• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can i open carry in Arizona with a CWL from Florida?

hammer6

imported post

if i have my concealed weapons license in the state of florida, which has reciprocity with arizona, and arizona is an open-carry state, then can i legally open carry in arizona?

i'm new to this whole thing. just got a taurus pt92

AZkopper

imported post

Know Arizona'sgun laws, however:

1. Firearm (handgun) must be in a holster, and wholey or partially visible to common observation when OCing.

2. No OC (or CC) in any establishment that sells on-premise alcohol (bars or restaraunts).

3. Without a CCW, firearms carried in a vehicle must be either a)in plain sight, b) in a holster not attached to the body, c) in the glovebox or center console box.

3a. While the actual statute does not expressly state the holster cannot be on the body, case law in AZ has unfortunately ruled that a holster on the body, in a vehicle, is concealed.

4. Watch out for Indian Reservations, most prohibit OC/CC.

5. Stay away from polling places, hydroelectric plants, nuke plants, and schools.

6. Any private business signage that states "no firearms" "no weapons" or such are valid signs and you could be arrested for trespassing if you are carrying (probably just asked to leave, however).

7. Public parks of under 1 sq mile may post 'no firearms without CCW' signs.

8. Public outdoor events that serve alcohol fall under #2 above as well.

That's the basics....

hammer6

imported post

yeah that makes sense..haha. so you are saying that i have to either open carry or concealed carry, not a combination of both? like if i carry it on my hip, either my shirt has to be covering it, or not covering it, but not partially?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

If you have a CWP (or equiv.) you may carry either or. Why y'all don't tuck those shirttails in is beyond me... but I'm one of those who quit wearin' short pants 'n flappin' shirts when I was 5. Carry for self defense... not to 'show off'. This is AZ... nobody cares.

hammer6

imported post

hahahha....i understand. i'm not tryin to show off or anything, it's just that florida is concealed carry only. if your shirt comes up for a second and someone sees it, you can get in trouble for open carry......i have long shirts and short shirts i just want to be safe. i'm not tryin to get arrested when i go to AZ. haha

AZkopper

imported post

If you have a CCW, you can carry anyway you like: Open, open but under an open, flapping 'cover shirt', completely under a shirt, in your crotch, in your shoe, on your head.....

If you don't have a CCW, you must carry in a holster that is wholey or partially visable to casual observation.

The only real exception to OCing without a ccw is car OCing. Judges have screwed that one up, until AZCDL can get new legislation through to codifiy it.

GWbiker

imported post

The only real exception to OCing without a ccw is car OCing. Judges have screwed that one up, until AZCDL can get new legislation through to modify it

After we remove exschool teacher, super nanny/politician Janet from office. AZ Gov has vetoed several legislations to ease gun restriction.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
After we remove exschool teacher, super nanny/politician Janet from office. AZ Gov has vetoed several legislations to ease gun restriction.
Well said! :) She's a total waste of the taxpayers money.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Well, we can't really "remove" her. Her term is up in 2010, and she is at term limit, so cannot run again. We just need to make sure we get a gun-friendly replacement in there when the time comes!

like_the_roman

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Well, we can't really "remove" her. Her term is up in 2010, and she is at term limit, so cannot run again. We just need to make sure we get a gun-friendly replacement in there when the time comes!

Arizona does have the ability to recall elected officials, though I doubt there are enough gun owners to start a mass movement of that type.