• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Giving yourself title

Bear 45/70

imported post

sharp wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Why bother invinting a title? It does you no good except to avoid a conversation, and it leaves people with the idea that only people with a "title" or something else "special" get to carry guns openly. If you can bear to have a conversation about OC with someone, don't OC.
With all due respect I will disagree. I assume you meant "if you CAN'T". My primary reason for OC or concealed for that matter, is not to educate anyone. In fact I think the primary reason is and should be my and my families personal protection. Education is great and given the opportunity I'm all for it. But I don't primarily carry a weapon for that reason.

I tend to agree with the first part of your post about inventing and titles but avoiding conversations is sometimes just exactly the ticket. Sorry, I know that doesn't advance the aims of this group but again those aims are not the PRIMARY reasons for my actions.
Then why bother OCing when CC will get the job done for you?

sharp

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Seriously? Again, while I am not opposing education, it is just not my primary reason. My reply was to the position that if you wouldn't talk (educate) then don't OC.

I can't believe that I would even need to answer that question Bear. You have been here long enough to know the answers as posted here almost every day.
But here's a few. You all can fill in the rest or search the posts for more answers.

It's my right.
It's more comfortable.
It tends to avoid "situations" more than concealed.
I might not have a CPL.
_____ ......................(your turn)

Bear 45/70

imported post

sharp wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Seriously? Again, while I am not opposing education, it is just not my primary reason. My reply was to the position that if you wouldn't talk (educate) then don't OC.

I can't believe that I would even need to answer that question Bear. You have been here long enough to know the answers as posted here almost every day.
But here's a few. You all can fill in the rest or search the posts for more answers.

It's my right.
It's more comfortable.
It tends to avoid "situations" more than concealed.
I might not have a CPL.
_____ ......................(your turn)
No CPL means you are doing a piss poor job of protecting you and yours as you can't carry loadedin your car. So again, why OC at all when CC will get the job done with out the questions? Which you seem to resent for some reason.

sharp

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote
No CPL means you are doing a piss poor job of protecting you and yours as you can't carry loadedin your car. So again, why OC at all when CC will get the job done with out the questions? Which you seem to resent for some reason.
Bear logic. Thought I'd not have to run into it but I guess everyone does if you post here long enough.

First, your negative "opinion" of my abilities including using derogatory terms for those abilities is unwarranted. You don't know me nor my abilities. If I choose to load and unload my weapon entering or leaving my vehicle I will. If I choose to leave my CPL in the car and OC without speaking to people when I chose I will. Isn't this about our rights, our choices? I was perhaps misinformed and this is really SV's and Bear's school for educating the public forum. I missed reading the part about not OC'ing if I didnt "educate the public EVERY stinking time I OC", when I signed on.

Secondly, Bear almost always seems to pick and choose the points he wants to harp on and ignores the rest. I gave 4 reasons and there are more, so again if you reject the last one ....re-read the other three to answer your own question.

Thirdly, read my posts please. Nowhere did I say I resented education. Don't misrepresent my posts. Being as education is not my primary reason it's reasonable to say its secondary at best. I clearly stated I'm ALL for it given the opportunity. Maybe I should have qualified that to say "appropriate opportunity". ( and I will decide what appropriate is).

PolskiG

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Well, I've OC'd at the Costco pump all but one time that I was in a hurry. And one of the times I was OC'ing, a late teens/early twenties attendant asked me about it and I said it was legal and told him to hold on. I grabbed a pamphlet and handed it to him and said it was his. He thanked me and walked off reading it.

After finishing pumping, I always pull off to an adjacent parking lot to calculate my MPG (never get less than 30 and average is around 35). When I pulled out of that lot and passed by the pumps to leave, the attendant was standing there reading the pamphlet... a good 5 minutes later.

The point of this story is to point out that you may have missed an opportunity to educate someone... one of the many reasons some of us OC.
yes I know, this guy was older though and he looked like he was on a mission to grill me.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sharp wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote
Bear logic. Thought I'd not have to run into it but I guess everyone does if you post here long enough.

First, your negative "opinion" of my abilities including using derogatory terms for those abilities is unwarranted. You don't know me nor my abilities. If I choose to load and unload my weapon entering or leaving my vehicle I will. If I choose to leave my CPL in the car and OC without speaking to people when I chose I will. Isn't this about our rights, our choices? I was perhaps misinformed and this is really SV's and Bear's school for educating the public forum. I missed reading the part about not OC'ing if I didnt "educate the public EVERY stinking time I OC", when I signed on.

Secondly, Bear almost always seems to pick and choose the points he wants to harp on and ignores the rest. I gave 4 reasons and there are more, so again if you reject the last one ....re-read the other three to answer your own question.

