• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CarMax Refuses Open Carry!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

72Malibu wrote:
Gunny5821 wrote:

1. Why no sign in the front of the store indicating NO GUNS? No answer
I don't know if anybody posted about this yet... but NEVER point out the absence of a sign.
+1

from the VCDL GUN Unfriendly page:

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]We have a "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL POLICY." NEVER ask if it is OK or for permission to carry anywhere. Don't make an issue of the fact you are carrying. Don't cause problems for future patrons, or even for yourself. The point is, you want to have your defensive tool with you. No one needs to know. Don't make a big deal out of it. Try to be low key. KNOW THE LAW IF YOU ARE GOING TO CARRY OPENLY. PLEASE, don't cause problems that you will then expect others, or us to correct. Thank you. [/font]

72Malibu

imported post

Infidel wrote:
72Malibu wrote:
Gunny5821 wrote:

I don't know if anybody posted about this yet... but NEVER point out the absence of a sign.
Malibu, Why wouldn't point out the No sign if they say it's not okay to OC?

See Ed's post above.

Pointing out the absense of a sign may prompt the business to actually put one up. Then, those of us who obey the law will then have to disarm to patronize an establishment (if we decide to do so), which means that only the criminals who ignore laws and signs will be the ones armed in a newly established "Gun Free Zone".

I see gun free zones as potential personal safety hazards. As I said, stating that there wasn't a sign there may prompt a sign to be put there in the future.

I have a CHP and primarily only open carry when I have to (Restaurants that serve alcohol) or when proper concealment is difficult (hot weather) or to/at/from the range.

I wholeheartedly support open carry and what it represents, but I personally don't like attention drawn to me if I can avoid it and I don't like the idea of confrontation with people over it.

Gunny5821

imported post

ed wrote:
72Malibu wrote:
Gunny5821 wrote:

+1

from the VCDL GUN Unfriendly page:

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]We have a "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL POLICY." NEVER ask if it is OK or for permission to carry anywhere. Don't make an issue of the fact you are carrying. Don't cause problems for future patrons, or even for yourself. The point is, you want to have your defensive tool with you. No one needs to know. Don't make a big deal out of it. Try to be low key. KNOW THE LAW IF YOU ARE GOING TO CARRY OPENLY. PLEASE, don't cause problems that you will then expect others, or us to correct. Thank you. [/font]

Question, after reading this post, is it still advisable to write the people you indicated about the Negative OC experience with CarMax? I am getting ready to send the letter out to them, but after reading this post it kinda off tilts your first post about the emailing. So should I email, or let it rest?

Gunny

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

You might consider mentioning your background, training and Virginia's position on the right to carry.

Explain what happened without embellishment.

Tell them that their policy will cause you to spend your money elsewhere and to please advise you if this is not their official postition.

Post Office letter generally gets more attention than an email.

Yata hey

Gunny5821

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
You might consider mentioning your background, training and Virginia's position on the right to carry.

Explain what happened without embellishment.

Tell them that their policy will cause you to spend your money elsewhere and to please advise you if this is not their official postition.

Post Office letter generally gets more attention than an email.

Yata hey

Would you like to see the letter I have written? I can email or post here, which would you suggest?

Gunny

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Open post will generate more overall response - I don't see a problem with that if your Ok with it.

I'm headed for crashville right now though so it will be tomarrow at the soonest for me.

Yata hey

Gunny5821

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Open post will generate more overall response - I don't see a problem with that if your Ok with it.

I'm headed for crashville right now though so it will be tomarrow at the soonest for me.

Yata hey

Propective Email Letter to CarMax...................

Dear ____________,

Good Morning. You do not know me, but I have been given your name and email address from an associate after he heard the negative experience I had at two of your dealerships. I believe some background would be beneficial prior to me addressing the experiences with your dealerships.

I am a retired and disabled US Marine (USMC). I served twenty years and fought on several different fronts during my tenure, with Iraq / Desert Storm (1991) being the last. While serving in Desert Storm, I was wounded by enemy small arms fire. While serving with the USMC, my primary duty for the bulk of my career was Law Enforcement, achieving the position of Chief Detective, within the Criminal Investigations Division (CID). For over twenty years, I have had a weapon on my person both concealed carry and open carry. Additionally, I have acquired years of training with hand guns and long guns and was an expert shooter with both for twenty consecutive years, which is quite a feat. I now reside in Richmond Virginia, which is an “Open Carry” State, which means in the abbreviated context (I will not get into all of the parameters and criteria in this letter as it is to in depth), if qualified, you can carry a hand gun in the open on your person in an approved method of carry. Additionally, I have been given a permit to “Carry a Concealed Handgun” (CCH) within Virginia.

