• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Curse you guys!

FogRider

imported post

That's why I didn't even think of touching it. I did take a close look at the tag to make sure I read the price right, and it was actually marked down from something closer to $2000 (I don't remember the exact price).

Dom

imported post

I picked up a 91/30 myself this weekend. I was buying an DPMS LR-308 and figured I might as well get a M-N while I was at it. Mines a mismatch as well, a Tula round barrel and Ishvek receiver handled by Inter Ordinance. I think I can poke someone's eye out at 50 yds with bayonet. I haven't shot it yet as I've been having fun with the 308.

I've heard I should have the headspace checked on the 91/30 before firing. Is this true or are all the reassembled/imported rifles checked already?

AnaxImperator

imported post

Legba wrote:
The "sniper" version of the 91/30 with authentic hardware/optics wholesales for just under $500 typically, so $1,500 is rather steep. You can get a better deal on those if you look around. Even paying broker fees through a GunBroker.com listing should get you something comparable for about half that price.

-ljp
R-Guns has original PU M91/30s for $800, with original scopes/mounts. They've not been reassembled from ex-snipers as a lot of importers do.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Good cheap fun!!!
I'm waiting on the new Big 5 to get their FFL01 so I can browse their lil inventory.
Last fall I traded away an M38 (Izzy lam with a REAL M38 stock, not the M44 version) for a cheap bass for my kid. The kid eventually traded the bass for a better one and I'm still out a rifle!!!:cuss:

But, lo and behold, my friend now wants another 9mm, so I might take his offer on the rifle +$200 for my PT99AF. I want my rifle back!!!
Just scored another mauser too. Czech VZ24, traded my Hi Point .45 for it. HA HA!!! SCORE!!!

PavePusher

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Good cheap fun!!!
I'm waiting on the new Big 5 to get their FFL01 so I can browse their lil inventory.
Last fall I traded away an M38 (Izzy lam with a REAL M38 stock, not the M44 version) for a cheap bass for my kid. The kid eventually traded the bass for a better one and I'm still out a rifle!!!:cuss:

But, lo and behold, my friend now wants another 9mm, so I might take his offer on the rifle +$200 for my PT99AF. I want my rifle back!!!
Just scored another mauser too. Czech VZ24, traded my Hi Point .45 for it. HA HA!!! SCORE!!!
Addiction is so sad to watch... Snicker, snort!!:lol:

FogRider

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Addiction is so sad to watch... Snicker, snort!!:lol:
While waiting on my second BG check of the weekend to go through, I passed some time texting a buddy of mine, and sending him pictures of my newest toys (it's even worse on him now that he's got a kid on the way, no toys for him :D). He informed me of his opinion that I had an addiction, I informed him of my intent to put a knee in his.. well... you know, if he attemped an intervention. His only reply to that was "fair enough". Ahhh, to much fun I tell ya.

squisher

imported post

While we're on the topic of awesome old bolt action rifles (I LOVE my M44), I've also got a k98 variant, and I was wondering if anybody here could ID the crest that's stamped into it:

k98_Receiver_Crest_detail.jpg

On topic: M44's are THE bargain in big guns it seems. I need another one, or a 91/30, or really any of the Mosins. My boss has one, and he's refinished the stock. It looks NICE.

Legba

imported post

squisher - I have a Mauser re-tread and I don't recognize the crest. I can tell you that it's not a standard marking from any of these: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czechoslovakia, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Lithuania, Manchuria, Mexico, Netherlands, Orange Free State, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, Syria, Turkey, Uruguay, Venezuela, or Yugoslavia...

Mine's a Colombian one rebarreled in .30-06 and is one of my favorite rifles. Anyway, good luck with the ID. ;-/

-ljp

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have an M38...

Well.....

http://photos.claytonscott.info/images/A_9/3/5/9/29539/M38_322cc.jpg

M38_322cc.jpg

• MN 1938 7.62x54R - Big5 $80
  • ATI MonteCarlo Stock $50
  • Nc Star 4x32 scope $30
  • Unknown front sight mount $20
  • RockMountain Bipod $30
  • Unknown sling (gift from father) est. $15
  • Total (not including evil dealers fees) $225
All I need now is someone that can bend the bolt for me. I refuse to drill it...so if you know anyone......I am getting my C&R and will drive to JGSales in AZ and buy a dozen or so. . . It just makes sence. If SHTF I may recruit the neighbors I like.....

squisher

imported post

Legba wrote:
squisher - I have a Mauser re-tread and I don't recognize the crest. I can tell you that it's not a standard marking from any of these: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czechoslovakia, Ethiopia, France, Greece, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Lithuania, Manchuria, Mexico, Netherlands, Orange Free State, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, Syria, Turkey, Uruguay, Venezuela, or Yugoslavia...

