• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Georgia

Macboo

imported post

I am confused. Open carry is legal in Georgia with a license, but does it have to be a Georgia license or can it be a state license that has reciprosity? I am licensed in Texas and Alabama. I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere in this forum, but I couldn't find it.

Hef

imported post

Check handgunlaw.us to see if GA honors your permits, if it does not have reciprocity with your state. Your state police or attorney general's website should also tell you.

MSgt G

imported post

Yes, you may open carry since I know we honor Alabama's licenses. :celebrate

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Yes, as long as you are not a resident of Georgia. O.C.G.A. §§ 16-11-126(f) and 128(c) provide:
On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

officerjdc

imported post

MSgt G wrote:
Yes, you may open carry since I know we honor Alabama's licenses. :celebrate
We have a reciprocity agreement with Texas too. He's good with either license since he lives in Alabama.

It's true that a Georgia resident must have a GFL.