Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curse you guys!

Post imported post

I was up at the Tanner Gun Show in Denver today, and I found a guy selling a M91/30 that I just had to have. It's a '28 Tula hex receiver with all matching serials. The finish on the stock is nothing to write home about, but the wood itself is in good condition. The only thing odd is that the trigger and magazine have Izhevsk bow and arrow stamps on them. The trigger could easily be a replacement, but is seems odd that the magazine would be replaced by itself and not the whole floorplate/follower assembly. The floorplate has the matching SN and a Tula hammer stamp, so that is original.

Post imported post

Betcha can't own just one!:celebrate

Post imported post

There's three in my closet right now. One is going to my dad, one is going to a buddies's dad, but you can bet that I'll have another one soon. If I can scrape up $1500 (yeah, right) I could have a sniper complete with scope.

Banned

Post imported post

looks like a pos to me but whatever never shot one before

Post imported post

Yeah, they are uglier than sin alright. Still fun to shoot.

I found marks for Provisional black powder proof and Final black powder proof. What do those mean?

State Researcher

Post imported post

jopencarry wrote:
    And why does it look like a POS to you? Because you have never seen a short bolt handle on a straight wristed stock? Or because it doesn't look like the latest fad rifle? These things are STILL being used around the world, and were used to successfully drive off the Nazi war machine (and in Finland to drive off the Rooskies AND Nazis)

State Researcher

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    Yeah, they are uglier than sin alright. Still fun to shoot.

I found marks for Provisional black powder proof and Final black powder proof. What do those mean?
    It didn't blow up either time they ran high powered proof loads through it, so it likely wouldn't blow up with normal issue loads.

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    These things are STILL being used around the world, and were used to successfully drive off the Nazi war machine (and in Finland to drive off the Rooskies AND Nazis)
    I don't know if I should be amazed or disappointed that I own an 80 year old gun that will outshoot guns that are made today.

sv_libertarian wrote:
    It didn't blow up either time they ran high powered proof loads through it, so it likely wouldn't blow up with normal issue loads.
    Ah, that makes sense.

State Researcher

Post imported post

FogRider, wait until you get ahold of a Finnish modified Mosin Nagant! The cadilacs of Mosins.

Post imported post

I've been spending some time at 7.62x54r.net boning up on the various markings/stamps so I can recognize the better models when I see them. If I can find a Finn I'm planning on picking it up.

Post imported post

They are indeed a blast... literally. My favorite is my 1896 dated Tula, still shoots great at 112 years old! Warn anyone standing next to you on the line, it's a loudenboomer!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Not to bad for the money, but I'm selling mine. Simplifying my logistics.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    The only thing odd is that the trigger and magazine have Izhevsk bow and arrow stamps on them. The trigger could easily be a replacement, but is seems odd that the magazine would be replaced by itself and not the whole floorplate/follower assembly. The floorplate has the matching SN and a Tula hammer stamp, so that is original.
    Your 91/30 has been mix-&-matched when it was refurbished. Is the floor-plate serial# electropenciled or lined-out?There's anarsenal mark on the underside of the receiver tang as well.

Check out the muzzle-blast on my '42 Izhevsk M38.... it often sets off car alarms at the range when I fire it.
    And why does it look like a POS to you? Because you have never seen a short bolt handle on a straight wristed stock? Or because it doesn't look like the latest fad rifle? These things are STILL being used around the world, and were used to successfully drive off the Nazi war machine (and in Finland to drive off the Rooskies AND Nazis.

BTW.....

This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics!

:P

State Researcher

Post imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:

Indeed it is, I had to go over to Gun and Game to see your refinished M38. :P

Post imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
    Your 91/30 has been mix-&-matched when it was refurbished. Is the floor-plate serial# electropenciled or lined-out?There's anarsenal mark on the underside of the receiver tang as well.
    No, nothing has been re-marked. As far as I can tell the only non-matched parts are the mag well and the trigger.

AnaxImperator wrote:

Sorry, I don't have any yet. I'll post 'em when I take 'em.

Post imported post

I have a 91/30 and a M44. The M44 was taken out this weekend for a campout and found I could shoot out to 300 yards with the bayonette closed and hit the target 15 for 15.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    I was up at the Tanner Gun Show in Denver today, and I found a guy selling a M91/30 that I just had to have. It's a '28 Tula hex receiver with all matching serials. The finish on the stock is nothing to write home about, but the wood itself is in good condition. The only thing odd is that the trigger and magazine have Izhevsk bow and arrow stamps on them. The trigger could easily be a replacement, but is seems odd that the magazine would be replaced by itself and not the whole floorplate/follower assembly. The floorplate has the matching SN and a Tula hammer stamp, so that is original.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Post imported post

RedKnightt wrote:

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”
    I know, I know. There is film in my pickup right now, just waiting to be developed. If I was successful in trying to figure out how to operate the flash, I will be posting pictures of my new M91/30 and the M44 I grabbed on Sunday.

Post imported post

Took a couple out this weekend myself.

Boy the M44 is fun to shoot. Got a lot of looks as I went through clip after clip in that one.

Found myself having a sub 2 inch group with the M44 at 50 yards. For my first time shooting it, and it being a 50 year oldrifle,I thought it was more than acceptable.

Post imported post

The "sniper" version of the 91/30 with authentic hardware/optics wholesales for just under $500 typically, so $1,500 is rather steep. You can get a better deal on those if you look around. Even paying broker fees through a GunBroker.com listing should get you something comparable for about half that price.

-ljp

Post imported post

That's why I didn't even think of touching it. I did take a close look at the tag to make sure I read the price right, and it was actually marked down from something closer to $2000 (I don't remember the exact price).

Post imported post

I love my M44. One of the most accurate and deafening rifles I've shot. I just wish I could put a nice muzzle break on it
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

Post imported post

Ok, I've got my pictures developed. I just threw them all in an open directory, so you get to see all of them, overexposed and out of focus included.

http://noticeablyfat.com/Content/Mosin%20Nagant/

Post imported post

I picked up a 91/30 myself this weekend. I was buying an DPMS LR-308 and figured I might as well get a M-N while I was at it. Mines a mismatch as well, a Tula round barrel and Ishvek receiver handled by Inter Ordinance. I think I can poke someone's eye out at 50 yds with bayonet. I haven't shot it yet as I've been having fun with the 308.

I've heard I should have the headspace checked on the 91/30 before firing. Is this true or are all the reassembled/imported rifles checked already?

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    The "sniper" version of the 91/30 with authentic hardware/optics wholesales for just under $500 typically, so $1,500 is rather steep. You can get a better deal on those if you look around. Even paying broker fees through a GunBroker.com listing should get you something comparable for about half that price.

-ljp
    R-Guns has original PU M91/30s for $800, with original scopes/mounts. They've not been reassembled from ex-snipers as a lot of importers do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast