• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CarMax Refuses Open Carry!

Gunny5821

imported post

This past weekend I paid a visit to the CarMax's on w Broad and the one on Midlothian Trpk. I was told by the salesman at BOTH locations that CarMax has a NO gun policy and was asked to leave it in my car. I opted to prompt some quick questions:

1. Why no sign in the front of the store indicating NO GUNS? No answer
2. It is totally LEGAL to OC in VA, did you know that? No answer
3. Prompter why is that their policy? Said that it is a corporate thing and they have just been told its not allowed.

I replied, "I understand and will shop elsewhere, have a nice day"
--------------------------------------------------

So has anyone else experienced this at CarMax? Since the auto market is in the toilet, you would think they wouldn't turn away business, especially since there was only one other person there... I will definately move my car business somewhere else............

Gunny :celebrate

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I have open carried at the Carmax on West Broad.... call and ask to speak to the manager and calmly explain that you want to buy a car there but were refused service. You may get a satisfactory response.... at least give the manager a chance...

builtjeep

imported post

Not sure what you're looking for in a vehicle/dealer, but I bought my truck from Basic Auto Sales in Ashland, on rt. 1. Open carried both for my initial test drive and when I came back a few days later to finalize the deal. They were very gun friendly, the finance manager told me that his father was an officer and had insisted on him getting his CCW as soon as he turned 21. They were good people to deal with (as car dealers go at least.).

Mike

OBXMIKE

imported post

We are DEFINITELY a 2-A, OC friendly dealership!

Had a guy stopped by earlier this year with a "Glock" t-shirt on, and an...empty...holster. Told the guy to go back out and fill his holster, THEN we'd talk!! LOL!

Lots of "carriers" here in Tidewater, and all are welcome here.

PM me if any of you guys need to find a friend in the business.....(hope it's not bad forum etiquette to offer....:uhoh:)

razor_baghdad

imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
We are DEFINITELY a 2-A, OC friendly dealership!

Had a guy stopped by earlier this year with a "Glock" t-shirt on, and an...empty...holster. Told the guy to go back out and fill his holster, THEN we'd talk!! LOL!

Now that is a quality answer we like to hear!!

Kudos on ya for that response!!:D

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Lisa Van Riper
Assistant Vice President, Public Affairs & Store Marketing
(804) 935-4594
Email
Trina Lee
Public Relations Director
(804) 747-0422, Ext. 4197
Email
Chris Wilmore
Assistant Public Relations Manager, New Media
(804) 747-0422, Ext. 4773
Email
Elia Imler
Assistant Public Relations Manager
(804) 747-0422, Ext. 4029
Email

Armed

imported post

builtjeep wrote:
Not sure what you're looking for in a vehicle/dealer, but I bought my truck from Basic Auto Sales in Ashland, on rt. 1. Open carried both for my initial test drive and when I came back a few days later to finalize the deal. They were very gun friendly, the finance manager told me that his father was an officer and had insisted on him getting his CCW as soon as he turned 21. They were good people to deal with (as car dealers go at least.).

Mike
Hey - I bought my truck from these guys back in January. No complaints. They were actually a pleasure to deal with. A true first for me, when it comes to car dealers.

Gunny5821

imported post

ed wrote:
Lisa Van Riper
(804) 935-4594
Email
Trina Lee
Email
Chris Wilmore
Email
Elia Imler
Email

Hi Ed,

I take it these are CarMax people I can email regarding my recent visit?

Gunny

Gunny5821

imported post

What was really weird about this was how the first one went down. As you all know, you cannot enter a CarMax car lot like any OTHER dealership in the world probably. You have to park in a designated area, not to weird, but than to get to the lot, you have to go through the dealership barrage. I went through all of that, went out to the car lot and was trying out different vehicles and I guess I entered different or something, but he finally noticed, after about 45 minutes, that I was OC'ing. He said that corporate had disseminated the NO Gun policy. He asked if I could just put my gun in my car and than come back. I replied, if I go back to my car to do as you suggested, I will NOT be returning. He said he had no choice. I said, have a nice night and left. This was the W Broad CarMax, Friday evening around 7:30..

Saturday afternoon I went to the one on Midlothian trpk. I have already posted that story above. I think I stayed at that one about 15 minutes..

I guess the reason it stuck in my craw was that 2 CarMax's said the same thing, which made me believe that maybe it is actual policy. Who knows, I sure don't..........

I have been to numerous NEW CAR Dealership's in the area and have yet to receive any comments regarding OC'ing.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Gunny5821 wrote:
ed wrote:
Lisa Van Riper
(804) 935-4594
Email
Trina Lee
Email
Chris Wilmore
Email
Elia Imler
Email

Hi Ed,

I take it these are CarMax people I can email regarding my recent visit?

Gunny
affirm

Gunny5821

imported post

Email on the way... I will post the responses as they come in.. Stand by, more to come......

sitedzn

imported post

Try the Dodge dealer right in front of CarMax on Midlo. Back when I had some service done I did see a guy OCing with a shoulder rig who was going into the waiting area. No one said anything to him.

Xeni

imported post

Gunny,

I OC'd at the Fredericksburg CarMax without any issue. It was very obvious since I was wearing jeans and a white polo shirt - it accenuates the black glock and holster.

We were there for a while selling a car. No :what:eek:r comments. We were in a waiting room next to their financial center for a bit while the car was appraised.

Everyone seemed friendly enough for me and I did end up selling them the car. Got a little less than I wanted but the car had so many things wrong with it that I was trying to just get something out of it and reduce my tax burden.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I attempted to order a transfer of a Monte Carlo to the Dulles carmax two weeks ago. They didn't contact me until that vehicle and three others I had my eye on had already been sold to someone else. Too slow, no sale.

Went to the KIA dealership in Manassas and found a beautiful car. Open carry was a topic of conversation there as I waited and I ended up giving VCDL info cards to two interested folks. One was a salesman, the other a customer.

Marco

imported post

I OC'd at the Carmax near me (RT 28) with no issues.

On two occasions I even took my dog with me on the test drive.
Yes, I used a blanket to cover the back seat/cargo area.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Have OCd at both Richmond area Car-Max locations without incident.

Killer was they appraised my truck for 1/6 of it's wholesale value and never called me back on the two that I was interested in - oh well they must be making too much money.

Yata hey