Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Come to Soccer Mom Hearing: Tuesday, 14 OCT 08, at 2 PM!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Folks - if you are anywhere near Lebanon, PA, try to attend this hearing and show support - the courthouse will be checking guns, and supporters will be rallying outside the courthouse before and after the hearing.

On October 14 at 2PM Meleanie (“Soccer Mom”) Hain’s appeal of her concealed carry license revocation will be heard by the Chief Judge of Lebanon County in courtroom 1, Lebanon County Courthouse, PA. The address is 400 South Eighth Street Lebanon, PA.
    --

http://www.ldnews.com/news/ci_10709883

Sheriff ready for crowd
    By JOHN LATIMER
    Staff Writer
    Lebanon Daily News

Two Lebanon County officials say they are prepared for gun-rights advocates — and their guns — expected to converge on the municipal building tomorrow to show their support for Meleanie Hain.
    Hain, who drew national attention last month when she openly wore her firearm to her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer game, is appealing the revocation of her permit to carry a concealed weapon.
    Sheriff Mike DeLeo and county administrator Jamie Wolgemuth said that, as of Friday, they had not been officially contacted by anyone, but they are expecting a gathering of Hain supporters.
    It was DeLeo who revoked Hain’s license-to-carry permit last month. Hain’s appeal will be heard tomorrow before President Judge Robert J. Eby.
    Open-carry advocates led by Greg Rotz have been following the case closely and organizing a show of support on Internet chat rooms, most notably one run by the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association.
    Wolgemuth said he was aware of a similar case involving Rotz in Franklin County that did draw a crowd of supporters. Steps are being taken in anticipation of a significant turnout tomorrow, which likely would involve temporarily confiscating many handguns because they are not allowed in a courtroom under state law, he said.
    “I’ve spoken with the sheriff about the hearing on Tuesday, and we are prepared to accommodate that show of support,” Wolgemuth said. “It is not a concern. ... We are going to provide
    tags and a means of storage in a locker we have downstairs already.”
    Although DeLeo said he understood that the open-carry advocates would be making a statement by wearing their firearms to the courthouse, he suggested they leave their weapons in their cars.
    JohnLatimer@LDNews.com

--

http://www.ldnews.com/news/ci_10709880

Gun-toting mom set for showdown
    By JOHN LATIMER
    Staff Writer
    Lebanon Daily News
    Gun-rights advocates and other supporters of Meleanie Hain are expected to fill a Lebanon County courtroom tomorrow when her case is heard by President Judge Robert J. Eby.
    Hain created a sensation that received national attention last month when she openly wore a holstered gun during her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer game at Lebanon’s Optimist Park.
    Parents complained to officials of the soccer program and eventually to county Sheriff Mike DeLeo, who took action by revoking Hain’s permit to carry a concealed firearm.
    Hain appealed DeLeo’s decision on the grounds that the state does not have a law prohibiting the carrying of a licensed weapon openly, prompting tomorrow’s 2:30 p.m. hearing in Courtroom 1 of the Lebanon municipal building.
    Organizing tomorrow’s show of support for Hain is Greg Rotz, a 37-year-old shipping clerk from Chambersburg who faced similar charges after he wore a sidearm to his voting precinct on Election Day last November.
    A constable initially tried to prevent Rotz from voting, but backed off after learning that no law prohibits wearing a weapon openly to the polls, according to Rotz.
    Several days later, however, Rotz said he received a letter from the Franklin County sheriff demanding that he turn over his handgun for “apparent illegal activities.”
    Rotz appealed the action and was vindicated in January when a Franklin County judge threw out the case to the delight of dozens of open-carry advocates who attended the hearing.

