• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Family Man Makes BIG Mistake In One Second

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

"Good family" man.....and... a goof with a gun.

Trying to solve a temporary problem with a permanent solution...:(

10/10/2008

Man who shot constable pleads guilty to attempted murder

By: Marlene DiGiacomo

MEDIA COURTHOUSE - Pennsylvania Constable Carmen "Skip" Damiani, who still has a bullet lodged in his body, sat somberly Friday as 21-year-old Tamarr Minor entered pleas to two counts of attempted murder for opening fire last April, when authorities tried to evict him from his Yeadon apartment.

Damiani was accompanied in court by a half dozen constables, who were wearing their gray work uniforms, as was the victim.

Damiani, of Upper Darby, who has served more than four decades in his post, declined comment, except to state he will have more to say at the time of Minor's sentencing, which was set for Dec. 23.

During the June preliminary hearing, Damiani testified he believed "I was gonna die," when he was shot on the left side of his head by Minor. "I saw a flash. I went numb," he said during that earlier hearing.

Deputy District Attorney Daniel McDevitt told Judge Ann Osborne, who accepted the pleas, that because of the fragile nature of Damiani's injury, surgeons elected not to try to remove the bullet.

The shootings occurred last April 23 as Damiani was serving a forcible eviction notice on Minor at his unit at the Parkview Court Apartments. Damiani was accompanied that day by Ted Hicks, the apartment manager, who also was wounded in the attack.
McDevitt said he will seek 20 years incarceration at the time of sentencing for Minor, who remained handcuffed while in court. The prosecutor told Osborne that Minor had tried to "pay up" what he owed in back rent just a week before, but didn't have enough money.

Following the hearing, McDevitt said Minor "knew the eviction was coming." He said the defendant sat on the couch to change his shoes and then grabbed the gun from under the couch cushions and began shooting.

"This was a totally unprovoked attack to kill two people," said McDevitt.
McDevitt said that Hicks was shot in the stomach and has undergone several surgeries, including the removal of his gall bladder this summer, when surgeons finally extracted the bullet.

Hicks was not in court. "He called me this morning and felt it wasn't necessary to be here today," said Damiani. "He will be here at the time of sentencing."

During Friday's hearing, Minor remained seated and replied with firm "yes" answers to a series of routine questions posed by Osborne as to whether his pleas were knowing and voluntary.

Friends and relatives of the defendant were clustered together in court as the pleas were entered.

Defense Attorney Lonny Fish told Osborne that he will challenge the legality of the eviction during the upcoming sentencing hearing. He will be attempting to show the shooting was not planned in an effort to have Minor receive a more lenient sentence.
The defendant faces at least five years in jail - the mandatory minimum for crimes committed with a firearm.

Fish said he will also present testimony during that hearing from a mental health expert regarding his client.

Minor, who lived alone in the third floor unit in the 2200 block of Alfred Drive, reportedly owed about $2,000 in back rent, according to authorities.
Outside the courtroom, Fish denied that Minor intended to shot anybody that day.

"It looks like he (Minor) was lying in wait, but that's not the case," said Fish. "He (Minor) didn't know they were coming to evict him. In his (Minor's) mind it could have been self-defense. But under the law he was wrong. He has taken responsibility for his actions."

Fish said that at the time Minor was "an out-of-work professional."
He said that Minor has held jobs as a financial advisor and an insurance consultant for several firms, and has had no prior brush with the law.

"He has a good family and he's accomplished a lot of things without a college degree," said Fish. "This is a case of somebody who made a really bad decision really quickly."

http://www.delcotimes.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20160547&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18171&rfi=6

Carnivore

imported post

Yep, in my case I've never been late on my mortgage, and being gainfully employed up to this point, I've never had to consider other alternatives to paying what I owe.. My bills come in the mailbox instead of hand delivered, So I guess the MAILMAN is the bad guy, he's the one that keeps hounding me to pay out more money.

This guy sounds like a loose cannon to me, one time offense or not, this action was very very very irrational..

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I'm guessing that Constable Damiani was in uniform when this happened. If that's true Minor knowingly shot a LEO. No mercy for Minor. Most LEOs are good people who are doing their best beat back the madness as it strikes out at society. They deserve our support and respect.

Alexcabbie

imported post

This isn't a gun story although the drive-bys would love to present it so. This is an "If you're a cop you never know when you are dealing with a dangerous nut" story.

That could have been a butcher knife under the cushions and the results could have been worse in that case. A cop I was aquainted with down in the Canal Zone told me he'd tather be shot than have a blade stuck in him.

In any case who keeps a firearm under a sofa cushion?? Seem to me he had planned this, the charge should be attempted premeditated murder of an LEO and were I on the jury I would recommend a life sentence with no parole, if in fact he is guilty.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
This isn't a gun story ...

Is that so?

What'd he shoot those two guys with, a banana?

istockphoto_615967_banana_gun.jpg

LOL.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
This isn't a gun story although the drive-bys would love to present it so. This is an "If you're a cop you never know when you are dealing with a dangerous nut" story.

Have to agree with Alexcabbie on this one.

tarzan1888

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Does not seem OC related at all.

Yata hey

Its not.

It's just Henrietta up to her old tricks, trying to stirr the pot and create controversy and contention.

Tarzan

PT111

imported post

Was the constable OC'ing? Was he even armed? The shooter was CC'ing and got the drop on the Constable soif he was OC the perp didn't take it as a big threat.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
SNIP I wrote and deleted an OCDO post that Cleo and Henrietta have risen zombie-like just in time for a Halloween exorcism with a Silver Bullet (by Coors of course) to their center of 'ass.
:D:D:D

Despite being obviously argumentative, something that creative should have been allowed to stand, regardless of who it was about.

thorvaldr

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

That could have been a butcher knife under the cushions and the results could have been worse in that case. A cop I was aquainted with down in the Canal Zone told me he'd tather be shot than have a blade stuck in him.

In any case who keeps a firearm under a sofa cushion?? Seem to me he had planned this, the charge should be attempted premeditated murder of an LEO and were I on the jury I would recommend a life sentence with no parole, if in fact he is guilty.
Recently, a process server in Loveland was killed with a baseball bat under similar circumstances. This is more of a "If you're a cop you never know when you are dealing with a dangerous nut" story.