• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabela's OC problem

alphadeity

imported post

So I went to Cabela's in Hammond to purchase another handgun and encountered a rude lady at the front door handing out that free hat card that I get every time I enterthe store. Here is how it went down.

"Sir, you need to check in your gun" (Said it very rudely)

"No thank you, I'm not going to upholster my weapon" (I said this thinking she knew that I was allowed to OC in the store).

I keep walking and she chased me down.

"You need to come with me" (wave me over to the front door)

I walked over to her.

"Do you have a permit to carry?"

"No, but I have a license to carry a handgun."

"You have to CC your weapon."

"No I don't. I come here all the time and it's not against the store's policy. The state of Indiana authorized me to be able to carry a gun no matter how I carry."

She points to the sign posted on the front door.

"Yeah, I can read. Where does it say I have to check in my gun? I'm not getting it serviced or anything. I am keeping it on myself for my own protection."

"Well I need to see your permit and check in your weapon."

"You're not touching my gun."

"I need to see your permit."

"You mean my license? Let me see your badge."

At this point I just showed her my license so I can look at the gun I want to get and she was getting loud and making a fuss.

"Well I just need to check."

"No you don't"

I walked away pretty annoyed. I looked at the gun I plan on getting and just left the store because I will still annoyed for being harassed

I ended up calling the store and I talked to one of the managers named Trevor. I told him the whole story. He apologized profusely saying that I was absolutely correct and that he will have a talk with this particular individual about policy. I told him that's all I wanted him to do. He asked if I was ever going to come back. I told him after talking to you I'd love to come back (and OC of course). He said thank you and we hung up.

I have never had a problem there before and never treated by anyone like that . She was loud and causing a scene. I was very embarrassed.

squarepeg

imported post

Thats too bad that you ran into a rogue employee. I'm sure the manager will help her understand the policies.

Skippy

imported post

I find it impossible to believe that there are any employees left that are unaware of either Cabela's policy or Indiana's stance on open carrying (especially in the firearms department). Honestly, this crap with Cabela's has been going on for at least 18 months now.

alphadeity

imported post

It happened Sunday 10/12around 2pm. I did not get her name as she had covered it up with her orange vest. I was not going to ask either. She was a short middle aged lady with long brownish hair.

Like I said, I there ALL the time. Like 4 days a week and have never had a problem. I know what she looks like so I think I'll go there again and get her name and we can plan an outing when she is working. =D

Glockster714

imported post

alphadeity wrote:
So I went to Cabela's in Hammond to purchase another handgun and encountered a rude lady at the front door handing out that free hat card that I get every time I enterthe store. Here is how it went down.

"Sir, you need to check in your gun" (Said it very rudely)

"No thank you, I'm not going to upholster my weapon" (I said this thinking she knew that I was allowed to OC in the store).

I keep walking and she chased me down.

"You need to come with me" (wave me over to the front door)

I walked over to her.

"Do you have a permit to carry?"

"No, but I have a license to carry a handgun."

"You have to CC your weapon."

"No I don't. I come here all the time and it's not against the store's policy. The state of Indiana authorized me to be able to carry a gun no matter how I carry."

She points to the sign posted on the front door.

"Yeah, I can read. Where does it say I have to check in my gun? I'm not getting it serviced or anything. I am keeping it on myself for my own protection."

"Well I need to see your permit and check in your weapon."

"You're not touching my gun."

"I need to see your permit."

"You mean my license? Let me see your badge."

At this point I just showed her my license so I can look at the gun I want to get and she was getting loud and making a fuss.

"Well I just need to check."

"No you don't"

I walked away pretty annoyed. I looked at the gun I plan on getting and just left the store because I will still annoyed for being harassed

I ended up calling the store and I talked to one of the managers named Trevor. I told him the whole story. He apologized profusely saying that I was absolutely correct and that he will have a talk with this particular individual about policy. I told him that's all I wanted him to do. He asked if I was ever going to come back. I told him after talking to you I'd love to come back (and OC of course). He said thank you and we hung up.

I have never had a problem there before and never treated by anyone like that . She was loud and causing a scene. I was very embarrassed.
Yeah, it's stubburn people like you who gives gun carry a bad name. Yeah it's legal, but it does freak out a few people.

