• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Evolving to revolvers

Godscreation

imported post

My knowledge of revolvers could fit on the back of a cereal box. I do want to expand my collection to have one. I am a read aholic and was researching revolvers. I was going to get the following for a CC weapon. Any of you folks have this gun/shot/heard of/handled this piece before? C'mon, there's close to 10,000 of us on here! Someone has to know something about this gun! I realize I am in the NC forum where we are not as numerous as other states, so I'll post in the "Selecting a Handgun" section as well.

http://hyattgunstore.x-shops.com/product.php?productid=17234&cat=814&page=1

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
My knowledge of revolvers could fit on the back of a cereal box. I do want to expand my collection to have one. I am a read aholic and was researching revolvers. I was going to get the following for a CC weapon. Any of you folks have this gun/shot/heard of/handled this piece before? C'mon, there's close to 10,000 of us on here! Someone has to know something about this gun! I realize I am in the NC forum where we are not as numerous as other states, so I'll post in the "Selecting a Handgun" section as well.
Looks like a nice gun. Why not consider a S&W J-frame that it is basedon? The Smith is more expensive butone can find pre-owned ones all over the place. Sometimes down to the Rossi's price range.Mostfolks,I think, would rather havea S&W snubbie thanone by Rossi. Although, I hear that Rossi is pretty good. You'll take a hit upon resale, though.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Henrietta replies, 'No. But I'll add to my post count anyway.' Henrietta, that is not a measure of your 'karma', respect or veracity.

Doug Huffman

HankT

pot_kettle.jpg

2offroad

imported post

I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 and like it alot. The S&W is a little better than a Rossi, the newest S&W have a internal lock that has some troubles. Taurus makes a good stubby too.

rdinatal

imported post

I have a Taurus M85 in Titanium (http://www.snubnose.info/docs/M85.htm)which is very similar but lighter. With a IWB holster I find it very easy to put on/off. With that said, I find that I willcarry it more than my XD9SC.

As for Rossi... Since I have both S&W (M19)and Taurus (M85)I find that Rossi just isn't up to the quality. You won't make a mistake with S&W, Taurus and Ruger too.

-R

OBXMIKE

imported post

At the price that one's listed at, you could score a nice Taurus snubby.

Although I know a few guys that have 'em and haven't had any major problem with them, Rossi's have never been at the top of anybody's list for quality. And they're heavy. The used market is lukewarm on them.....kind of a "saturday night special", if you would.

I always check out sites like "gunbroker", "auction arms" or "gunsamerica" to guage price checks if I'm looking to purchase. Gives me at least a ball-park range to judge by.

For the record, I carry a snub pretty much 24/7. I spent up on my Smith 340 scandium/titanium job. I liked the idea of .357 OR .38 versatility, but after the first shot of .357 out of that thing............:what:............I found out I should have just saved a few bucks and got the .38! .357 is a little too much for me in that light (12 oz.) gun.

It is a joy to carry, though.

Patiwack0

imported post

Take a look at the S&W 642 Airweight. It will shoot the .38 +p ammo. You can shop around and oftentimes save some money by just "dickering" a lil bit as well.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
I found out I should have just saved a few bucks and got the .38!  .357 is a little too much for me in that light (12 oz.) gun.
Why not carry .357 for defense? Do you really think you'd notice the extra recoil with adrenaline pumping?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marshaul wrote:
OBXMIKE wrote:
I found out I should have just saved a few bucks and got the .38! .357 is a little too much for me in that light (12 oz.) gun.
Why not carry .357 for defense? Do you really think you'd notice the extra recoil with adrenaline pumping?

Oh, hell yes!!

One or more ofthese gun manufacturers even specifies loads for their ultra-lights because recoil has been demonstrated to unseat some of the remaining bullets which can shift forward out of the chamber mouth and block cylinder rotation.

Definitely read the owner's manual.

Also, I've fired .357 Mag. snubbies. Even the 130 gr.loadsin a (20-28oz.?)all-steel snubbie definitely discourage practice.