Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt Holster or Paddle Holster

Post imported post

I'm curious as to the various pro and cons to belt and paddle holsters.

I'm currently using an Uncle Mike's belt holster for my Glock 30 and I'm awaiting the arrival of a Fobus Roto paddle holster, so I'll add my own experiences once I have some time wearing the paddle.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

I'm pretty new to the whole carry movement and didn't really like paddle holsters because I thought they looked uncomfortable. So I bought a belt holster. After putting it on and taking it off several times I'm REALLY rethinking my stance. I fully intend to check them out. I think they are probably just as safe, and much more convenient than a belt holster.

Please PM me after you get yours and let me know what you think.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

I love my Serpa paddle. It's a lot more comfortable than it looks like it would be, and with the belt hooks it's pretty damn secure. Once you get it figured out it comes on and off easily, but there's no way someone is going to just grab it and remove it. I still have the Serpa belt attachments... somewhere. Once I tried the paddle I never put them back on.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    I love my Serpa paddle. It's a lot more comfortable than it looks like it would be, and with the belt hooks it's pretty damn secure. Once you get it figured out it comes on and off easily, but there's no way someone is going to just grab it and remove it. I still have the Serpa belt attachments... somewhere. Once I tried the paddle I never put them back on.
    Agree with all of that. I have the Serpa as well, and always use the paddle now. Very comfortable.

Post imported post

I carry in a retention paddle from Fobus, and love it. It's fairly comfortable because the paddle is shaped to conform to the hip, and putting it on takes three seconds at most.

Post imported post

I have a nylon Uncle Mikes belt holster and a Fobus roto paddle for my Ruger P94. I absolutely love the paddle. Comfortable, easily adjustable, and the paddle friction feels like it reduces the 'drag the pants down' feel. Drawbacks: The roto paddle adjustment locking screw doesn't stay tight on mine. I have to re-tighten it about weekly. I will be taking it all the way out and applying threadlocker compound on it this week, I'll let you know how it goes.

Respectfully,

Pol

Post imported post

I carry a Glock 21....large by any standard. The Paddle holster by Fobus does just fine. The belt AND pants along with thigh friction makes mine super dooper. NO SAG! Good, solid retention. No Weeble Wobble when I walk.

First time I drew, nearly pulled pants to my armpit. Got a hint to ARMORALL the inside of holster! WOW! Slick draw, but holster still holds great.

Always marvelled at the SOUND of a weapon in the movies being drawn. Just a movie. Mine makes just that sound now. Awesome.

Post imported post

I have a Safariland leather paddle for my Beretta and I love it. My original intent was something I could wear with suites, since dress belts are too thin and narrow to adequately support my belt holster. I was very impressed with the paddle and I certainly appreciate the quick on/off convenience. The belt holster has been collecting dust on the closet shelf ever since.

Post imported post

If I carry OWB I almost always carry with a paddle holster. It retains well but also comes off fairly easily if I need to remove it during the day for some reason.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

You guys have pretty much convinced me. I get paid tomorrow. Guess who's going shopping this week?
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Just remember that holsters are like everything else... you get what you pay for. Cheap holsters are exactly that, and quality costs a little more money. Good luck - happy hunting!

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    Just remember that holsters are like everything else... you get what you pay for. Cheap holsters are exactly that, and quality costs a little more money. Good luck - happy hunting!
    Thanks. I intend to check them out and give them a serious look. That's as far as I'll commit right now. But if I find one that works for me (meaning it works as advertised and is comfortable) I'll buy it. It's hard to find holsters for a MilPro PT-140, but I know Fobus has one, the HK-1. I'll probably be looking for something like that.

Post imported post

Bookman wrote:
    It's hard to find holsters for a MilPro PT-140, but I know Fobus has one, the HK-1. I'll probably be looking for something like that.
    That is the general problem I've been having with my Glock 30. I am going with the Fobus as they have a decent reputation and they have a holster that fits.

I guess I'll have to get a G20, G21, or G22. I tend to like the bigger stuff. :quirky

Post imported post

Having tried both, I greatly prefer paddle holsters. I carried a Bianchi one for years but I currently carry a carbon fiber serpa paddle holster that is much more secure. Yet, you can easily remove it yourself when needed. It grabs the belt, from both above and below through your pants.

Best of all, I find that a paddle holster distributes the weight of the firearm better than a belt holster, especially when wearing jeans. I don't find myself pulling up my pants, on the gun side, as I do when I wear belt holsters.

open4years

Post imported post

WCrawford,

Do you have the opportunity to try it on before you buy it? I tried a friends on with his weapon before I ordered mine for my Ruger P944. That way I was sure that I liked it. If you don't know anyone who has one, you are welcome to try mine. I'm going to the gun show in Smyrna on Sunday, we could meet and you could check it out before purchasing. PM me for contact info.

Pol

Post imported post

Add another vote for the paddle, for all of the reasons mentioned. My personal favorite thing about paddle's vs belt is the weight distribution.

Post imported post

For those of you who have tried both, does a belt holster (riding on a decent belt) support a firearm better than a paddle holster?

Post imported post

HungSquirrel wrote:
    For those of you who have tried both, does a belt holster (riding on a decent belt) support a firearm better than a paddle holster?
    Nope. That's not to say that the belt holster doesn't do a good job of supporting a gun, just that the paddle seems to be better. The paddle has a pretty big area of contact against your hip, so it doesn't move much at all.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    HungSquirrel wrote:
    Nope. That's not to say that the belt holster doesn't do a good job of supporting a gun, just that the paddle seems to be better. The paddle has a pretty big area of contact against your hip, so it doesn't move much at all.
    What he said

Post imported post

Damn. I really wish someone made a retention paddle for L-frame S&Ws. I have to resort to a belt holster if I want retention. That, plus the price of a good gun belt, has me wishing Fobus would add retention to the paddle they already have for it.

Post imported post

HungSquirrel,

I may very well be wrong here, but doesn't the fobus paddle for the L-Frame have the same retention that they have for my P-944? It's just a detent in the trigger guard, so level 1 1/2 ? I have to say, I like the retention they use for my auto.

Respectfully,

Pol

Post imported post

Nope, the Fobus paddle for the L-frame lacks retention. I actually already have this holster, and use it for concealed carry. I would prefer retention for OC, however.

http://www.afmo.com/FOBUS_Holsters_S.../207-00051.htm

Notice there's no release button.

Post imported post

Well, I just ordered a holster from Fobus. I decided on the roto paddle, just in case I want to change the draw angle.

Thanks for your help, folks!

Post imported post

HungSquirrel,

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Fobus use a release button. On mine, retention is provided by a detent in the trigger guard well, which requires a particular drawing motion to get it out. So it's a little better than level 1 retention (friction) but not quite as secure as level 2 (thumb snap or release button). i can't tell from the picture whether that is the case for the L-frame.

I've had multiple people attempt to remove my pistol from my fobus for testing. No one has been able to do so. From the front, back, side, all that happened is they would pull my pants up (heh). So, while I wouldn't necessarily trust it to retain my weapon against a determined person if I was out cold, while I'm alert there is no way this weapon is coming out without my express consent.

respectfully,

Pol

Post imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
    HungSquirrel,

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Fobus use a release button.
    My Fobus for my Baby Eagle has a release button similar to the one found on Serpa holsters. You can see it here, just above the bang switch.

I just wish it were that way for my L-frame holster. Very little force is required to draw the L-frame from the holster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast