• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Activist exposes truth about guns at school to change law

Renegade

imported post

Please read and reply - I did.

http://tinyurl.com/3oj2d8

-------------------------------------------------

Activist exposes truth about guns at school to change law
By Linda McNatt

The Virginian-Pilot
© October 13, 2008
SUFFOLK

Last week, charges against a high school senior who took a gun onto school property in August were dismissed.

Pamela Pouchot could have told you it was going to happen.

As soon as she learned about the case, she tracked down Michael A. Colon Jr. and his family to deliver a message. She told them that, no matter what the police might say, it's not necessarily illegal to have a gun on school property. Then she went about trying to talk to the Suffolk commonwealth's attorney.

"I'm good at research," Pouchot said, sitting in her Yorktown home. "I found the kid."
Pouchot doesn't like guns. She and several acquaintances formed The Virginia Committee for Gun-Free Schools in the late 1990s. They went to the General Assembly to lobby for the cause and got so little attention, she said, that she gave up - except for a few times.

It's not that she wants to see students who do such a thing go free, Pouchot said. She wants to bring attention to the fact that having a gun on school property isn't always against Virginia law.

"I want the community to get mad," she said.

She did the same thing in 2006 for a student at Lake Taylor High School in Norfolk. Both students were charged with violating section 18.2-308.1 of the Code of Virginia, though the law allows firearms in Virginia schools if the weapons are in a vehicle in a "closed container," including a locked trunk. The charge was dropped in that case as well.

"The judge felt that the case fit one of the noted exceptions," Suffolk prosecutor Scott Alleman said of Colon's case. "It was an unloaded handgun, in a vehicle, in a closed container. The statute says what it says, and we respect the judge's decision."

Pouchot got interested in the issue when she and a friend attended a "big game show" at a school in the small York County community of Grafton. The two women were there in protest. They didn't like the great tusks, huge horns and massive pelts displayed at the show, and they didn't like the fact that hunting is tied to guns. It has no place in a school, she said.

She said Colon told her that his weapon - a .45-caliber handgun - was in a bag in the trunk of a friend's car.

Suffolk police charged him, and he was suspended from Lakeland High School with a recommendation for expulsion, according to city spokeswoman Debbie George.
Colon was expelled, his mother, Eileen Thomson, said Tuesday. His plans to join the Navy have been put on hold because the Navy requires a high school diploma and won't accept a GED, she said.

"Chewing gum isn't illegal, but if the School Board makes it so, you can get expelled for chewing gum in school," Pouchot said.
Like many school systems, Suffolk's takes a hard line in such cases. Its policy calls for any student who brings a weapon onto school property to be expelled for at least one year.

Pouchot still gives out her Virginia Committee for Gun-Free Schools business card, but she's written "retired" across the top. She doesn't lobby legislators anymore, but she can't stay away from the issue altogether.

"As adults, we have an obligation to protect children," she said. "But when I see something like the Suffolk situation, I like to let the students know what their rights are."

That situation, she said, could have been a tragedy. She blames the hunters of Virginia for the lawmakers' failure to change things. She's talked with parents, she said, who see no problem with youngsters taking guns to school, for example, if they're planning to go hunting as soon as they get out.

Linda McNatt, (757) 222-5561, linda.mcnatt@pilotonline.com

darthmord

imported post

Regardless of her leanings with regards to firearms, you have to respect the fact that she was fair. She's right in that just having a firearm on school property doesn't automatically make it a violation of law.

What really blows the mind is the school board could ban chewing gum and then expel someone for having it.

That rule is effectively "You will do as I say or else I'll expel you".

Isn't the operative phrase when it comes to conditioning 'Start'em young'?

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's why we carry guns, it's for the children. If it could save just one child isn't it worth it. ;)

That's the line they always use when they want restriction's.

KBCraig

imported post

darthmord wrote:
What really blows the mind is the school board could ban chewing gum and then expel someone for having it.
When my oldest son was in the 8th grade, we got a call that he had been in a fight. It wasn't his fault, they said, he didn't start it, but we needed to come pick him up and he'd be waiting in the principal's office.

That lying piece of !@#$# told us that, even though she knew that at that very moment he was being handcuffed and placed in a police car and transported to juvenile detention.

So when it all sorted out, it turned out that a group of bullies had jumped a smaller kid and were stomping the crap out of him. Our son (who was big enough to whip them all) threw himself on top of the victim to shield him, and was taking the brunt of the blows. But that was "fighting" by their zero tolerance policies. The people processing the case at Juvie were just as disgusted as we were. They told us repeatedly that the school PD was out of control when it came to charging students with criminal offenses, and that the week before they'd arrested a student for --get this-- chewing gum in class!

It took one more year and one more instance of them trying to charge him for self defense, before we pulled him out and home-schooled him through high school. He's now doing very well in the Army, and just re-enlisted.

Neplusultra

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
It took one more year and one more instance of them trying to charge him for self defense, before we pulled him out and home-schooled him through high school. He's now doing very well in the Army, and just re-enlisted.
I think I would have just sued the bastards. I won't argue against your decision to HS but I oftem feel for all those other kids being conditioned by the ever so PC public school system. I wonder if it isn't better to just stay and fight!

Bullbuster

imported post

While I ain't the youngest one here at age 30. I'm sure many of ya'll remember the days when it was cool to roll into the school parking lot with the rifle or shotgun in the back window just waiting for school to get out so you could go hunting. It was no big deal at all to anyone. I remember as far back as the 4th grade when I got my first bow for Christmas taking it into school for show and tell. Having a 35# recurve and a half dozen arrows in the class room was no big deal and the other kids thought it was cool.

Its sad to see how bad things have gotten these days.

Neplusultra

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
While I ain't the youngest one here at age 30. I'm sure many of ya'll remember the days when it was cool to roll into the school parking lot with the rifle or shotgun in the back window just waiting for school to get out so you could go hunting. It was no big deal at all to anyone. I remember as far back as the 4th grade when I got my first bow for Christmas taking it into school for show and tell. Having a 35# recurve and a half dozen arrows in the class room was no big deal and the other kids thought it was cool.

You're so right Ballbuster, maybe parents should insist that their kids be allowed to do such show and tells as was once done.... After all why not??!! Because it ain't PC? Well it certainly should be PC.

sitedzn

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:

I remember doing a book report on John Mosby while in middle school (8th grade I think) and having my dad bring in his NSSA 58cal musket into the class for part of the show. Assist. Principal just looked at it, saw it was unloaded and said no problem!

circa 1988. Oh how I remember the times!:D