• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Come to Soccer Mom Hearing: Tuesday, 14 OCT 08, at 2 PM!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.ldnews.com/news/ci_10719166

BREAKING NEWS: Gun-toting mom gets permit back

By JOHN LATIMER
and
ANDREA JOHNSON
Staff Writers
Lebanon Daily News

A Lebanon woman who lost her right to carry a concealed handgun after wearing it openly to a youth soccer game last month has had her license-to-carry returned by a Lebanon County judge.
Meleanie Hain lost her license when parents complained to county Sheriff Mike DeLeo after seeing her wear the holstered firearm to her 5-year-old daughter’s soccer game at Optimist Park in Lebanon.
A hearing was held this afternoon after Hain appealed DeLeo’s action.
Before a courtroom filled with about 20 open-carry supporters, Judge Robert J. Eby told Hain that she did not violate the law but he questioned the mother of three’s common sense in not concealing the Glock 26 in the first place.
“Society is replacing right versus wrong with legal versus illegal,” said Eby. “They are not the same thing. They never were and it is my hope they never will be. There are times when someone’s conduct may be perfectly legal, but it is still wrong.”
After the ruling, Hain said Eby was entitled to his opinion but that it would not change her practice of openly carrying her loaded gun where ever she goes, including her kids soccer games.
“He referenced the first amendment and he absolutely has the right to do that. But it’s only his opinion” she said.
Greg Rotz, 37, of Chambersburg who had organized today’s show of support for Hain, wasn’t surprised by the judge’s ruling.
“He’s entitled
to his personal opinion, but he knows he needs to abide by the law,” Rotz said. “It seemed like the sheriff didn’t want to commit to facts that justified his actions.” Rotz faced similar charges after he wore a sidearm to his voting precinct on Election Day last November. A constable initially tried to prevent Rotz from voting, but back off after learning that no law prohibits wearing a weapon open to the polls, according to Rotz.
Erik Paul, a Hain’s supporter from North Lebanon Township said he agreed with the way way Eby handled the case.
“Eby could not have put it better. I wouldn’t have carried it openly to a kid’s soccer game, but the law doesn’t differentiate where you can and can’t carry, it just says the rights of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves (and the state) shall not be questioned.”
“I like when he said ‘we are not enemies,’” he said.
For more coverage, see Wednesday’s edition of the Lebanon Daily News.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

More links:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i_p8pCxi6envpnbzKWIKtxQyXWtQD93QIG580

http://www.timesleader.com/news/ap?articleID=925389

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7643829&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

http://www.eveningsun.com/ci_10716097

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/10/soccer_mom_gets_gun_permit_bac.html

Soccer mom gets concealed-weapon permit back
by The Patriot-News and The Associated Press
Tuesday October 14, 2008, 4:59 PM
large_mhain1.jpg
CHRIS KNIGHT, Of The Patriot-NewsGun owner Meleanie Hain speaks to the media after her hearing to recover her concealed-weapon permit at the Lebanon County Courthouse in Lebanon today.
It was legal for Meleanie Hain to openly carry a gun to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game, but that doesn't mean it was right, Lebanon County Judge Robert Eby said today.

Eby said Hain can get her concealed-weapon permit back, but not before lecturing her about manners. "I have a fear ... manners are being replaced by insensitivity," he said. "Right versus wrong is not the same as legal versus illegal."

Hain testified that she did not intend to intimidate anyone, but felt she had to carry the gun openly because warm-weather clothing made it difficult to hide a firearm. She said her husband's line of work, which was not disclosed, made her a "greater target" than the average person.

Hain lost the permit after other parents complained last month that she was openly carrying a loaded and holstered handgun at her daughter's soccer game.

A youth soccer coach said he approached Hain at the Sept. 11 game and asked her to move to the other side of the field, away from the sideline where the children were standing.

Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo said he pulled Hain's license after fielding the parents' complaints. George Christianson, DeLeo's lawyer, said the decision would not be appealed.

Hain said she was satisfied with the result and expected to return to the sidelines -- with her gun -- at a youth soccer game in the future.

"It's my preference," she said.

shefearsnothing

imported post

Thank you all again for your support. It means so much I simply can't put it into words. I hope I have not been disappointing in the way I have represented fellow firearms owners as I know I have been very much in the public eye lately as a firearms owner myself. :cool:

rubykam

imported post

It was a good verdit. Open carry is a good thing. But I have a question. Is there any law against open carrying a rifle or shotgun?

