Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Family Man Makes BIG Mistake In One Second

Post imported post

"Good family" man.....and... a goof with a gun.

Trying to solve a temporary problem with a permanent solution...

10/10/2008

Man who shot constable pleads guilty to attempted murder

By: Marlene DiGiacomo

MEDIA COURTHOUSE - Pennsylvania Constable Carmen "Skip" Damiani, who still has a bullet lodged in his body, sat somberly Friday as 21-year-old Tamarr Minor entered pleas to two counts of attempted murder for opening fire last April, when authorities tried to evict him from his Yeadon apartment.

Damiani was accompanied in court by a half dozen constables, who were wearing their gray work uniforms, as was the victim.

Damiani, of Upper Darby, who has served more than four decades in his post, declined comment, except to state he will have more to say at the time of Minor's sentencing, which was set for Dec. 23.

During the June preliminary hearing, Damiani testified he believed "I was gonna die," when he was shot on the left side of his head by Minor. "I saw a flash. I went numb," he said during that earlier hearing.

Deputy District Attorney Daniel McDevitt told Judge Ann Osborne, who accepted the pleas, that because of the fragile nature of Damiani's injury, surgeons elected not to try to remove the bullet.

The shootings occurred last April 23 as Damiani was serving a forcible eviction notice on Minor at his unit at the Parkview Court Apartments. Damiani was accompanied that day by Ted Hicks, the apartment manager, who also was wounded in the attack.
    McDevitt said he will seek 20 years incarceration at the time of sentencing for Minor, who remained handcuffed while in court. The prosecutor told Osborne that Minor had tried to "pay up" what he owed in back rent just a week before, but didn't have enough money.

Following the hearing, McDevitt said Minor "knew the eviction was coming." He said the defendant sat on the couch to change his shoes and then grabbed the gun from under the couch cushions and began shooting.

"This was a totally unprovoked attack to kill two people," said McDevitt.
    McDevitt said that Hicks was shot in the stomach and has undergone several surgeries, including the removal of his gall bladder this summer, when surgeons finally extracted the bullet.

Hicks was not in court. "He called me this morning and felt it wasn't necessary to be here today," said Damiani. "He will be here at the time of sentencing."

During Friday's hearing, Minor remained seated and replied with firm "yes" answers to a series of routine questions posed by Osborne as to whether his pleas were knowing and voluntary.

Friends and relatives of the defendant were clustered together in court as the pleas were entered.

Defense Attorney Lonny Fish told Osborne that he will challenge the legality of the eviction during the upcoming sentencing hearing. He will be attempting to show the shooting was not planned in an effort to have Minor receive a more lenient sentence.
    The defendant faces at least five years in jail - the mandatory minimum for crimes committed with a firearm.

Fish said he will also present testimony during that hearing from a mental health expert regarding his client.

Minor, who lived alone in the third floor unit in the 2200 block of Alfred Drive, reportedly owed about $2,000 in back rent, according to authorities.
    Outside the courtroom, Fish denied that Minor intended to shot anybody that day.

"It looks like he (Minor) was lying in wait, but that's not the case," said Fish. "He (Minor) didn't know they were coming to evict him. In his (Minor's) mind it could have been self-defense. But under the law he was wrong. He has taken responsibility for his actions."

Fish said that at the time Minor was "an out-of-work professional."
    He said that Minor has held jobs as a financial advisor and an insurance consultant for several firms, and has had no prior brush with the law.

"He has a good family and he's accomplished a lot of things without a college degree," said Fish. "This is a case of somebody who made a really bad decision really quickly."

http://www.delcotimes.com/site/news....8171&rfi=6

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Does not seem OC related at all.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Not OC, but it is firearms related. And a good example of how a rash action can seriously screw your life over in a matter of seconds.

Banned

Post imported post

I hope they give him his gun back when he gets out of jail. How else will he defend himself against the rent payment again?

Post imported post

Yep, in my case I've never been late on my mortgage, and being gainfully employed up to this point, I've never had to consider other alternatives to paying what I owe.. My bills come in the mailbox instead of hand delivered, So I guess the MAILMAN is the bad guy, he's the one that keeps hounding me to pay out more money.

This guy sounds like a loose cannon to me, one time offense or not, this action was very very very irrational..

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

I'm guessing that Constable Damiani was in uniform when this happened. If that's true Minor knowingly shot a LEO. No mercy for Minor. Most LEOs are good people who are doing their best beat back the madness as it strikes out at society. They deserve our support and respect.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

This isn't a gun story although the drive-bys would love to present it so. This is an "If you're a cop you never know when you are dealing with a dangerous nut" story.

That could have been a butcher knife under the cushions and the results could have been worse in that case. A cop I was aquainted with down in the Canal Zone told me he'd tather be shot than have a blade stuck in him.

In any case who keeps a firearm under a sofa cushion?? Seem to me he had planned this, the charge should be attempted premeditated murder of an LEO and were I on the jury I would recommend a life sentence with no parole, if in fact he is guilty.

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    This isn't a gun story ...
    Is that so?

What'd he shoot those two guys with, a banana?

LOL.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    This isn't a gun story although the drive-bys would love to present it so. This is an "If you're a cop you never know when you are dealing with a dangerous nut" story.
    Have to agree with Alexcabbie on this one.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

*** ** ** ** Yata hey
    Its not.

It's just Henrietta up to her old tricks, trying to stirr the pot and create controversy and contention.

Tarzan

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
    Its not.

It's just Henrietta up to her old tricks, trying to stirr the pot and create controversy and contention.