Have you ever heard the phrase "win the battle but lose the war"? That is somewhat your approach. You argued with the lady, and you got your way, but in the end it is stubburn people like you that will cost us the war. What war? Keeping our gun rights. If you go about pissing off people, they will soon associate guns as a negative.

And that is not what we need. Maybe you have heard this saying. "Just because we can do a thing - does not mean we should do a thing.

I would guess that you are no older than 25. Possibly youger. If not, you seem to have the attitude of a young punk.

alphadeity

imported post

Nah. I'm not a young punk. I support the right to open carry handguns. That's why I'm here on this forum. You needed to be there to see how the situation went down. The lady's whole unprofessional attitude about the whole thing is what made me act how I did. I believe people need to be informed of the laws and rules of a store before they act on something. I was very respectful until she started yelling at me. If you disagree with what I did, how would you go about the situation? Instead of attacking me; why don't you be a little more constructive and make a respectful criticism? Do you not support open carry? If not, you're on the wrong site. Scare people? If people are afraid of a holstered gun in Cabela's they are in the wrong store. I don't want to turn this topic into a flame, so I'm only going to post once.

ps. I'm 28 years old and I am a LEO. I've been serving for 6 years. I'm all about gun rights and sticking up for them. I feel like it is my duty in life to protect others from the evil in this world. If I save one person’s live, then my life was worth living. I know criminals will get their guns no matter what and I strongly believe that when people open carry, it deters criminal activity. If I’m the first target for a gunman… then so be it. I’d rather die trying to stop a criminal rather than not being able to defend myself and having the gunman know that I can. I would want to be the first target in a situation like that. Anyway… Good day/night to you.

Glockster714

imported post

alphadeity wrote:
Nah. I'm not a young punk. I support the right to open carry handguns. That's why I'm here on this forum. You needed to be there to see how the situation went down. The lady's whole unprofessional attitude about the whole thing is what made me act how I did. I believe people need to be informed of the laws and rules of a store before they act on something. I was very respectful until she started yelling at me. If you disagree with what I did, how would you go about the situation? Instead of attacking me; why don't you be a little more constructive and make a respectful criticism? Do you not support open carry? If not, you're on the wrong site. Scare people? If people are afraid of a holstered gun in Cabela's they are in the wrong store. I don't want to turn this topic into a flame, so I'm only going to post once.

ps. I'm 28 years old and I am a LEO. I've been serving for 6 years. I'm all about gun rights and sticking up for them. I feel like it is my duty in life to protect others from the evil in this world. If I save one person’s live, then my life was worth living. I know criminals will get their guns no matter what and I strongly believe that when people open carry, it deters criminal activity. If I’m the first target for a gunman… then so be it. I’d rather die trying to stop a criminal rather than not being able to defend myself and having the gunman know that I can. I would want to be the first target in a situation like that. Anyway… Good day/night to you.
I agree with most all of what you just wrote. I am glad we can carry open in public. But when you don't really need to is what I have a problem with and I'll explain why. A big part of it is the fact that the anti-gunners are trying to take them away. It is just like pouring gas on a fire when we walk around with open carry. I would have a considerably different view if everyone in the world was cool with guns. But OC just adds to the reason that motivate the anti-gunners to push for banning guns.

I am sure you have heard the phrase "stay below the radar". That is what carrying concealed does. It does not attract attention simply because there is nothing to see.

Go ahead and carry open. It is your right... But as I can't stress enough that motivates the anti-gunners to push all the more to rid us of our rights. It simply makes those type people nervous. Me personally it does not bother me in that sense.

And alot of people laugh at seeing people do it. I have heard people talk about it and I hear things like "who does he think he is, a modern day cowboy?"

Unlike the old west, the chances of a shootout have dropped a thousand fold.

I am getting very repetitive. But just consideer this and push whatever reasons you have for OC aside for a moment. Now ask yourself, how do I look to a anti-gunner when I oc?

And remember this, the anti's have more power in many cases that we do.

Look at this. The bible was taken out of schools in the early 60's just because of one woman. She managed to do it on her own through the courts. You can't get a license plate reflecting anything for God anymore. Society ahs dreamed up all they crazy names for nasty stuff. If you don't like queers they say you are homophobic. I am not homophobic, I just can't stand queers. It is an abomination. In many businesses you are basically rewarded benefit wise if you have a same sex partner. For example Purdue University. If you shack up with a person of the opposite sex you can't get them on your insurance. If you are a fag or lesbo you can get them on your insurance.

