• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

evolving to revolvers

AnaxImperator

imported post

My Wife chose a Rossi 972 as her first handgun, which she also OC's.

I wasn't too keen on it at first due to my preconceived notions about Rossi's quality (mainly due to other's "educated" opinions), but I very quickly discovered that the negative aspects ascribed to Rossi revolvers by many are simply unfounded assumptions.

For one, the fit & finish of the her 972 is every bit as good as any Ruger or S&W; I could find/feel no burrs or flaws from forging/machining anywhere on the revolver. The cylinder lock-up is tight & rotates with no drag whatsoever; the trigger strokeis without grittiness, loose or sloppytake-up, does not stack-up heavily in DA; and in both SA/DAthefinal break is crisp & consistent. The hammer spur can bereached without having to change one's grip, even with small/slender hands (like mine ;) ); and like the trigger is smooth, without offering too much resistance.

The Rossi's rubber grip is by far the most comfortable finger-groove type I've yet encountered, and places the hand close to the barrel-axis which reduces muzzle-flip & felt recoil. The full-lug barrels on all Rossii also do their part in alleviating muzzle-flip & recoil, and theoretically help accuracy. And the stock sights on Models 971 & 972 (4" & 6" barrels)are easily visible in all conditions, the rear sights are adjustable for windage/elevation, and both are able to be switched out for aftermarket sights.

Lastly, although I'm not a big fan of integral locking mechanisms, the Taurus/Rossi internal lock is, as far as I can tell, extremely unlikely to fail as the S&W internal locks have had a history of doing.

My conclusion is that Rossi revolvers are a helluva deal for ≤$450. They're much better made than those by Charter Arms; and even though they're essentially the same thing, are cheaper than than those made by Rossi's parent company.

HungSquirrel

imported post

Godscreation wrote:
Is a 6 shot .357 a lot harder to conceal than a five shot .38?
As everyone else said, it depends on the frame size. That said, I easily conceal my 5-shot .38 snub. I also easily conceal this 4" .357 L-frame monster, under an untucked shirt:

164222_large.jpg

WARCHILD

imported post

Uh, so sorry dude, nothing personal and I wasn't "on your back" so ease up. I was justpointing outan important mistake that could get you killed. So sorry.

2a4all

imported post

I really like my Ruger SP101 (2 1/8" bbl). It's a bit on the heavy side, but that's because it's all Stainless Steel. The trigger has no break, just a smooth pull until the bang. (I bought it b/c I had to send my Charter (.38 spl) back for repair.)

Oh, yeah, I put a Hogue Monogrip on it. Nice!

tarzan1888

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
Most .38 revolvers also shoot .357.

Uh, you're kinda backwards, DON'T put .357's in a .38 unless you have a death wish.

No, they fit! Just have to use a hammer and tap the bullet a little farther into the casing, and you can fit the .357s in the 38 Specialrevolversjust fine! :quirky

...Disclaimer: DON'T DO IT...That's a JOKE...
...Orygunner...

I know its a joke, but I still can't let it stand. Even if you do use a hammer and tap the bullet a little farther in or even use wad cutters that are flush with the end of the casing, or even use an empty .357 casing, it still won't fit in a .38 Special. There is a shoulder in the cylinder that the casing buts up against when the cartridge is placed in the cylinder.

The casing for the .357 is TO LONG, it will not go all of the way into the cylinder and you will not be able to close the action if you put a .357 in a .38.

You could use a hammer and it still would not go in.

Tarzan

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Orygunner wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
Most .38 revolvers also shoot .357.

Uh, you're kinda backwards, DON'T put .357's in a .38 unless you have a death wish.

No, they fit! Just have to use a hammer and tap the bullet a little farther into the casing, and you can fit the .357s in the 38 Specialrevolversjust fine! :quirky

...Disclaimer: DON'T DO IT...That's a JOKE...
...Orygunner...

I know its a joke, but I still can't let it stand. Even if you do use a hammer and tap the bullet a little farther in or even use wad cutters that are flush with the end of the casing, or even use an empty .357 casing, it still won't fit in a .38 Special. There is a shoulder in the cylinder that the casing buts up against when the cartridge is placed in the cylinder.

The casing for the .357 is TO LONG, it will not go all of the way into the cylinder and you will not be able to close the action if you put a .357 in a .38.

You could use a hammer and it still would not go in.

Tarzan
You just ain't using a big enough hammer.

WheelGun

imported post

To summarize:

A .357 cartridge (the 'brass')is .1" (one-tenth inch) longer than a .38 SPL and is specifically designedNOT to fit into a .38 SPL chamber. Period. However the cartridges can be loaded with the same projectiles.

As far as I know, there is no reason for concern using a .38 SPL in any revolver chambered for .357 except for a bit of lead build-up in the extra .1" unused chamber space when using lead wadcutters or other lead bullets.

There has been a trend toward loading .38s with lighter (110 or 125 grain) bullets, while .357 are usually 158 grain.

The energy of a .357 is about double that of a .38SPL. For comparison, 9mm auto is somewhere in the middle of the two, closer to the .38, the .40SW auto is also in the middle, closer to the .357.

Smith and Wesson is (in my opinion) the way to go with revolvers. They are machined with the most modern equipmentand use the most modern metallurgy. They have excellent repair and customization facilities and workmanship. Ruger is a close second.

If I were purchasing my one and only handgun it would be a J-frame SW with 3" heavy barrel. Ideal compromise for cartridge power vs. bulk and weight for all-day carry in civilian clothing. Prefer red ramp front sight, but fixed rear sight.

(Again my opinion) Revolvers are still ideal for a sidearm that will (god willing) never be used beyond sporting purposes, yet can be up and ready in a heartbeat to deliver a .

.357s were designed for piercing automobile bodies. Also excellent for hunting. They actually share the top spot with .45ACP for one-shot stopping power in a handgun according to actual incidents.

However, again in my opinion .38+P is fine for self defense.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Uh, so sorry dude, nothing personal and I wasn't "on your back" so ease up. I was justpointing outan important mistake that could get you killed. So sorry.
Nothing personal, but how would apcci2's mistake get one killed?

Don Barnett

imported post

That is a NICE gun. I also carry a S&W 686 in the 7 shot version and carry it under an large untucked shirt in a high rise holster. I was wearing it all day long on a family outing and was talking to my brother about concealed carry. He is from Maryland and does not have the same liberties as us Virginians. He asked me: "How can you hide a gun on you...it would be too hard." He was surprised when I pulled back my shirt. The point is, you can carry a BIG gun that is hardly noticeable.

shad0wfax

imported post

I've fired Rugers chambered in .44 magnum (super blackhaws), .357 magnum (blackhawk), .38 special (redhawk), and 9mm (yes, 9mm auto, using full moon clips).

I've also fired S&W chambered in .357 magnum (bothJ and K frames).38 special (J only), and the .500 smith in the mondo-frame.

I was pleased with the strength, reliability and accuracy of all of them. There was almost no noticable difference between the Rugers and the Smiths. You pay a bit more for the S&W name. (One of the Smiths was a product of the custom shop and it had a much smoother trigger (in both SA and DA) and the cylinder was much smoother as well. The product of the S&W custom shop was definitely a superior product, but again, you pay quite a bit for it.)

Taurus has been steadily improving their quality over the last few years. I've not fired any Taurus revolvers, but I fired a Taurus auto chambered in 40 S&W and was pleasantly surprised by how well it functioned for such a reasonable price. If Rossi is being manufactured by Taurus now, I'd think they would be just fine.

