Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: evolving to revolvers

Post imported post

My knowledge of revolvers could fit on the back of a cereal box. I do want to expand my collection to have one. I am a read aholic and was researching revolvers. I was going to get the following for a CC weapon. Any of you folks have this gun/shot/heard of/handled this piece before? C'mon, there's close to 10,000 of us on here! Someone has to know something about this gun!

http://hyattgunstore.x-shops.com/pro...814&page=1

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

IMHO - Rossi is a lower end, lower quality handgun. I would prefer a good used S&W personally - I have owned and carried a mod. 60 for years.

Found this on another site -

"Rossi revolvers are now produced by Taurus (since 1997), and sold by BrazTech International L.C. (the exclusive importer) since the same year. They are decent guns for substantially less than Smith & Wesson, and a hair under the price line of their Taurus counterparts. While not the perfectly-machined beauties that Smith & Wesson sells (might I add American Made), they are amazingly similar. Taurus actually manufactured Smith & Wesson look-a-likes under license from S&W, and now manufacture a number of other decent pistols and revolvers of their own design. I own a Taurus M85, which is nearly identical to some of the newer Rossi's out there, and know a few people who own Rossi's in 357/38 spl. They are all good guns from what I've seen/experienced. Keep in mind, however, that the older guns are not manufactured by the same people, with the same standard of quality. Always check for wiggle room in revolvers. You need the cylinder to lock up tight when the hammer is pulled back, but also need the gun to advance from round to round. The good news is that wheel guns are much easier to check for wear/brokenness than semiautomatics. If you are going to bet your life on this gun (as most of Rossi's handguns are for defensive purposes) you will definitely want to test it thoroughly, used or not. One last note, current production .38 spl Rossi's will all accept +P ammunition, while older models may not (likely won't). I would recomend a newer Rossi, but would shy away from some of the older models out there IMHO."

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

We have a Rossi m88, .38 spc.in our family. Very similar to the hyper linkposted.Yes, it is a low priced weapon, but quality does not lack and is aperfect CC gun. Good consistent groups at the range (closest country road with no one around) at 10 yards.

Bought it as a gift for the wife about 8 years ago. It was her first and she loves to shoot it to this day.

I always think about ruggedness in a firearm and dependability. A brand name to me is only that. If it goes bang consistently and groups where I put them, then it is a quality piece. If someone is looking for a piece of art or a show piece, then why worry if it shoots? It is just for looks anyway. I would settle for a Rossi, as aCC piece without regrets.

Post imported post

Ruger makes some fine revolvers too, you might look at them and be pleasantly surprised at the selection and they are STRONG!!!!!!!!!

Post imported post

I appreciate the feedback so far. Some of you are recommending other models, that's fine, but I'm really interested is the Rossi, not other brands. But basically for the price, am I getting a reliable firearm for CC purposes?

Post imported post

IMHO: You can't really go wrong with a Rossi. I've owned quite a few of them over the years and as stated in other replies; the quality of Rossi has improved. My primary oc is a limited edition Rossi M720 in .44spcl. I love the action, shoots well and very comfortable to carry/handle. My only helpful suggestion would be to buy a .357 magnum as far as caliber, in what ever brand/model you purchase. Then you can shoot .38's or .357's at your will. I started my kids out doing this. "plink" the .38's and .357 heavy load for carry.

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    Ruger makes some fine revolvers too, you might look at them and be pleasantly surprised at the selection and they are STRONG!!!!!!!!!
    Nice: I have an old Security Six w/ 3"bbl. That's one gun I'll never part with. Is that also a Security Six?

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    curtm1911 wrote:
    Nice: I have an old Security Six w/ 3"bbl. That's one gun I'll never part with. Is that also a Security Six?
    yes it is, and I am always looking for them too, I like them better than than the GP Series. This is a 4" barrel, great fun and accurate too.

Post imported post

Agreed, much better than the GP series, fixed sites stink. The lastSecurity SixI saw was in a local gun shop about 3yrs ago. Same as yours, only with factory wooden grips. Used...... $275..... a little too stiff for me considering I bought mine..... new... $119.... I'm always in the market for another one. Just that the economics restrict my wants to my needs for now.

Post imported post

Is a 6 shot .357 a lot harder to conceal than a five shot .38?

Post imported post

Godscreation wrote:
    That kind of depends on the fame size and barrel length. Cylinder size will be the same with a .38 and .357. Most .38 revolvers also shoot .357. Easier to conceal small famed snubnosed revolvers.

I know you said you were not interested in other brands, but you really cannot go wrong with a Smith or Ruger revolver. Brand new they are a little more expensive, but they are hard to beat. Just throwing it out there.