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

shefearsnothing wrote:
Thank you all again for your support. It means so much I simply can't put it into words. I hope I have not been disappointing in the way I have represented fellow firearms owners as I know I have been very much in the public eye lately as a firearms owner myself. :cool:
In the immortal words of my grandpappy (mother's side)' "Ya' did good"! Thanks for having the courage to stand up and fight it.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I'm so glad I ended up being able to make this. It was a pleasure to see the decision go the way we knew it would, in no small part to all the good work put in by folks as well as all the support from everyone.

Props to:

Meleanie.What else to say, she did a GREAT job today. Both in testimony and with the reporters.
She was very natural on the stand and to be honest I think she really threw the judge a curve ball just by her honesty, confidence and demeanor in general.

Bob Magee. Meleanie's attorney. (and mine ;)) Great job. He led the sheriff into a trap he could not get out of. The sheriff insisted that the revocation was NOT because of open carry... but then, after much pressure and incremental questioning (which he really did poorly at answering) it became clear that OC was the issue. When asked about where the line was in regards to someone being a "danger", he could not define such. But, as others pointed out, one of his arguments was not how Meleanie acted, but how other people *reacted*. Bob took that and ran with it. Asking Sheriff DeLeo that if the circumstances were all the same except that the game was an ADULT soccer game would he revoke. He answered "yes". This did two things, it negated his "children in the vicinity" argument and clarified that basically, if someone writes him a letter complaining about you, he will revoke. It became very clear that he was sticking to a script and could not deal with the questions that led him away from the script of "guns near kids = bad" and people get violent at soccer games. Really, that was the two arguments he had.

Greg Rotz. (gnbrotz) As with any project Greg takes on it gets done, done well and with class. Greg did a phenomenal job being point man on this. He took care of all media contacts and everything. It was a bonus that he also had the same experience as Meleanie, so that was a talking point that nearly all the media brought up. Greg did all this without anyone asking. I was in the hospital/etc when this went down and Greg simply went to work.
Greg did great on the interviews today too. It was actually nice to stand back just watch someone else deal with the camera in the face :) Great job Greg, you "activist", you ;)

All the PAOFA, OCDO menbers, and others, that showed support
. (in so many ways)
The biggest credit I think goes to everyone here, and elsewhere, that stood behind Meleanie. Well wishes, defending and even arguing on her behalf with friends, family, coworkers and in the media and internet discussions. The $$ donations to support the attorneys fees and of course everyone who came out today to show support in person. In the process showing the media and anyone watching that the "gun toters" are not some knuckle dragging subculture of some era past. But normal, respectable people that simply believe in their right to self defense and are obviously "the good guys". And that's the most important part of this and any other legal challenge our brethren may face. Not just that the wrong is righted, but that we set a positive image for the cause of gun owners and carriers. And everyone there today did just that. It was an honor to stand shoulder to shoulder once again with all of you. Thank you!

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

shefearsnothing wrote:
I can only hope that I represent as well as you when OC comes to Texas. I'm proud to be on your side. Nicely done.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Ms. Hain did great on TV! Calm, cool, shy, with good easy going answers, forgiviving of those who editorialize against her.

Everybody can take a few cues from her today!

Armed

imported post

shefearsnothing wrote:
Great job! You made us proud!! :) :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

CONGRATULATIONS !

You all are batting 1000 and pitching a no hitter.

Wish that I could be there to help you celebrate and maybe attend a soccer game.

Life is good.

Yata hey

fingers80002

imported post

Mike wrote:
Ms. Hain did great on TV! Calm, cool, shy, with good easy going answers, forgiviving of those who editorialize against her.

Everybody can take a few cues from her today!

The videos don't do her justice.

She was FANTASTIC Today!!!!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Melanie, Greg, Pa. Patriot, and other OCDO members who participated, I am proud to be a member of the OC movement with all of you. Thank you for your continued efforts in support of our 2A and OC rights.

Glock Fan

imported post

Judge Eby needs to have a little conversation with sheriff DeLeo about abuse of power and properly enforcing the law.

Glad that Ms. Hain got her permit back.

gf

jmlefler

imported post

Congrats to Melanie and the folks in PA!!

Yet:

The “Society is replacing right versus wrong with legal versus illegal,” said Eby. “ quote is sooo fundamental in the thinking of this judge.

Are we not a nation of laws? Without a set of open and known laws, how can a society exist?

I'm fearful of letting an individual like this judge determine right and wrong.
I guess we all get 2 votes now; one for the lawmakers and one for the rightmakers.

Carry on.