• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Curse you guys!

FogRider

imported post

I was up at the Tanner Gun Show in Denver today, and I found a guy selling a M91/30 that I just had to have. It's a '28 Tula hex receiver with all matching serials. The finish on the stock is nothing to write home about, but the wood itself is in good condition. The only thing odd is that the trigger and magazine have Izhevsk bow and arrow stamps on them. The trigger could easily be a replacement, but is seems odd that the magazine would be replaced by itself and not the whole floorplate/follower assembly. The floorplate has the matching SN and a Tula hammer stamp, so that is original.

FogRider

imported post

There's three in my closet right now. One is going to my dad, one is going to a buddies's dad, but you can bet that I'll have another one soon. If I can scrape up $1500 (yeah, right) I could have a sniper complete with scope.

FogRider

imported post

Yeah, they are uglier than sin alright. Still fun to shoot.

I found marks for Provisional black powder proof and Final black powder proof. What do those mean?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

jopencarry wrote:
looks like a pos to me but whatever never shot one before
And why does it look like a POS to you? Because you have never seen a short bolt handle on a straight wristed stock? Or because it doesn't look like the latest fad rifle? These things are STILL being used around the world, and were used to successfully drive off the Nazi war machine (and in Finland to drive off the Rooskies AND Nazis)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Yeah, they are uglier than sin alright. Still fun to shoot.

I found marks for Provisional black powder proof and Final black powder proof. What do those mean?
It didn't blow up either time they ran high powered proof loads through it, so it likely wouldn't blow up with normal issue loads.

FogRider

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
These things are STILL being used around the world, and were used to successfully drive off the Nazi war machine (and in Finland to drive off the Rooskies AND Nazis)
I don't know if I should be amazed or disappointed that I own an 80 year old gun that will outshoot guns that are made today.

sv_libertarian wrote:
It didn't blow up either time they ran high powered proof loads through it, so it likely wouldn't blow up with normal issue loads.
Ah, that makes sense.

FogRider

imported post

I've been spending some time at 7.62x54r.net boning up on the various markings/stamps so I can recognize the better models when I see them. If I can find a Finn I'm planning on picking it up.

zoom6zoom

imported post

They are indeed a blast... literally. My favorite is my 1896 dated Tula, still shoots great at 112 years old! Warn anyone standing next to you on the line, it's a loudenboomer!

AnaxImperator

imported post

FogRider wrote:
The only thing odd is that the trigger and magazine have Izhevsk bow and arrow stamps on them. The trigger could easily be a replacement, but is seems odd that the magazine would be replaced by itself and not the whole floorplate/follower assembly. The floorplate has the matching SN and a Tula hammer stamp, so that is original.
Your 91/30 has been mix-&-matched when it was refurbished. Is the floor-plate serial# electropenciled or lined-out?There's anarsenal mark on the underside of the receiver tang as well.

Check out the muzzle-blast on my '42 Izhevsk M38.... it often sets off car alarms at the range when I fire it. :D
looks like a pos to me but whatever never shot one before
And why does it look like a POS to you? Because you have never seen a short bolt handle on a straight wristed stock? Or because it doesn't look like the latest fad rifle? These things are STILL being used around the world, and were used to successfully drive off the Nazi war machine (and in Finland to drive off the Rooskies AND Nazis.
sign_yeah.gif

BTW.....

:cuss:This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics! :cuss:

:p

FogRider

imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
Your 91/30 has been mix-&-matched when it was refurbished. Is the floor-plate serial# electropenciled or lined-out?There's anarsenal mark on the underside of the receiver tang as well.
No, nothing has been re-marked. As far as I can tell the only non-matched parts are the mag well and the trigger.

AnaxImperator wrote:
:cuss:This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics! :cuss:

:p
Sorry, I don't have any yet. I'll post 'em when I take 'em.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have a 91/30 and a M44. The M44 was taken out this weekend for a campout and found I could shoot out to 300 yards with the bayonette closed and hit the target 15 for 15.

RedKnightt

imported post

FogRider wrote:
I was up at the Tanner Gun Show in Denver today, and I found a guy selling a M91/30 that I just had to have. It's a '28 Tula hex receiver with all matching serials. The finish on the stock is nothing to write home about, but the wood itself is in good condition. The only thing odd is that the trigger and magazine have Izhevsk bow and arrow stamps on them. The trigger could easily be a replacement, but is seems odd that the magazine would be replaced by itself and not the whole floorplate/follower assembly. The floorplate has the matching SN and a Tula hammer stamp, so that is original.
vbimghost.php
vbimghost.php
891248ed97f2bf6d6.jpg

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

FogRider

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:

vbimghost.php
vbimghost.php
891248ed97f2bf6d6.jpg

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”
I know, I know. There is film in my pickup right now, just waiting to be developed. If I was successful in trying to figure out how to operate the flash, I will be posting pictures of my new M91/30 and the M44 I grabbed on Sunday.

David.Car

imported post

Took a couple out this weekend myself.

Boy the M44 is fun to shoot. Got a lot of looks as I went through clip after clip in that one.

Found myself having a sub 2 inch group with the M44 at 50 yards. For my first time shooting it, and it being a 50 year oldrifle,I thought it was more than acceptable.

Legba

imported post

The "sniper" version of the 91/30 with authentic hardware/optics wholesales for just under $500 typically, so $1,500 is rather steep. You can get a better deal on those if you look around. Even paying broker fees through a GunBroker.com listing should get you something comparable for about half that price.

-ljp