Post imported post

Most .38 revolvers also shoot .357.

Uh, you're kinda backwards, DON'T put .357's in a .38 unless you have a death wish.

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:

Uh, you're kinda backwards, DON'T put .357's in a .38 unless you have a death wish.
    No, they fit! Just have to use a hammer and tap the bullet a little farther into the casing, and you can fit the .357s in the 38 Specialrevolversjust fine! :quirky

...Disclaimer: DON'T DO IT...That's a JOKE...
    ...Orygunner...

Post imported post

I have a Brazilian INA .38"saturday night special" that pre-dates Rossi & Taurus but with practiceit still does the job if necessary- just likeany car is good as long as it stops & goes and as long as the gun goes bang when you pull the trigger- the way theeconomy is right now you will see a lot of cheap handguns re-appearing.

Post imported post

I'm not a big fan of revolvers, But I went to a local gun show, and was impressed at the newer revolvers available, hamerles and so on.

I actually wouldn't mind having one now (another, I have my dads old police model 10, .38 special)

Post imported post

I have a Ruger Security Six that I bought new years ago. It has a 6" barrel and is one of my favorite (if not THE favorite) guns that I have. I love it and would not even remotely consider selling it.

Post imported post

Orygunner....glad you took that back. I didn't have a hammer and wuz gonna use my wrench and a punch. Whew!:quirky(sarcasm )

Nuttin' wrong with a Rossi. Cost? Heck, I have an Armscor .38.....

Post imported post

Rossi. Oh, yeah. that was the topic of this thread, wasn't it?

I borrowed my brother's Rossi .38 Special snub nose for self protection for a while, back before I was too into guns. No problems with it, was actually looking for another one recently and was disappointed that I could not find any used ones in any gun store in town!

Must mean they're either rare, or nobody wants to get rid of them!

...Orygunner...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Godscreation wrote:
    Depends on one's build, I should think.

I've seen skinny guys that looked like they could conceal an RPG under a loose T-shirt for the width of their shoulders.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Orygunner wrote:
    Rossi. Oh, yeah. that was the topic of this thread, wasn't it?

I borrowed my brother's Rossi .38 Special snub nose for self protection for a while, back before I was too into guns. No problems with it, was actually looking for another one recently and was disappointed that I could not find any used ones in any gun store in town!

Must mean they're either rare, or nobody wants to get rid of them!

...Orygunner...
    Maybe the two bit BG's have horded them all.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Sorry wrong thread

Post imported post

My Wife chose a Rossi 972 as her first handgun, which she also OC's.

I wasn't too keen on it at first due to my preconceived notions about Rossi's quality (mainly due to other's "educated" opinions), but I very quickly discovered that the negative aspects ascribed to Rossi revolvers by many are simply unfounded assumptions.

For one, the fit & finish of the her 972 is every bit as good as any Ruger or S&W; I could find/feel no burrs or flaws from forging/machining anywhere on the revolver. The cylinder lock-up is tight & rotates with no drag whatsoever; the trigger strokeis without grittiness, loose or sloppytake-up, does not stack-up heavily in DA; and in both SA/DAthefinal break is crisp & consistent. The hammer spur can bereached without having to change one's grip, even with small/slender hands (like mine ); and like the trigger is smooth, without offering too much resistance.

The Rossi's rubber grip is by far the most comfortable finger-groove type I've yet encountered, and places the hand close to the barrel-axis which reduces muzzle-flip & felt recoil. The full-lug barrels on all Rossii also do their part in alleviating muzzle-flip & recoil, and theoretically help accuracy. And the stock sights on Models 971 & 972 (4" & 6" barrels)are easily visible in all conditions, the rear sights are adjustable for windage/elevation, and both are able to be switched out for aftermarket sights.

Lastly, although I'm not a big fan of integral locking mechanisms, the Taurus/Rossi internal lock is, as far as I can tell, extremely unlikely to fail as the S&W internal locks have had a history of doing.

My conclusion is that Rossi revolvers are a helluva deal for ≤$450. They're much better made than those by Charter Arms; and even though they're essentially the same thing, are cheaper than than those made by Rossi's parent company.

Post imported post

Godscreation wrote:
    As everyone else said, it depends on the frame size. That said, I easily conceal my 5-shot .38 snub. I also easily conceal this 4" .357 L-frame monster, under an untucked shirt:

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:

Im sorry I had that backwards. He would have figured it out eventually. Get off my back about it.

Post imported post

Uh, so sorry dude, nothing personal and I wasn't "on your back" so ease up. I was justpointing outan important mistake that could get you killed. So sorry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast