• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Made a complaint, but during the contact from the CPRB of pittsburgh... *sigh*

david.ross

imported post

This post is in regards to http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/16992.html

I filed my complaint, number 238-08, received by CPRB on Sep 22, 2008.

A person called me back because she was reading the complaint I wrote out and thought OC meant, "Oleoresin Capsicum"(OC Spray).

I informed her I was open carrying my firearm, and she questioned the legality. So she handed me to another person. Anyway, they contacted the firearm division at the Sheriff's department and the person said open carrying is illegal. The person told them there are laws in alleghany regarding open carrying firearms. I told her to contact another person, and she said it was regulation to contact the person she did. She will NOT contact anyone else to verify the laws regarding firearms.

This will probably throw off my complaint completely because someone is ignorant of the law. I'm trying to contact the person they contacted, and will contact CPRB on Tuesday since Monday is a federal holiday.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

With a reasonably facile wordprocessor, I suggest, rather, never using an acronym/abbreviation in other than 'chat' correspondence. Abbreviations stem from the days when the marginal effort to write one was significant and positive. Now-a-days it may even be negative, with three keys causing many more characters.

Jared

imported post

Pennsylvania has gotten WAY out of hand regarding open carrying. It will not stop until someone loses their job and or enough localities start paying $$$$ to victims here.

$$$ talks and BS walks.

So what if some town or county has to raise taxes to pay someone off, those residents can vote those in charge of that locality out of office.

As I've said before, ignorance of gun laws is no excuse. It's not like a moving violation. In most cases, a violation of a gun law is a serious felony and it can ruin your life. They are obligated to know the gun laws and follow them.

Prophet

imported post

Technically, in the city of Pittsburgh it is against city ordinance to openly carry a firearm. That being said, that ordinance is pre-empted by state statute. Of course, if some BS beauracrat is just doin a half ass job they will just read the ordinance and not care whether its legally enforceable or not.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I don't know how long PA has been an OC state... but I've been aware of it for at least 5 years anyway... and I don't even live there. It seems to me that LE SHOULD be cognizant of that fact... along with the rest of the apparartchiks and the 'public' at large. The media should address this recognition of a RIGHT (but they won't). What's up with these local LEO's? Are they stupid... or disinterested in what they're s'posed to know? Don't they carry PA annotated code refereces in their briefcases anymore? Hell... they've even got computers for that in the cars now... So you can be sure you're charging the perp with the correct thing. They can't seem to even manage that? I know PA state law preempted all the local ordinances on firearms... 'n I'm in ARIZONA! This is sheer incompetence!'Same in VA, LA, KY, AL, GAand OH where this kinda stuff keeps happening.

Sue their ass! :cuss:It's the only thing they understand and will get their attention.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps you just need to cite and quote the exact statutes at issue.

Follow up with an addendum to your complaint. Give them the exact statute number and quote the text of the pre-emption statute.

Also, you could try demanding they citethe statute the makes open carry illegal,if they think it is illegal.

david.ross

imported post

Personally I think they're not going to listen, and mark the officer's unlawful behavior as "proper action". I'm trying to figure who can step in for a situation like this where CPRB believes the word of a officer in the sheriff's who is rather falsifying a statement or incompetant.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Jared wrote:
You won't have any problems OC'ing in VA, issues are very rare....unless your black.
That is not the case. A majority of the recent problems have been white males being detained, harrassed and/or charged. You want cites - do the work yourself!

Please do not over-play the race card. It is not our style not does it benefit us. It is just bad form. When it is perhaps warranted, rest assured it will be well explored.

Yata hey

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Personally I think they're not going to listen, and mark the officer's unlawful behavior as "proper action". I'm trying to figure who can step in for a situation like this where CPRB believes the word of a officer in the sheriff's who is rather falsifying a statement or incompetant.

Just follow up with a copy of the pre-emption statute that nullified any local ordinance. Once you've done that, your complaint is complete.

You see, what matters most is the fact that you complained. Now they know you know. "Dammit,there is another citizen who knows his rights and knows the law. Now we can't go around pretending our opinions are the law."

They know there are consequences to them for repeated violations of your rights.

Push, nag,keep the pressure on.But realize the most importantpoint was that you complained in the first place. The rest is just to let them know you're serious and you're not going to take a whitewash laying down.

david.ross

imported post

What I'm afraid of is CPRB will say "there is nothing unlawful being done here since open carry is illegal". Then all LEO in Pittsburgh thinking it is perfectly legal to break our 4th amendment, 2nd amendment, create instances of official oppression, and perhaps other ordinances/laws.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Just follow up with a copy of the pre-emption statute that nullified any local ordinance. Once you've done that, your complaint is complete.

You see, what matters most is the fact that you complained. Now they know you know. "Dammit,there is another citizen who knows his rights and knows the law. Now we can't go around pretending our opinions are the law."

They know there are consequences to them for repeated violations of your rights.

Push, nag,keep the pressure on.But realize the most importantpoint was that you complained in the first place. The rest is just to let them know you're serious and you're not going to take a whitewash laying down.
+1
Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
What I'm afraid of is CPRB will say "there is nothing unlawful being done here since open carry is illegal". Then all LEO in Pittsburgh thinking it is perfectly legal to break our 4th amendment, 2nd amendment, create instances of official oppression, and perhaps other ordinances/laws.
So what have you got to lose?

Somebody is going to win big and it won't be Pittsburg if they persist.

Yata hey

david.ross

imported post

I don't want unlawful behavior to go unrecognized. I will solve this. I'm a furry, I know drama. They want drama, I'm going to cause so much drama they won't every question the legality of open carry ever again!

I've left a message to the solicitor for the sheriff's dept who will call me back.
I've left a message with CPRB regarding the incorrect statement the person at the sheriff's department made and will create a report against the individual. I'll have them investigate whether or not the person falsified a statement during an official matter or is truly incompetant of state law.