• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Conversation...

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

I was on my way back from Asheville to Raleigh today. I was bored on the ride back so I pulled out my phone and searched for Gun Shops in Greensboro. I found one, and stopped to shoot a few rounds. BTW, I just bought my first Springfield XD9 sub-compact this week. Anyway, after having some fun shooting with my wife and 10 year old son, I decided to buy a Fobus holster. While paying for the holster, I asked the guy behind the counter (who, by the way came cycling in with an open piece on his side) "do you guys open carry here in Greensboro much?" To my surprise he said "no way, are you kidding? That's not a good idea around here. If someone sees you doing that they're going to freak and call the police, and then next thing you know you have the police pulling you over, and drawing their guns, and possibly going to jail."

Is Greensboro/Burlington a bad place to open carry, or was this guy uninformed?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:
I was on my way back from Asheville to Raleigh today. I was bored on the ride back so I pulled out my phone and searched for Gun Shops in Greensboro. I found one, and stopped to shoot a few rounds. BTW, I just bought my first Springfield XD9 sub-compact this week. Anyway, after having some fun shooting with my wife and 10 year old son, I decided to buy a Fobus holster. While paying for the holster, I asked the guy behind the counter (who, by the way came cycling in with an open piece on his side) "do you guys open carry here in Greensboro much?" To my surprise he said "no way, are you kidding? That's not a good idea around here. If someone sees you doing that they're going to freak and call the police, and then next thing you know you have the police pulling you over, and drawing their guns, and possibly going to jail."

As far as I'm concerned, there's not a single place in NC where OC is a "bad idea". If there were such a place, I'd be on my way right now so I could start my law suit and get my settlement as soon as possible. I commend you for being so nice to the guy and simply calling him "uninformed", lol.

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

Yeah, I was a little shocked at his response especially since he works in a gun shop. I just sort of laughed, and walked out. When we got outside I said to my wife "that's a little odd that he would say that. It sounds to me like the Greensboro PD is setting themselves up for a big lawsuit if they do that to the wrong person."

Kivuli

imported post

I've never had an issue open carrying in Greensboro in the time I've lived here. What gun shop/range did you go to?

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

Calibers...The staff was very nice, and the range is top notch, in my opinion. No problems with the business itself, as a matter of fact, I would recommend shooting there. I just found it odd that the employee said that.

RayBurton72

imported post

Don't know who it was at Calibers (I shoot there a lot), but I might be willing to bet the comment was more a commentary on local LEO... But I frequently OC in Greensboro and have not (touch wood) had any problems

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, there's not a single place in NC where OC is a "bad idea". If there were such a place, I'd be on my way right now so I could start my law suit and get my settlement as soon as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, there's not a single place in NC where OC is a "bad idea". If there were such a place, I'd be on my way right now so I could start my law suit and get my settlement as soon as possible.
Seems like your priorities are kind of out of whack on this one.

The object isn't to get into situations where you can be awarded some moolah $$$.

The object is to protect and enjoy our gun rights under the 2nd Amendment. For ourselves and for all other law abiding Americans.

This emphasis lately on the part of gun owners/rights advocates lately on lawsuit settlements seems to be coming from some easy settlements such as the Danbus/Norfolk PD incident where he got $10,000.

Some people seem to think there is some easy money to be made or star status to be gained by carrying a gun in certain situations and getting jammed up.

This Danbus Effect could get some people in trouble, I think. Certainly, if a city or police agency violates someone's rights, they must be held accountable and damages should be awarded by a court.

At the very least, saying publicly that you're interested in something akin to "lawsuit shopping" lacks discretion and could be pulled up by some shark city attorney if you ever do get into a jam with the NC po-po.

wolf_walker

imported post

I think it's more a matter of depriving an organization or group of people of money is the only way often times to make them change or learn something.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Hank, you know damn well that my comment was meant to express the fact that if there were an area in NC where open carriers were harassed, it would be much more of a legal problem for the City and the LEO's than it would be for the carriers.

Kivuli

imported post

I go to Calibers too. Nice folks and a good range. I'm kinda surprised they said that though, as I OC to and from them every time I go.

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

You would think that with all of the firearm regulations a gun shop and range is subject to, they would have a better understanding of the law, or at least be a little more pro-active towards the open-carry stance.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Just because a person is on the opposite side of the display case doesn't mean they are more informed the the avg OCDO member. It just means they have a job ina gun shop. I had one try to physically remove my friearm from it's holster because it was in condition 1, and therefore dangerous to the rest of the patrons. He almost got a boot in his ass! Never ask for permission or advice on OC. Know the law and know your rights. Let the rest fend for themselves, or at least point them in this direction.

PS: Nice to see you posting in our forum Hank. Hadn't seen any of your prose in a while.

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

Yeah, I would've been pissed too, had he tried to unholster my weapon.

BTW, I wasn't asking for permission or advice when I asked him the question. I was just asking if they (the gun shop guys) OC'd much in Greensboro, just striking up conversation to see what his response was. I OC everywhere I go, proudly ;)