The only two places I'm aware of in the metro Detroit area that offer classes are Target Sports on Woodward in Royal Oak, and Peter's Indoor Gun Range on Gratiot in Roseville. Both charge $150 for the class. I'm aware of classes cheaper than that, but unfortunately, the only one I know of is over 200 miles from home.

Does anyone by chance know of any other places in the general area where I could take the necessary course to obtain my permit and the approximate cost? Thanks a ton. :D

cmdio

imported post

I'm in the same boat as you, looking to get my CPL/CCW. I found that the Gander Mountain in Utica by Lakeside Mall on Hall road also has classed, they do the range portion at Hunts with Double, which looks like it is a really nice range, and IIRC the cost was only 90 bucks. In addition Target Sports in Royal Oak has classes too, and I'd imagine Double Action runs some as well. 150 seems to be the going rate from what I've seen except for the Gander Mountain classes. In regards to trapper gun, I drove by there recently and it looked to be out of business, but I'm not sure.

cmdio

imported post

I just cleaned out my pants pockets and I found a brochure that I grabbed at Gibraltar taylor gun show on friday. It's a CCW class offered down in Monroe for 75 bucks, there's no website but if you want their phone numbers I'll PM them too you. Let me know, this might be the one I take if I can find a free saturday.

malignity

imported post

cmdio wrote:
I just cleaned out my pants pockets and I found a brochure that I grabbed at Gibraltar taylor gun show on friday. It's a CCW class offered down in Monroe for 75 bucks, there's no website but if you want their phone numbers I'll PM them too you. Let me know, this might be the one I take if I can find a free saturday.
I'm in the same boat! I work every other weekend. It's a pain trying to figure out if I can make it to classes or not. :banghead:

warlockmatized

imported post

malignity wrote:
cmdio wrote:
I'm in the same boat! I work every other weekend. It's a pain trying to figure out if I can make it to classes or not. :banghead:
My instructor is working so much just to stay on top of bills we had to split the class into 2 diff nights.....4 hours each. Then had to wait 4 days til he was free to go to the range.

glock36

imported post

warlockmatized wrote:
malignity wrote:
cmdio wrote:
My instructor is working so much just to stay on top of bills we had to split the class into 2 diff nights.....4 hours each. Then had to wait 4 days til he was free to go to the range.
Alot of the instructors up here laugh at us doing one day classes. At best they might do the class in one day and the range another. One instructor does them 2 hours for 4 weeks!!

In my experience people dont want to take multiple days off and spend the gas money to drive multiple days.

taxwhat

imported post

glock36 wrote:
warlockmatized wrote:
malignity wrote:
cmdio wrote:
Alot of the instructors up here laugh at us doing one day classes. At best they might do the class in one day and the range another. One instructor does them 2 hours for 4 weeks!!

In my experience people dont want to take multiple days off and spend the gas money to drive multiple days.
People learn at different speeds instructor job to educate not make money ! Many do a disservice by @#$%ting class !