I will now fast forward to the present. On Oct 10th at approximately 7:30 pm, I was at the CarMax Dealership on W Broad Street in Richmond. While there I was in Open Carry and spoke to several people. After about 45 minutes, the salesman I had been with the entire time I guess noticed I was Open Carry. He abruptly said that CarMax has a NO gun policy. I advised the salesman that Virginia is an Open Carry state and he said the decision had come down from Corporate, No Guns on CarMax property. He then asked me to lock the hand gun in my car so we could continue. I stated that would not be necessary as I will leave the lot and shop elsewhere.

On Oct 11th at approximately 2:30 pm, I was at the CarMax Dealership on Midlothian Trpk in Midlothian. While there I was in Open Carry and spoke to numerous people. After about 15 minutes, the salesman I had been speaking to abruptly said that CarMax has a NO gun policy. I advised the salesman that Virginia is an Open Carry state and he said the decision had come down from Corporate, No Guns on CarMax property, adding it was a policy he did not agree with. He then asked me to lock the hand gun in my car. I told him it would not be necessary as I will take my business elsewhere.

Later that afternoon I went to several NEW Car dealerships and had no negative experiences, and subsequently purchased a new car.

I hope the salesman were incorrect in their statements, and if so maybe the Corporate they referred to can in fact correct them on CarMax’s stance regarding Open Carry. Either way, I thought you may like to know when a prospective customer has a negative experience on your properties. Please feel free to email me regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Yada Yada ~~ Gunny

72Malibu

imported post

Letter looks good and professionally written.

The fact that both locations cited that CarMax has a "No Gun Policy" may be an indication to them that you ignored the first "warning".

My suggestion would be to go to CarMax's website and search through their policies to see if there is any policy on firearms for customers. The employees may be citing a policy for employees only and not knowing that it may not apply to customers.

If you don't find anything mentioned on any public information on Carmax, I would ask them in the letter to confirm whether Carmax corporat has a no-gun policy for customers.

You didn't mention absence of signs, which is great.

If you find out that Carmax does in fact have a no-gun policy for customers, then make sure you let VCDL know so that they can add them to the gun-unfriendly list.

2a4all

imported post

Gunny5821 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Dear ____________,

I have been given your name and email address from an associate after he heard about the negative experience I had at two of your dealerships. I believe some background would be beneficial prior to me addressing the experiences with your dealerships.

I am a retired and disabled US Marine (USMC). I served twenty years and fought on several different fronts during my tenure, with Iraq / Desert Storm (1991) being the last. While serving in Desert Storm, I was wounded by enemy small arms fire. While serving with the USMC, my primary duty for the bulk of my career was Law Enforcement, achieving the position of Chief Detective, within the Criminal Investigations Division (CID). For over twenty years, I have had a weapon on my person both concealed carry and open carry. Additionally, I have acquired years of training with hand guns and long guns and was an expert shooter with both for twenty consecutive years, which is quite a feat. I now reside in Richmond Virginia, which is an “Open Carry” State, which means in the abbreviated context (I will not get into all of the parameters and criteria in this letter as it is too in depth), if qualified, you can carry a hand gun in the open on your person in an approved method of carry. Additionally, I have
a permit to “Carry a Concealed Handgun” (CCH) within Virginia.

I will now fast forward to the present. On Oct 10th at approximately 7:30 pm, I was at the CarMax Dealership on W Broad Street in Richmond. While there I was in Open Carry (mode) and spoke to several people. After about 45 minutes, the salesman I had been with the entire time I guess noticed I was Open Carry. He abruptly said that CarMax has a NO gun policy. I advised the salesman that Virginia is an Open Carry state and he said the decision had come down from Corporate, No Guns on CarMax property. He then asked me to lock the hand gun in my car so we could continue. I stated that would not be necessary as I will leave the lot and shop elsewhere.

On Oct 11th at approximately 2:30 pm, I was at the CarMax Dealership on Midlothian Trpk in Midlothian. While there I was in Open Carry (mode) and spoke to numerous people. After about 15 minutes, the salesman I had been speaking to abruptly said that CarMax has a NO gun policy. I advised the salesman that Virginia is an Open Carry state and he said the decision had come down from Corporate, No Guns on CarMax property, adding it was a policy he did not agree with. He then asked me to lock the hand gun in my car. I told him it would not be necessary as I will take my business elsewhere.

Later that afternoon I went to several NEW Car dealerships and had no negative experiences, and subsequently purchased a new car.

I hope the salesman (salesmen) were incorrect in their statements, and if so maybe the Corporate they referred to can in fact correct them on CarMax’s stance regarding Open Carry. Either way, I thought you may like to know when a prospective customer has a negative experience on your properties. Please feel free to email me regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Yada Yada ~~ Gunny
Gunny:

Just a couple of minor grammar tweaks (in red).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

72Malibu wrote:

The fact that both locations cited that CarMax has a "No Gun Policy" may be an indication to them that you ignored the first "warning". I don't see this as a problem.