Since then, Rotz has become an open-carry advocate working with Rich Banks, founder of paopencarry.org, and members of the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association.
    “I received a tremendous amount of support when I was on the other end,” Rotz said. “About 20 to 25 members came to my hearing. But there were actually about 70 people in the courtroom, some from local police agencies and others who were local citizens.”
    Word of Hain’s hearing and a call-out for support has been a topic on the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association chat-room site (http://www.pafoa.org) that is monitored by Rotz.
    Rotz said he knows Hain through her comments on the Web site and by meeting her once at a shooting event.
    Rotz said he was grateful for the support he received at his hearing and knows it will be important for Hain.
    So far, six people from outside Lebanon County have confirmed they will attend the hearing tomorrow and another 10 hope to come, according to Rotz. He also expects several dozen local gun-rights advocates to turn out tomorrow. The entire group will meet at a local restaurant to organize and, after the hearing, are planning an outing at a shooting range, he said.
    Hain doesn’t know what kind of turnout to expect tomorrow because it is a working day for most people. She said she is grateful for the many communications from supporters she’s already received, which help balance out the negative comments she’s read.
    Hain spent yesterday with about two dozen supporters who held a concealed-carry course near Allentown, the proceeds of which went to her defense fund.
    “That benefit was very uplifting,” she said. “It was really just what I needed so close to the hearing — to be around supporters and to keep my mind off of things.”
    Hain’s supporters do not plan to be confrontational tomorrow, Rotz said, but most will be carrying their weapons by their side when they enter the municipal building. They all understand, however, that they will have to turn in their firearms at the door, because courtrooms are one of the few places under state law where the carrying a firearm is specifically prohibited.
    Rotz said he expects that DeLeo’s revocation of Hain’s permit will be overturned by Eby. If it is not, Hain will be able to appeal the decision to the state Superior Court — which, in the long run, could be beneficial to the open-carry movement.
    “The Court of Common Pleas is the lowest court, and a ruling there does not set a precedent,” Rotz said. “If Meleanie would lose and it was elevated to a higher court where she would win, then we would have a binding precedent to help in the future. Unfortunately, the situations like mine and Meleanie’s are so ridiculous that their chance of getting to a higher court are very, very low.”
    JohnLatimer@ldnews.com

Post imported post

I wonder if they will be checking serial numbers?

Perhaps a small strip of electrical tape is in order?

Post imported post

I just want to wish Meleanie good luck. If I didn't have to work tonight and tomorrow night, I think I would have driven up from Tennessee for this.

Post imported post

Looks like atleat 12 people, always room for more!!!!!!

Post imported post

Well, I wish I was closer than Alabama so I could drive up there. I'll be praying for all of you. Good luck!

Post imported post

Lot of people here at the hearing. I just came home from work and stopped by the courthouse. Shame it is not live on TV.

Peter

Post imported post

Eagerly awaiting updates...stand tall, you guys !

Post imported post

CaptainFinn wrote:
    Eagerly awaiting updates...stand tall, you guys !
    Please update your profile with city/state

Post imported post

Pa. Soccer Mom Gets Concealed Gun Permit Back
    Judge Questions Whether Woman Used Good Judgment

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pag...p;pageId=3.2.1

Post imported post

3 cheers for her:celebrate

Post imported post

Judge Eby needs to keep his opinion to himself. it has ZERO bearing on the case. She did nothing wrong.

Glad she got her concealed Lic. back.

Post imported post

Aw c'mon, you know that judges just can't help interjecting their unwarranted personal opinions.

At least he ruled according to law, which is what we wanted. WAY TO GO MELANIE!!!

Post imported post

Eat some Crow DeLeo!

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

Yay, Meleanie! Good verdict (sans unwarranted personal comments).

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Banned

Post imported post

nice work.

She didn't get arrested 3 hours later did she?

Post imported post

you go girl. next stop is back to court to sue the tails off the sheriff and all those that started that that bs with you and your child and husband :celebrate

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I was there, and as the judge was reading his oppinion, it seemed that he was going to rule against her, you know, the old "you can't yell FIRE in a crowded theater" routine. But in the end, he said he had to rule on the side of the "LAW". He told her that next time, he would like her to cover-up, and that a kid's soccer game is "no place for fear". What a dip-****!!

Meleanie, if you are reading this....CONGRATS!!!!(again)

Post imported post

Yes, we had a GREAT turn-out!!!!!

No #'s recorded, we had to clear our weapons though, the deputy was kinda startled I had a BUG concealed!!!!

First time I had to show my LTCF!!

edit: BTW this is a 2for 2 day in PA!!!!!!!!!

We won in Hazel Twsp. today, also!!!!!!!!!!

Post imported post

jopencarry wrote:
    nice work.