See what I mean? These days wrong is right in the eyes of many. And it is those twisted whiners that take away our rights. And by carrying open when you don't really have to is like teasing a dog. Soon he will be meaner than ever and he will snap at you.

I would not be quite so against open carry if it was not fueling the fire that is driving our gun rights away. So, win the battle and lose the war. Can't you see where this is going? People keep it up and there will be more and more signs on buisness' prohibiting carrying inside the store at all. It could eventually provoke so many stores to post signs, that during the course of a day you may have to put on and take off your gun several times a day if you obey the signs.

It will only take one person getting nervous and approach a store manager. And I guarantee you it will take only one customer getting scared off from a store that the managers knows about and he/she will post the entrance before you can say reload.

Think about it.

bobcat

imported post

Alphadeity did the right thing. Period. It was his call. Period. Alphadeity, Thanks for posting your experience and affording the rest of us an opportunity to learn from your experiences.:cool:

Acquiescing our rights by not having meaningful discussions and/or not carrying where perfectly legal is one of the reasons we are having to fight to keep what we have. If we don't exercise our RKBA, it will be lost. That's what this forum is all about.;)

Picking the time and location (where legal)to OC is up to each individual. Each of us has a different level of 'comfort' that we operate in.

Criticizingeach other by second guessing simply isn't beneficial. Only Alphadeity was there. Thoroughly and respectfullydiscussing the details as Alphadiety presents themwith possible positive improvement and educationisbeneficial to any of us who may encounter a similar situation.

SIGguy229

imported post

Glockster714 wrote:
I agree with most all of what you just wrote. I am glad we can carry open in public. But when you don't really need to is what I have a problem with and I'll explain why. A big part of it is the fact that the anti-gunners are trying to take them away. It is just like pouring gas on a fire when we walk around with open carry. I would have a considerably different view if everyone in the world was cool with guns. But OC just adds to the reason that motivate the anti-gunners to push for banning guns.

I am sure you have heard the phrase "stay below the radar". That is what carrying concealed does. It does not attract attention simply because there is nothing to see.

So I can't exercise a right because it might offend someone? :banghead:

Go ahead and carry open. It is your right... But as I can't stress enough that motivates the anti-gunners to push all the more to rid us of our rights. It simply makes those type people nervous. Me personally it does not bother me in that sense.

Apparently, it does bother you. Do you understand you are on an OPEN CARRY forum? What you state is contrary to the principle of open carry. Your assertion OC motivates antigunners to push to rid us of our rights...hint: They want to do it anyway, OC or CC. What people need to see is responsible gun owners, versus the ones they see on TV.

And alot of people laugh at seeing people do it. I have heard people talk about it and I hear things like "who does he think he is, a modern day cowboy?"

So what have you done to educate the ignorant on your state's gun laws? Or do you nod your head and agree with them?:uhoh:

FLAG! Hyperbole...loss of 10 yards...:cry:

I am getting very repetitive. But just consideer this and push whatever reasons you have for OC aside for a moment. Now ask yourself, how do I look to a anti-gunner when I oc?

I give two poops...true-believers of the anti-gun culture will never be turned around until crime hits them at home...and they realize that police cannot protect them when someone wishes to do them (or someone they love) harm. What about those who are on the fence? A responsible person wearing a gun? Holy cow...is it possible? :what:

FLAG! Baseless assertion! Loss of another 10 yards, repeat 2nd down :cry::cry:

Look at this. The bible was taken out of schools in the early 60's just because of one woman. She managed to do it on her own through the courts. You can't get a license plate reflecting anything for God anymore. Society ahs dreamed up all they crazy names for nasty stuff. If you don't like queers they say you are homophobic. I am not homophobic, I just can't stand queers. It is an abomination. In many businesses you are basically rewarded benefit wise if you have a same sex partner. For example Purdue University. If you shack up with a person of the opposite sex you can't get them on your insurance. If you are a fag or lesbo you can get them on your insurance.

I'm at a loss here...

See what I mean? These days wrong is right in the eyes of many. And it is those twisted whiners that take away our rights. And by carrying open when you don't really have to is like teasing a dog. Soon he will be meaner than ever and he will snap at you.

