• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental meet at Target

Nivek

imported post

Ran errands all this afternoon, from Port Orchard up to Kingston and back. OC the entire time, and only one question (the ever-popular "Is that a 9mm?" ... why is that always the assumed caliber, anyway???).
Then I got to Target in Silverdale, and as I'm walking in a young gentleman makes eye contact with me, then approaches to ask my name. We trade basic info, and it turns out it's MadHatter, out for a Sunday stroll. He called himself out as not OC-ing today. "I'm covered" he says. :)
Well, anyway, not much of a story, but it was nice to run into a fellow OC-er, and it's always nice when nobody freaks out about the new MWAG in town.

On another note, blew through 500 or so rounds of .45 and .40 up at PSC today. Mostly testing out the new Sig GSR I bought on Friday. Wonderful gun, and it worked beautifully straight out of the box. Had to smile at the guy a few stalls down that was cursing at his Kimber. :lol: Ah, well. It's late and I'm rambling on, so "Good night, everyone"

Tawnos

imported post

And for being an offensive ahole? Seriously, think about the message you're sending with pictures like that. We're a community that already has to deal with a negative public perception, don't reinforce that.

compmanio365

imported post

Yeah......that joke has been played out in multiple ways and with different sayings, but yours is by far, the most offensive and unnecessary I've seen so far. Grow up. :banghead:

MadHatter66

imported post

Was good to see someone out and about... I cover up when I am out with the wife, she asked me to, and I respect that... She just doesn't want to get caught in the middle of whatever drama people might start, and that is my torch to carry not hers so I cover... What is funny about it is that my wife kept walking to the car, and then asked me who I was talking to... She said she didn't see the gun on your hip...

Was good to run into someone and put a face to a name... Hope to see more of us out and about...

Wheelgunner

imported post

In this case the spelling is a problem, as the term only has one "g".

A fagot is an obsolete term for 'pieces of wood wrapped in a bundle'. Even the contraction, "fag" is short for wood bundle. In England, it is slang for cigarette.

Actually, I would recommend the expression used by our children; as in "That's so gay." instead of fagot.

In this case, for example: "9mm, that's so gay".

The homosexuals have been able to intimidate non-homosexuals to the point that we fear our own language and that old men who carry guns at their sides fear to speak what our children say openly.

bluer1

imported post

The new Sig GSR!?!? Is that a 600cc or a 1000cc? (j/k, sport bike joke)

PolskiG

imported post

Nivek wrote:
Ran errands all this afternoon, from Port Orchard up to Kingston and back. OC the entire time, and only one question (the ever-popular "Is that a 9mm?" ... why is that always the assumed caliber, anyway???).

Cause its a very widelyused caliber around the world. Most people who are just learning or have never touch a gun know about 9mm.

Plus its the best caliber in the WORLD!!!! :)

bluer1

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
Nivek wrote:

Cause its a very widelyused caliber around the world. Most people who are just learning or have never touch a gun know about 9mm.

Plus its the best caliber in the WORLD!!!! :)
IMHO, .308 closely followed by 6.5mm is the best caliber in the world. If we're talking just for handguns, I'd have to go with 40 S&W as an all arounder. More stopping power than 9mm + it doesn't over penetrate, Lighter pistol that the .45 and cheaper ammo. Long range pistol, I'd go .454 Mag or .223 PL6. Just sayin' :cool:

jarhead1911A

imported post

Whats the big deal about language? Its a free country and as we have the right to carry he has the right to speak his mind even if it does offend someone on this board.

I see allot of things posted here than are sure to offend people yet depending on who it is coming from it never gets noticed so maybe we all need to step back and look at who scares who here.

Tawnos

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:

A fagot is an obsolete term for 'pieces of wood wrapped in a bundle'. Even the contraction, "fag" is short for wood bundle. In England, it is slang for cigarette.

Actually, I would recommend the expression used by our children; as in "That's so gay." instead of fagot.

The homosexuals have been able to intimidate non-homosexuals to the point that we fear our own language and that old men who carry guns at their sides fear to speak what our children say openly.
Has nothing to do with being intimidated or fearing to speak openly. It's a matter of growing up in a community with gay friends and people around me, knowing that they face violent threats simply due to their sexual orientation.

Jarhead, this applies to you too: the big deal about language is that words in context have meaning, sometimes violent meaning. The terms "gay" and "fag[g]ot" used to describe people comes from a back-end of violent oppression. Though you (wheelgunner) claim that it's just pieces of wood or a cigarette, you miss the implication that the people being called such are only good for burning.

Codegeek: Thank you for removing the image. Might I suggest a photoshop that says "wusses" instead? Us 9mm carriers do appreciate a good laugh ;)

gsx1138

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Wheelgunner wrote:

Has nothing to do with being intimidated or fearing to speak openly. It's a matter of growing up in a community with gay friends and people around me, knowing that they face violent threats simply due to their sexual orientation.

Jarhead, this applies to you too: the big deal about language is that words in context have meaning, sometimes violent meaning. The terms "gay" and "fag[g]ot" used to describe people comes from a back-end of violent oppression. Though you (wheelgunner) claim that it's just pieces of wood or a cigarette, you miss the implication that the people being called such are only good for burning.

Codegeek: Thank you for removing the image. Might I suggest a photoshop that says "wusses" instead? Us 9mm carriers do appreciate a good laugh ;)

As someone who hails from Wusstonia I find this term offensive.

Triple Tap

imported post

People use these terms without knowing the meanings. The other day I heard the news mention that Palins husband was part Eskimo. That is as offensive to a Native Alaskan as any other racial determination, yet not a word of it coming back to bite them for using it.

heresolong

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
People use these terms without knowing the meanings. The other day I heard the news mention that Palins husband was part Eskimo. That is as offensive to a Native Alaskan as any other racial determination, yet not a word of it coming back to bite them for using it.
In Canada and Greenland[3][/sup][4][/sup][5][/sup][6][/sup] the term Eskimo is widely held to be pejorative[3][/sup][7][/sup] and has fallen out of favor, largely supplanted by the term Inuit. However, while Inuit describes all of the Eskimo peoples in Canada and Greenland, that is not true in Alaska and Siberia. In Alaska the term Eskimo is commonly used, because it includes both Yupik and Inupiat, while Inuit is not accepted as a collective term or even specifically used for Inupiat (which technically is Inuit).
Wikipedia