Mine's a Colombian one rebarreled in .30-06 and is one of my favorite rifles. Anyway, good luck with the ID. ;-/

-ljp
Thanks.

Theseus: that's a nice looking MN you got there. Think the place you got your stock from has any for a k98 styled mauser clone? My unidentified 7.92's stock is in pretty bad shape (starting to split).

FogRider

imported post

squisher wrote:
While we're on the topic of awesome old bolt action rifles (I LOVE my M44), I've also got a k98 variant, and I was wondering if anybody here could ID the crest that's stamped into it:
If you can give me a few more particulars about the rifle, I can post it on a couple other sites and see if I can't get you an answer.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

squisher wrote:
Legba wrote:

-ljp
Thanks.

Theseus: that's a nice looking MN you got there. Think the place you got your stock from has any for a k98 styled mauser clone? My unidentified 7.92's stock is in pretty bad shape (starting to split).
Second that. With more details we will be sure to find your replacement stock, maybe even a synthetic one you can use.

AbNo

imported post

Theseus wrote:
I have an M38...

Well.....

M38_322cc.jpg
  • ATI MonteCarlo Stock $50
What's that black sh:exclaim:t all over your Nagant? Seriously, I haven't seen a wooden finish that dirty in a while. It looks TERRIBLE!

This is what a Nagant should look like. Just got it two weeks ago, haven't even taken it out yet. :)

Theseus wrote: [/b]
With more details we will be sure to find your replacement stock, maybe even a synthetic one you can use.

No. Bad! You do NOT put plastic on one of these. :X

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AbNo wrote:
What's that black sh:exclaim:t all over your Nagant? Seriously, I haven't seen a wooden finish that dirty in a while. It looks TERRIBLE!

This is what a Nagant should look like. Just got it two weeks ago, haven't even taken it out yet. :)

Theseus wrote: [/b]
With more details we will be sure to find your replacement stock, maybe even a synthetic one you can use.

"It is mine and I will wash it as long and as hard as I want to."

And when you buy my guns I will let you tell me what I can and can't build on it.. .well, only the ones you buy me.

squisher

imported post

AbNo wrote:

Theseus wrote:

Can too, especially if you're low on $$$

BTW, with FogRider's help I ID'd my K98 as a Yugoslavian K98, thanks!

I like the looks of wood stocks better normally as well, but the atigunstocks.com synthetic for the k98 includes scope mount rails, which is pretty sweet for <$100 IMO.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

squisher wrote:
Can too, especially if you're low on $$$

BTW, with FogRider's help I ID'd my K98 as a Yugoslavian K98, thanks!

I like the looks of wood stocks better normally as well, but the atigunstocks.com synthetic for the k98 includes scope mount rails, which is pretty sweet for <$100 IMO.

I suspected as much. I am not a great gun buff...but from what I could tell there were only a few kinds of K98's that you can even get stocks for...and Yugo was one of them.

And I didn't say in the last post, but I plan on some day restoring the original stock, maybe when I build my AR. But the stock is not that great looking and needs to be refinished and detailed.

hp-hobo

imported post

I'm late to the party but still wanted tothrow my one centto the Mosin Nagant bandwagon.

I decided a while back that an M38 was the gun for me. It just looked right and I was sold by it's reputation. Upon finding the right deal my wife decided she also wanted a 91/30 because they're "cute".:shock: So a month ago we took delivery of a 1944 Izzy M38 with an M44 laminated stock,a 1943 Izzy 91/30 with a hardwood stock and 880 rounds of Poland's finest silver tip ammo. Not too bad for under $350 including shipping and transfer fees. We now have 600 rounds of Bulgarian yellow tip on the way too.

We've only been able to make one trip to the long gun side of the local range, but they're a hoot to shoot. Kabloowie! Kinda tough on the old shoulders though, especially with the steel butt plate.

Anyway, two thumbs up.