Tarzan
    a 'goof' with a keyboard, a.k.a keyboard cowboi to go along with our stone keyboard kops.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
    That's because HankT does not OC.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    a 'goof' with a keyboard
    LOL, and to you, too, NSL. Getting to be like old times around here. Now we just need to find BobCav. This site's getting interesting, again.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Yeah, I know. And to some degree I am sorry for it.

I wrote and deleted an OCDO post that Cleo and Henrietta have risen zombie-like just in time for a Halloween exorcism with a Silver Bullet (by Coors of course) to their center of 'ass.

Post imported post

Was the constable OC'ing? Was he even armed? The shooter was CC'ing and got the drop on the Constable soif he was OC the perp didn't take it as a big threat.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    SNIP I wrote and deleted an OCDO post that Cleo and Henrietta have risen zombie-like just in time for a Halloween exorcism with a Silver Bullet (by Coors of course) to their center of 'ass.

Despite being obviously argumentative, something that creative should have been allowed to stand, regardless of who it was about.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

In any case who keeps a firearm under a sofa cushion??
    I do. I guess it doesn't meet your criteria for where one should keep firearms?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    In any case who keeps a firearm under a sofa cushion??
    I do. I guess it doesn't meet your criteria for where one should keep firearms?
    Kinda lumpy, ain't it?
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

That could have been a butcher knife under the cushions and the results could have been worse in that case. A cop I was aquainted with down in the Canal Zone told me he'd tather be shot than have a blade stuck in him.

In any case who keeps a firearm under a sofa cushion?? Seem to me he had planned this, the charge should be attempted premeditated murder of an LEO and were I on the jury I would recommend a life sentence with no parole, if in fact he is guilty.
    Recently, a process server in Loveland was killed with a baseball bat under similar circumstances. This is more of a "If you're a cop you never know when you are dealing with a dangerous nut" story.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    a 'goof' with a keyboard
    LOL, and to you, too, NSL. Getting to be like old times around here. Now we just need to find BobCav. This site's getting interesting, again.

You rang?

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:

Wrong-O, gents.

This is a story about one of us.

Tamarr Minor is one of us. Heis (was) entitled to buy and own a gun, he was entitled to defend himself, and he was entitled to decide how to handle an encroachment into his personal space. He was a gun owner and a believer in 2A.

Our brother Minor made some bad choices. Some really bad choices. As a result, our brother became a goof with a gun.

We take credit for and bask in the glory of a citizen who uses his gun to save himself or do some otherrighteous and heroicact. We do that because such a guy is one of us.So it is with the goofs (those who are LACs) who do stoopid stuff. Like ourbrother Minor.

Tryingthe gambit of "This is not a gun story...." is a pathetic attempt at spin control. And it's easily recognizable as such. Laughable to everyone except the spinners...

"Don't focus on the gun in that story. It could havebeen a baseball bat....an axe...a crowbar....why, it could even have been--a banana!"

LOL.

Post imported post

Hank:

Why do you go out of your way to call this guy a "family man" when the article specifically says he lived alone?
    Why are you so sure his gun was legally owned, when article doesn't say that?
    Why do you think he is a supporter of 2A when article doesn't say that?
    Why do you think he's a member of this forum (our brother) when the article doesn't say that?
    Why do you think that calling this deranged animal my brother means you can take my gun?
    What did I ever do to you?
    Why are you so obsessed with bananas?

Post imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
    Hank:

Why do you go out of your way to call this guy a "family man" when the article specifically says he lived alone?
    "He has a good family and he's accomplished a lot of things without a college degree," said Fish.
    Why are you so sure his gun was legally owned, when article doesn't say that?
    has had no prior brush with the law. I think we could assume that it was legal sonce he had no prior offenses and was not charged with any gun violation other than shooting someone
    Why do you think he is a supporter of 2A when article doesn't say that?
    Since he kept a gun between the cushions of his sofa we could assume that also.
    Why do you think he's a member of this forum (our brother) when the article doesn't say that?
    I took it as Hank saying that he was a brother in the support of guns and not as a member of any forum.
    Why do you think that calling this deranged animal my brother means you can take my gun?
    What did I ever do to you?
    Why are you so obsessed with bananas?
    :celebrate
    You brought up some of the same questions I had before I went back and read carefully but may still be missing something. I do think this is OC related and definitely gun related. He could have used a baseball bat or a knife or his fists or whatever but he used a gun. That makes it gun related.

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    a 'goof' with a keyboard

You rang?
    Hay the Gang's all here

good to see you Bob.

Tarzan

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:

Wrong-O, gents.

This is a story about one of us.

Tamarr Minor is one of us. Heis (was) entitled to buy and own a gun, he was entitled to defend himself, and he was entitled to decide how to handle an encroachment into his personal space. He was a gun owner and a believer in 2A.

Our brother Minor made some bad choices. Some really bad choices. As a result, our brother became a goof with a gun.

We take credit for and bask in the glory of a citizen who uses his gun to save himself or do some otherrighteous and heroicact. We do that because such a guy is one of us.So it is with the goofs (those who are LACs) who do stoopid stuff. Like ourbrother Minor.

Tryingthe gambit of "This is not a gun story...." is a pathetic attempt at spin control. And it's easily recognizable as such. Laughable to everyone except the spinners...

"Don't focus on the gun in that story. It could havebeen a baseball bat....an axe...a crowbar....why, it could even have been--a banana!"

LOL.

I'll answer that. Once he decided to use his firearm in such a blatantly irrational and illegal manner, at that very moment he crossed the line from being a LAC to being a common violent criminal and chose to no longer be one of us. What he did is far different than a LAC, in a moment of panic and the threat of his or someone else's life, makes a bad decision in the "fog of war".
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast