Gun owner says open-carry is not posing but protection
    Posted to: Kerry Dougherty Opinion

[/color][/u] Kerry Dougherty
    Virginian-Pilot columnist
    Read Articles
    Kerry's blog

The Virginian-Pilot
    © October 12, 2008

A woman alone. After dark. In downtown Norfolk.

A recipe for fear?

Not last Tuesday. Safest place in town, I thought as I pulled into the dimly lit parking garage behind City Hall.

It was, after all, Dirty Harry Night at Norfolk City Council. Dozens of law-abiding gun owners were expected, all openly packing heat, to protest the city's alleged harassment of a gun owner who had been stopped several times for carrying a weapon.

The man in the bull's-eye is Danladi Moore, a 24-year-old Hampton man who seems to get in trouble every time he comes to Norfolk. After two encounters with the city's police, Moore was awarded $10,000 in July, to avoid a court battle.

The security guard barely had time to spend the loot before he says he was booted from an HRT bus - again, for carrying a weapon - and told he might be arrested.

On Tuesday night, just hours after he and others testified before a stone-faced City Council and received assurances that Norfolk police understood Virginia's gun laws, Moore was stopped again.

He claims he was disarmed, handcuffed and charged with trespassing at Waterside.

Cha-ching.

"Open-carry" is a concept that's alien to many. While everyone seems to know that the commonwealth issues permits to carry concealed weapons, many don't know that anyone who can legally own a gun can carry it without a permit, provided it's in the open.

Ignorance of the law explains the panicky 911 calls to report Moore poking around town with a holstered sidearm.

But it doesn't justify a police response that, according to Moore, resulted in officers hassling him and insisting he had no right to carry a weapon.

Why open-carry? Some say it's the comfortable way to carry a gun when it's hot. Others insist that a visible weapon is a powerful crime deterrent.

"Someone said they thought guys who open-carry are trying to look cool," Moore told me Wednesday. "That's not me. I'm trying to look like a guy who doesn't want to be robbed."

Moore believes he may have thwarted a convenience store holdup once when a suspicious person left after spying his gun.

His latest brush with authorities came after a knot of the open-carry guys headed to Hooters at the conclusion of the council meeting. Most sported weapons, yet their accessories reportedly attracted no attention in the restaurant. No surprise there; no one looks at men at Hooters.

Later, in Waterside, Moore said he and a friend were stopped by two police officers, told they couldn't bring guns into the complex, and ordered to leave.

Moore balked and insisted he was within his rights. Within minutes, Moore claims he was disarmed, handcuffed and charged with trespassing. He has a court date in November.

Before leaving council chambers Tuesday night, I spoke with Moore and asked him about his holstered gun.

"It's a Springfield XD .45," he said, adding with a grin, "I bought it with some of the money I got from Norfolk this summer."

Before this is over, Moore may have a matched set.

Kerry Dougherty, (757) 446-2306, kerry.dougherty@cox.net

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thanks for posting the find, Thundar.

Nice column.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:

[/u]Kerry Dougherty
    Read Articles
    Kerry's blog

The Virginian-Pilot
    © October 12, 2008

It has always been the Virginia Pravda.

Post imported post

Kerry is a thorn in their side, buther employer hashad todefend her for possibly being a, god forbid,"REPUBLICAN" sympathizer, and she has also attended cop's funerals so she must be biased.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Thundar wrote:

[/u]Kerry Dougherty
    Read Articles
    Kerry's blog

The Virginian-Pilot
    © October 12, 2008

It has always been the Virginia Pravda.
    CNN has Glenn Beck, Fox News has Alan Colmes and The Virginia Pravda has Kerry Dougherty. Whay are you trying to say Hank?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Now I really don't care for Kerry Dougherty or her column. She's written several things in the past that were completely off-base and some were factually incorrect.

But I have to give credit where it's due. She wrote a pretty good column. It covered all the bases and more or less told it like it happened.

I don't care for the characterization of 'Dirty Harry' night but hey, it does liven it up and even Dirty Harry didn't always draw his weapon.

So this time, I'll have to say 'Good Job!'

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Kerry Dougherty wrote:
    no one looks at men at Hooters.

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

This article appeared in today's print edition of the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star.

ETA: Ah, just found it on the web page, in the Letters to the Editor section. :?

They also misquoted the original article, saying that the Waterside is an "apartment complex".

You may leave comments to the article, but a username setup is required.

TFred

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    This article appeared in today's print edition of the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star.

ETA: Ah, just found it on the web page, in the Letters to the Editor section. :?
    That's a nice picture they have with the online version of the LTE. While an IWB sans holsters with Virginia tuck is an option, I doubt many OCers carry that way.
    ---

Post imported post

Some interesting comments on the article in the FLS online opinion section. http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/F...1092008/423610