My suggestion would be to go to CarMax's website and search through their policies to see if there is any policy on firearms for customers. The employees may be citing a policy for employees only and not knowing that it may not apply to customers. Could be only for employees.

If you don't find anything mentioned on any public information on Carmax, I would ask them in the letter to confirm whether Carmax corporat has a no-gun policy for customers. That is what this letter does.

You didn't mention absence of signs, which is great. +1

If you find out that Carmax does in fact have a no-gun policy for customers, then make sure you let VCDL know so that they can add them to the gun-unfriendly list. +1
Only other suggestion I have is "Please feel free to email me regarding this matter." might read "I look forward to your reply."

Without any changes though, this is a good letter.

Yata hey

72Malibu

imported post

ed wrote:
Gunny5821 wrote:
I have been given a permit to “Carry a Concealed Handgun” (CCH) within Virginia.

My only change would be that you have earned (not been given).. a CHP (in VA it's a CHP).

semper fi devil dog.
Maybe something about "meeting/exceeding the requirements for concealed carry of a handgun under Virginia law" or something to that effect. 2A rights are rights, not something earned or given. "Given" or "earned" makes it sound more like it's a privelege more than a right to arm oneself, even though the laws make it seem more like it's a privelege.

72Malibu

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
72Malibu wrote:

The fact that both locations cited that CarMax has a "No Gun Policy" may be an indication to them that you ignored the first "warning". I don't see this as a problem.

My suggestion would be to go to CarMax's website and search through their policies to see if there is any policy on firearms for customers. The employees may be citing a policy for employees only and not knowing that it may not apply to customers. Could be only for employees.

If you don't find anything mentioned on any public information on Carmax, I would ask them in the letter to confirm whether Carmax corporat has a no-gun policy for customers. That is what this letter does. I didn't see the word "confirmation" in there specifically, which was probably what I was looking for. You're right though, seeking confirmation is the intent of the letter.

You didn't mention absence of signs, which is great. +1

If you find out that Carmax does in fact have a no-gun policy for customers, then make sure you let VCDL know so that they can add them to the gun-unfriendly list. +1
Only other suggestion I have is "Please feel free to email me regarding this matter." might read "I look forward to your reply."

Without any changes though, this is a good letter.

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
ed wrote:
Gunny5821 wrote:
I have been given a permit to “Carry a Concealed Handgun” (CCH) within Virginia.

My only change would be that you have earned (not been given).. a CHP (in VA it's a CHP).

semper fi devil dog.
Maybe something about "meeting/exceeding the requirements for concealed carry of a handgun under Virginia law" or something to that effect. 2A rights are rights, not something earned or given. "Given" or "earned" makes it sound more like it's a privelege more than a right to arm oneself, even though the laws make it seem more like it's a privelege.

Well, when it comes to permits and licenses, you are typically granted them rather than earned them.

Thus... "After meeting the requirements, I was granted a permit by the Commonwealth of Virginia to carry concealed firearms." sounds a lot better than "I have been given a permit to “Carry a Concealed Handgun” (CCH) within Virginia."

Concealed carrycan be considereda privilege. A case can be made for it being included in the RKBA as well as made for being outside of RKBA. Within VA, it is a privilege to conceal-carry. Open carry however is a right.

It really boils down to wordsmithing though. It's just a fancier way of saying the same thing.

Repeater

imported post

Gunny5821 wrote:

Dear ____________,

Good Morning. You do not know me, but I have been given your name and email address from an associate after he heard the negative experience I had at two of your dealerships. I believe some background would be beneficial prior to me addressing the experiences with your dealerships.

I am a retired and disabled US Marine (USMC).

I hope the salesman were incorrect in their statements, and if so maybe the Corporate they referred to can in fact correct them on CarMax’s stance regarding Open Carry. Either way, I thought you may like to know when a prospective customer has a negative experience on your properties. Please feel free to email me regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Yada Yada ~~ Gunny
Sorry for the SNIPS. Very nice letter. You might also suggest that their policy is not "MaxWorthy" -- this would show that you do watch their TV commercials, but while their ads are humorous, their prejudice is not, and you will not be a customer without better treatment from them.

cmartin7864

imported post

Sorry for the SNIPS. Very nice letter. You might also suggest that their policy is not "MaxWorthy" -- this would show that you do watch their TV commercials, but while their ads are humorous, their prejudice is not, and you will not be a customer without better treatment from them.

Were the cowboys in their "HorseMax" commercial OCn? :lol:

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You might want to work into your letter a question or a statement such as, "I am writing to ascertain if your salesmen mayhave confused Carmax employee policy with customer policy in regards to the lawful carry of a firearm". This would give Carmax an out for the salemen "mistakenly" telling you that you could not carry a pistol in accordance with Virginia law. Just a thought.

S/F