She didn't get arrested 3 hours later did she?
    Danbus should kick your butt. :P

Post imported post

Congrats from Kentucky!:celebrate

Activist Member

Post imported post

Post imported post

http://www.ldnews.com/news/ci_10719166

BREAKING NEWS: Gun-toting mom gets permit back

By JOHN LATIMER
    and
    ANDREA JOHNSON
    Staff Writers
    Lebanon Daily News

A Lebanon woman who lost her right to carry a concealed handgun after wearing it openly to a youth soccer game last month has had her license-to-carry returned by a Lebanon County judge.
    Meleanie Hain lost her license when parents complained to county Sheriff Mike DeLeo after seeing her wear the holstered firearm to her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer game at Optimist Park in Lebanon.
    A hearing was held this afternoon after Hain appealed DeLeo’s action.
    Before a courtroom filled with about 20 open-carry supporters, Judge Robert J. Eby told Hain that she did not violate the law but he questioned the mother of three’s common sense in not concealing the Glock 26 in the first place.
    “Society is replacing right versus wrong with legal versus illegal,” said Eby. “They are not the same thing. They never were and it is my hope they never will be. There are times when someone’s conduct may be perfectly legal, but it is still wrong.”
    After the ruling, Hain said Eby was entitled to his opinion but that it would not change her practice of openly carrying her loaded gun where ever she goes, including her kids soccer games.
    “He referenced the first amendment and he absolutely has the right to do that. But it’s only his opinion” she said.
    Greg Rotz, 37, of Chambersburg who had organized today’s show of support for Hain, wasn’t surprised by the judge’s ruling.
    “He’s entitled
    to his personal opinion, but he knows he needs to abide by the law,” Rotz said. “It seemed like the sheriff didn’t want to commit to facts that justified his actions.” Rotz faced similar charges after he wore a sidearm to his voting precinct on Election Day last November. A constable initially tried to prevent Rotz from voting, but back off after learning that no law prohibits wearing a weapon open to the polls, according to Rotz.
    Erik Paul, a Hain’s supporter from North Lebanon Township said he agreed with the way way Eby handled the case.
    “Eby could not have put it better. I wouldn’t have carried it openly to a kid’s soccer game, but the law doesn’t differentiate where you can and can’t carry, it just says the rights of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves (and the state) shall not be questioned.”
    “I like when he said ‘we are not enemies,’” he said.
    For more coverage, see Wednesday’s edition of the Lebanon Daily News.

Post imported post

More links:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...yXWtQD93QIG580

http://www.timesleader.com/news/ap?articleID=925389

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pag...p;pageId=3.2.1

http://www.eveningsun.com/ci_10716097

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...ermit_bac.html

Soccer mom gets concealed-weapon permit back
    by The Patriot-News and The Associated Press
    Tuesday October 14, 2008, 4:59 PM
    CHRIS KNIGHT, Of The Patriot-NewsGun owner Meleanie Hain speaks to the media after her hearing to recover her concealed-weapon permit at the Lebanon County Courthouse in Lebanon today.
    It was legal for Meleanie Hain to openly carry a gun to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game, but that doesn't mean it was right, Lebanon County Judge Robert Eby said today.

Eby said Hain can get her concealed-weapon permit back, but not before lecturing her about manners. "I have a fear ... manners are being replaced by insensitivity," he said. "Right versus wrong is not the same as legal versus illegal."

Hain testified that she did not intend to intimidate anyone, but felt she had to carry the gun openly because warm-weather clothing made it difficult to hide a firearm. She said her husband's line of work, which was not disclosed, made her a "greater target" than the average person.

Hain lost the permit after other parents complained last month that she was openly carrying a loaded and holstered handgun at her daughter's soccer game.

A youth soccer coach said he approached Hain at the Sept. 11 game and asked her to move to the other side of the field, away from the sideline where the children were standing.

Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo said he pulled Hain's license after fielding the parents' complaints. George Christianson, DeLeo's lawyer, said the decision would not be appealed.

Hain said she was satisfied with the result and expected to return to the sidelines -- with her gun -- at a youth soccer game in the future.

"It's my preference," she said.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

Mike, I got a real kick out of some of the comments that came after the story you posted above. It seems like everyone's rights are sacred until the speaker disagrees with the way they're exercised.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Thank you all again for your support. It means so much I simply can't put it into words. I hope I have not been disappointing in the way I have represented fellow firearms owners as I know I have been very much in the public eye lately as a firearms owner myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast