• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jim and Sarah Brady, Brady Campaign Endorse Barack Obama and Joe Biden

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/jim-sarah-brady-brady-campaign/story.aspx?guid={26CB8A6B-BAC1-45C6-AFA2-9E8E7C2C4E51}&dist=hppr

Jim and Sarah Brady, Brady Campaign Endorse Barack Obama and Joe Biden

Last update: 7:45 a.m. EDT Oct. 13, 2008 WASHINGTON, Oct 13, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- WASHINGTON, Oct. 13 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Sarah and Jim Brady and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence with its network of Million Mom March Chapters endorsed Senator Barack Obama for President and Senator Joseph Biden for Vice President today, and urged Americans to vote for them.

Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign, issued the following statement on behalf of the organization and the Bradys: "Senators Barack Obama and Joseph Biden know that we make it too easy for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons in this country. They know that our weak gun laws have too many loopholes, which lead to over 30,000 deaths and 70,000 injuries from guns every year.

"Senators Obama and Biden know that we can reduce those deaths and injuries from guns by strengthening our Brady background check system, getting military-style assault weapons off our streets, and giving law enforcement more tools to stop the trafficking of illegal guns.

"Fortunately, the candidates most favored by the gun lobby were rejected by the voters during the primaries. The gun lobby has lambasted Senator John McCain for being a leader on gun violence prevention issues in the past. In 2000 and 2001, he introduced legislation, gave floor speeches, and appeared in television ads to close the gun show loophole. In 2004, he gave floor speeches supporting access to crime gun trace data, requiring gun dealer inventories, and retaining background check records. Back then, Senator McCain was a "maverick", willing to take on the gun lobby.

"But now, Senator McCain has stopped talking about these issues and, instead, has pandered to the gun lobby whose opinions he once disdained. His erratic approach to gun violence prevention leads to our concern about whether a President McCain would remember and follow the leadership shown by Senator McCain in 2000 and 2004 and take steps to help reduce gun violence.

"The difference between the two tickets is clearest with regard to assault weapons. Senator Obama made his position clear in his acceptance speech in Denver when he said "the reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than they are for those plagued by gang violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals." And Senator Biden helped get a ban on assault weapons passed in 1994 and fought for its renewal in 2004.

"Senator McCain, however, opposed the assault weapon ban in 1994 and voted against its renewal in 2004. McCain's running mate, Governor Sarah Palin, told ABC's Charles Gibson that she also opposed a ban on assault weapons, saying that they were part of her "culture".

"The Obama-Biden ticket understands that the rights of law-abiding gun owners can co-exist with the reasonable restrictions which the U.S. Supreme Court recognized as "presumptively lawful" in its recent Second Amendment decision finding a general gun ban unconstitutional. As Justice Scalia stated, there is "not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever for whatever purposes." Senator McCain once understood this concept but that "straight talk" is now silent.

"The Obama-Biden ticket will work with law enforcement, gun violence victims, and ordinary citizens who want to do more to protect themselves, their families, and their communities by making it harder for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons. "Along with Sarah and Jim, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and its dedicate network of Million Mom March Chapters strongly endorses the Obama-Biden ticket and encourages our supporters to vote for them on November 4, 2008."

To find out more about other Brady Campaign endorsements, as well as where the Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates stand on the gun issue, go to the Brady Voter Education Fund's web guide at BradyVoter.org ( http://www.bradyvoter.org). As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, works to enact and enforce sensible gun laws, regulations and public policies. The Brady Campaign is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

Visit the Brady Campaign website at http://www.bradycampaign.org. For continuing insight and comment on the gun issue, read Paul Helmke's blog at http://www.bradycampaign.org/blog/.

Contact: Peter Hamm, +1-202-898-0792, phamm@bradymail.org SOURCE Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
Code:
[url=http://www.bradycampaign.org/]http://www.bradycampaign.org[/url]
Copyright (C) 2008 PR Newswire. All rights reserved
greendot.gif

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

From conservative republican to liberal democrat. As people age and gain life experience the trnd is usually the other way around.

KansasMustang

imported post

Why doesn't it surprise me that the Brady bunch back Obama,,hmmm ?? I just wonder where they get their figures 30,000 deaths and 70,000 injuries from guns? Where? Downtown LA and Chicago? They take gang violence and figure to make there point. We should do like the Juarez Mexico police did when I was at the Sgt's Major Academy,,cordone of the gangs,,let them kill each other,,then go in and mop up.

thorvaldr

imported post

Donkey? Dukester? Cmon, I'm waiting for you to tell us we need to prove that the Brady Campaign is anti gun. Or are you tired of peeing on our shoes and telling us it's raining?

45-ACP

imported post

:what:THATS A BIG SUPRISE !!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what it's going to take for the american people to realise that gun control only helps out the BG

thorvaldr

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Donkey? Dukester? Cmon, I'm waiting for you to tell us we need to prove that the Brady Campaign is anti gun. Or are you tired of peeing on our shoes and telling us it's raining?
Well? Were are you? Tell me how pro gun Obama is.

rodbender

imported post

Wow, I must be psychic, I knew this would happen a year ago. I need to start a psychic hotline to make some megabucks. Anybody want the number?

KansasMustang

imported post

I've known about the global economic collapse for years, however I don't think that it will be cleared up by government pumpin money into it. Thing is, that it's clearing the running boards for a Global government,,watch your six boys and girls.
As for the Brady bunch backing Obama,,what's so surprising about that?

Huck

imported post

I'm curious as to why the Brady Bunch took so long to endorse the annoying one. Maybe they were waiting for nObama to authorize the Joyce Foundation to send them a "donation".

Thundar

imported post

http://www.bradycampaign.org/

[align=left]Brady Campaign Endorses Barack Obama and Joe Biden [/align]
[align=left]Sarah and Jim Brady and the Brady Campaign endorse Senator Barack Obama for President and Senator Joseph Biden for Vice President. [/align]
[align=left]Brady President Paul Helmke said "Senators Obama and Biden know that we make it too easy for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons in this country. They know that our weak gun laws have too many loopholes, which lead to over 30,000 deaths and 70,000 injuries from guns every year." [/align]
[align=left]Senators Obama and Biden know that we can reduce those deaths and injuries from guns by strengthening our Brady background check system, getting military-style assault weapons off our streets, and giving law enforcement more tools to stop the trafficking of illegal guns. [/align]
[align=left]The Obama-Biden ticket will work with law enforcement, gun violence victims, and all those who want to do more to protect themselves, their families, and their communities from gun violence. [/align]
[align=left]Yikes!! Calling The Donkey! [/align]

[align=left]Hey Donkey, it is one thing to be an Indonesian citizen pretending to be an American, but a Brady Bunch endorsement??? Why don't Obama and Biden repudiate the endorsement?? Because they are Brady Bunch Tools!!![/align]