And that is why I carry JHPs...;)

I would not be quite so against open carry if it was not fueling the fire that is driving our gun rights away. So, win the battle and lose the war. Can't you see where this is going? People keep it up and there will be more and more signs on buisness' prohibiting carrying inside the store at all. It could eventually provoke so many stores to post signs, that during the course of a day you may have to put on and take off your gun several times a day if you obey the signs.

It will only take one person getting nervous and approach a store manager. And I guarantee you it will take only one customer getting scared off from a store that the managers knows about and he/she will post the entrance before you can say reload.

FLAG! Strawman! Penalty--you need to post less and read more. :idea:

Think about it.

Take your own advice. Otherwise, you might find comfort at another forum...because I don't see you contributing much from this perspective. Unless OC is specifically prohibited (or allowed by statute in certain states), then it is legal. If people have a problem with that, then they can work to get the law changed....we will counter it.
:celebrate

aikidoka

imported post

Glockster714,

If you're so against open carry why spend time here? Are you looking to convert us away from carrying openly? I wonder, do you also hang out in gay forums since you can't stand them as well?

And perhaps take your own advice. When you say:

If you don't like queers they say you are homophobic. I am not homophobic, I just can't stand queers. It is an abomination. In many businesses you are basically rewarded benefit wise if you have a same sex partner. For example Purdue University. If you shack up with a person of the opposite sex you can't get them on your insurance. If you are a fag or lesbo you can get them on your insurance.

You make it difficult for other Christians to try to PERSUADE others to change a lifestyle or resist a temptation they might have. Keep in mind we all have our own temptations and we all fail at one time or another. Your rhetoric doesn't show love in a matter that definitely requires it and tossing it into this discussion brings up the question of how serious a button this is for you.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"You can't get a license plate reflecting anything for God anymore."

Out of all of this I find this most humorous. Although I live in Virginia I see current Indiana license plates with a dark blue background and white lettering that clearly says "In God We Trust". Cool beans. :)

squarepeg

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
"You can't get a license plate reflecting anything for God anymore."

Out of all of this I find this most humorous. Although I live in Virginia I see current Indiana license plates with a dark blue background and white lettering that clearly says "In God We Trust". Cool beans. :)
Even Better, An Indiana woman just got "God Can" on her plate because somone else had "God Cant". Saw it in the newspapper just a few days ago.

And I agree with the original poster.

ghengis86

imported post

Glockster714 wrote:
alphadeity wrote:

Think about it.
take a hike dude.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glockster, I believe your concerns are unfounded and based on an assumption that their are more anit-gunners than there really are. Most of the population is not. What the non-antigunners that may not be guntoters need to see is responsible LAC's carrying in public. They need to see that we are not a threat. Sooner or later, they are going to figure out that the anti-gunners are full of bull hocky and tell them where they can get off. Those folks on the fence are going to realize that they are safer with LAC's carrying amongst them, than without, as they see that violent crime is reduced. Only OC can do this, because they cannot see the guns carried by the CC crowd. (Not meant as bashing CC, but the truth is that CC does not do anything to relieve the concerns of the public when they don't know that your guns exist in the public arena)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Glockster714 wrote:
Yeah, it's stubburn people like you who gives gun carry a bad name. Yeah it's legal, but it does freak out a few people.

Have you ever heard the phrase "win the battle but lose the war"? That is somewhat your approach. You argued with the lady, and you got your way, but in the end it is stubburn people like you that will cost us the war. What war? Keeping our gun rights. If you go about pissing off people, they will soon associate guns as a negative.

And that is not what we need. Maybe you have heard this saying. "Just because we can do a thing - does not mean we should do a thing.

I would guess that you are no older than 25. Possibly youger. If not, you seem to have the attitude of a young punk.
You are so right. We should all hide our guns and slink around, avoiding looking in other peoples eyes. It should only be our right to carry defensive tools if it does not bother anybody else. After all being proactive never gained a thing and no one has ever had the need for self-defense without long term advance notice.

You take your own advise and I will heed mine, thank you sir.

BTW - I'll put my age, knowledge and experience heads up against yours without qualification. Do you like my attitude better?

Yata hey

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glockster714 wrote:
[If you don't like queers they say you are homophobic. I am not homophobic, I just can't stand queers. It is an abomination.
lol, not only are you an anti-OC troll, you're a homophobic one at that!

Go figure. :shock: