• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 questions

TheRock

imported post

I am relocating from Ohio and have two questions:

1. How long does it take to get a Virginia concealed carry license?

2. Any good shooting ranges aroung the Kingstowne area of Alexandria?

Thanks

mkl

imported post

Took me just over 45 days in Arlington county. They legally have 45 days once you submit the paperwork.

I shoot at Gilbert's small arms http://www.gilbertrange.com/
You have to be a member to shoot there, and I believe the shortest membership they have is a month. I have the annual membership which was around 250$ or so...maybe $300. After paying that there are no range fees. If you bring your own targets and ammo you don't have any additional expense at the range. The annual membership I have gets you a discount on merchandise, and pretty much pays for itself if you buy a lot of stuff.

I believe this will be the closest to you. Other options are Blue Ridge Arsenal in chantilly, the NRA range in Fairfax....

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

throck wrote:
I am relocating from Ohio and have two questions:

1. How long does it take to get a Virginia concealed carry license?

2. Any good shooting ranges aroung the Kingstowne area of Alexandria?

Thanks
In Loudoun County about 2-3 weeks.. In Fairfax County.. up to 6 weeks.

You can get your training out of the way online at www.tinyurl.com/vachp

Gilbert's Range is closest: http://www.gilbertrange.com/

The NRA range is the best in the area.

Ed

TheRock

imported post

thanks to both of you for the quick replies, that range is only about 8 miles from where I am staying, with the traffic around here that is probably an hour drive:)

I already have an Ohio permit, do you know if they will accept that as proof of training or do I have to dig up my NRA certificate?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Don't forget the Izaak Walton League. There are several ranges around this area. I go to the Arlington-Fairfax one just above Manassas. All stations are open and covered. The handgun and rifle range is 100 yards. There is a trap and skeet section for the shogunners, archery, and a stocked fishing pond.

Waiting time for receipt of your permit varies depending upon which county you live in. I'm in Prince William County and my renewals take 20-23 days. I suspect the closer in counties take longer.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Welcome aboard, and welcome to VA. If you can document that training was required for your Ohio permit, they might accept that as proof of training, but I would not count on it.

And I'm sure you know since you found us here, that you can open carry here in VA without a permit. Virginia also honors Ohio's permit, but of course if you're permanantly relocating you'll want to get VA as a home state permit.

TheRock

imported post

I am actually going to be a part year resident here and part year in Ohio. I still own a house, which I don't plan on selling, have my car registered there, and my wife and kids are staying.

I will be in each state about 50% of the time.

mobeewan

imported post

throck wrote:
thanks to both of you for the quick replies, that range is only about 8 miles from where I am staying, with the traffic around here that is probably an hour drive:)

I already have an Ohio permit, do you know if they will accept that as proof of training or do I have to dig up my NRA certificate?

throck wrote:
I am actually going to be a part year resident here and part year in Ohio. I still own a house, which I don't plan on selling, have my car registered there, and my wife and kids are staying.

I will be in each state about 50% of the time.

If you are going to be keeping Ohio as your home state of residencyworking part time in Virginiayou should be okay with your Ohio permit. Virginia has a reciprocity agreement with Ohio.

If Virginia will be your home state then you will need a Virginia permit.

18.2-308 of the Virginia code governs concealed carry.

Section G of that code lists the requirements for demonstarting competancy. Only one of the requirements must be met. You might ask the court if they will accept your Ohio permit under 18.2-308.G.9 below.

G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence, nor shall any proof of demonstrated competence expire:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I work not very far from Kingstowne area, and am a member at Gilberts. Let me know if you want to go shooting some time. The spousal unit and I seldom need more urging than "let's go ..."

rebfan

imported post

It only took PW County 18 daysor maybe it was 17 days, I can't recall the exact time frame,in any event itseemed to take forever. Blue Ridge in Chantilly and the NRA range in Fairfax are two local places to go shoot.

NTROG8R

imported post

rebfan wrote:
It only took PW County 18 daysor maybe it was 17 days, I can't recall the exact time frame,in any event itseemed to take forever. Blue Ridge in Chantilly and the NRA range in Fairfax are two local places to go shoot.
PW was great, I had mine with in just about 2 weeks.

rebfan

imported post

NTROG8R wrote:
rebfan wrote:
PW was great, I had mine with in just about 2 weeks.
Yes they were. They even called to clarify an answer, and thensaid I could come and get it, or they would mail it to me.

soloban

imported post

Alexandria took just a tad over 45 days.

+1 on Gilbert's Small Arms. That's where I usually shoot, it's not the newest and fanciest range but its reasonable price wise.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mobeewan wrote:

What law makes this a requirement? I have read no law that indicates that a Virginia resident is under any obligation to obtain a Virginia CHP to carry concealed in this state provided that the resident has a "conceal carry" permit from a reciprocal or recognizedstate.

mobeewan

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
mobeewan wrote:

What law makes this a requirement? I have read no law that indicates that a Virginia resident is under any obligation to obtain a Virginia CHP to carry concealed in this state provided that the resident has a "conceal carry" permit from a reciprocal or recognizedstate.
Some states do not allow residents to carry concealed using permits issued from other states. I thought Virginia was one of them but I cannot find anything and may be wrong. I will look some more after I come home from work tonight.

TFred

imported post

mobeewan wrote:

Some states do not allow residents to carry concealed using permits issued from other states. I thought Virginia was one of them but I cannot find anything and may be wrong. I will look some more after I come home from work tonight.
This site:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

lets you build a map of acceptance using the CCW permits that you currently hold. The only small glitch is that some states do not accept "non-resident" permits from other states. Virginia is not one of those.

Virginia does accept the CCW permits from several other states, including Ohio.

I will not be getting a Virginia CHP until the state legislature closes the door on my local anti-gun newspaper publishing the names and streets of residence of new permit-holders each month.

I'm not really interested in playing the "home invasion" game.

TFred