Speaking of concealing 6-shot revolvers, the SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum has the same cylinder size of a 5-shot .38 / .357 cylinder, but holds 6 rounds. The recoil is supposedly comparable to .38 +P ammo and the terminal performance is supposedly comparable to the .357 magnum. I wouldn't want to try to conceal a full-sized cylinder. The added width of the 5-shots makes concealment of a revolver more challenging than a carry-shortened 1911 or other comparable auto and the full-sized cylinder would add even more width. Length and weight are fairly easily managed with a proper concealed holster arrangement, but width (especially in waistband design holsters) can be very obvious to the trained eye.

nova

imported post

I won't buy a Rossi or Taurus revolver simply because of all the reports I've read of people having the cylinder lock up. I don't want that to happen on a gun I depend on with my life. I conceal my 4" Security Six .357 and S&W 64 .38spl, also a 4" gun, with no problem.

The Fiercest Beard

imported post

no gun is free of manufacturing defects... any gun you want to stake your life on had better be looked over and used enough to trust it... shoot... im not about to walk into a gun store, buy a gun, load it, and assume its good to go...

Bersa is a INEXPENSIVE firearm company, the .380 thunder at my local range has something in the range of 5k rounds through it, and i was the first person to break it, lol... it was a 5 cent e-clip... 5 mins later the armorer had me back on the range...

most people are brand snobs... colt, S&W, etc...

Hundai is a good example... its not a chevy, ford, lincolin, or caddy... but its a car, it drives you from place to place in relative comfort, is priced thousands less than any other car manuf., and it carries a damn near lifetime warrenty... just like taurus, rossi, EEA etc... so if you do have problems... send it back and get it fixed...

personaly, if any company is willing to warrenty their product for the lifetime of said product... i am willing to try it out...

taurus has a forum, there is a rossi section in that forum... most of the posts are from very satisfied ROSSI owners... i think the most common thing i read there was that most the owners were surprised to get a great value gun for such little moneys...

to me, if a gun goes bang, its doing its job, the rest is in the operator...

clean your guns, get them looked over by a smith on a regular basis... just like you get your oil changed and your tires rotated...

there is a reason why my cars run for 200k+ when most people are lucky to get 100k... its called preventitive maitanince... find the part before it breaks and fails...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The Fiercest Beard wrote:
no gun is free of manufacturing defects
And your point is.......?

Please add at least your state location to your profile and welcome aboard.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The Fiercest Beard wrote:
sorry, im new... im from South Dakota, land of the OC
No apology in order - glad to have you here - not many from S.D. so your perspective will be appreciated.

Your location helps us sometimes in replying and moderators like to know too.

Yata hey

Loneviking

imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
That is a NICE gun. I also carry a S&W 686 in the 7 shot version and carry it under an large untucked shirt in a high rise holster. I was wearing it all day long on a family outing and was talking to my brother about concealed carry. He is from Maryland and does not have the same liberties as us Virginians. He asked me: "How can you hide a gun on you...it would be too hard." He was surprised when I pulled back my shirt. The point is, you can carry a BIG gun that is hardly noticeable.
Absolutely. I was visiting my favorite pawn shop and talking about a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel with a new guy at the counter that wasn't too familiar with firearms--and especially revolvers. I'm wearing a flannel shirt with a 'concealed carry' vest, and a Colt Peacekeeper (v-frame) 6" .357 in a Bianchi X-15. This guy asks me 'how would youconceal a gun this big?'. I smiled and said 'I've got a big Colt with a 6" barrel on me right now'. You could see his disbelief, until I pulled the vest back a little and he could see the Colt. He just couldn't believe that I was carrying a gun that big that couldn't be seen!

Don Barnett

imported post

Be careful when you carry a revolver with a 6" barrel, especially for self defense. Practice drawing it out of the holster before you really need to do it; it is like drawing a sword...there is a lot of gun to pull out and it takes a while before it is fullycleared of the leather. I know, I have aRuger GP-100 with a 6" barrel and thought about carrying it, until I practiced clearing it from the holster.