Thirdly, read my posts please. Nowhere did I say I resented education. Don't misrepresent my posts. Being as education is not my primary reason it's reasonable to say its secondary at best. I clearly stated I'm ALL for it given the opportunity. Maybe I should have qualified that to say "appropriate opportunity". ( and I will decide what appropriate is).
You keep talking but you dance around answering the question asked. Why not just CC if you don't want to answer questions about about OC? Mmmmm... you just don't like to answer questions as put to you, you are just like a polititian! And of course, just like a politician it's someone else's fault.

PolskiG

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Why bother invinting a title? It does you no good except to avoid a conversation, and it leaves people with the idea that only people with a "title" or something else "special" get to carry guns openly. If you can bear to have a conversation about OC with someone, don't OC.
I actually OC for comfort, and usaully in the colder months I do the half-a** OC whichworks well to.I have givin out pamplets and all that but sometimes I just dont want to be approach by anyone for anything unless its a really cute girl, or Jesus. SV_lib I'm sure there have been times when you feel the same way, no?

sharp

imported post

"Secondly, Bear almost always seems to pick and choose the points he wants to harp on and ignores the rest. I gave 4 reasons and there are more, so again if you reject the last one ....re-read the other three to answer your own question."

Bear ? Do you ever read posts you respond to?

Bear 45/70

imported post

sharp wrote:
"Secondly, Bear almost always seems to pick and choose the points he wants to harp on and ignores the rest. I gave 4 reasons and there are more, so again if you reject the last one ....re-read the other three to answer your own question."

Sure I do, but reading it twice still hasn't answered my question.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

PolskiG wrote:
I actually OC for comfort, and usaully in the colder months I do the half-a** OC whichworks well to.I have givin out pamplets and all that but sometimes I just dont want to be approach by anyone for anything unless its a really cute girl, or Jesus. SV_lib I'm sure there have been times when you feel the same way, no?
There have been, which is why I CC then, because I am probably somewhat grumpy and I get very biting sarcastic when I'm grumpy, so I CC then, as OC is NOT the thing to do when you are in a sarcastic grumpy mood!

PolskiG

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
There have been, which is why I CC then, because I am probably somewhat grumpy and I get very biting sarcastic when I'm grumpy, so I CC then, as OC is NOT the thing to do when you are in a sarcastic grumpy mood!

True story. I hear what you're sayin,you're in this for the cause. respectable.

On another note im getting my new HK p2000 9mm V3 (DA/SA w/decocker) on sat!!! So excited... Now I get to join the elitecocky club of H&K owners.

Tawnos

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
sharp wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
With all due respect I will disagree. I assume you meant "if you CAN'T". My primary reason for OC or concealed for that matter, is not to educate anyone. In fact I think the primary reason is and should be my and my families personal protection. Education is great and given the opportunity I'm all for it. But I don't primarily carry a weapon for that reason.

I tend to agree with the first part of your post about inventing and titles but avoiding conversations is sometimes just exactly the ticket. Sorry, I know that doesn't advance the aims of this group but again those aims are not the PRIMARY reasons for my actions.
Because I own only one pistol right now, and it's big and I don't have a concealed carry holster. Because it's quicker to access. Because the point isn't to be forced to educate, be a pain in the ass, or otherwise show off, but because I believe it's best for me and hopefully those around me. Because I don't want to have to shoot someone, if I can defuse a situation by their notice of my sidearm instead.

Are these valid reasons, or is the only valid reason in your book being a self-righteous prick with a bone to pick with anybody who dares question the fact you're armed? You claim the person should want to answer questions. However, that isn't a necessary truth. People have different reasons, and some may simply want to carry for personal reasons, should they have to answer questions put forth, or be denied their right to OC because CC will do "just as well?"

Seriously, why come down so hard one someone who wants to OC? Can't you just accept they have their reasons and let sleeping dogs lie?

sharp

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
sharp wrote:

Fine then if your that dense I'll repost it.

Your question: Then why bother OCing when CC will get the job done for you? ( you make a huge assumption that it will get the job done and that is so obviously not the case for all people and all situations)

I OC primarily for protecting my family and self, not education. Some of many reasons I would OC instead of CC are:

1: It's my right. (CC isn't)
2: It's more comfortable. (CC might not be as)
3: It tends to avoid "situations" more than concealed. ( something I became aware
of when I came here)
4: I might not have a CPL. (with me or otherwise)

To SV, non of this was meant to imply anything against your opinion, I just disagreed with it.

To Bear, nothing further to say. Asked and answered , twice at least.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I would say CC is a right too. The State Constitution simply states the right to bear arms shall not be impaired. I say having to get a permit to carry a gun is a violation of that clear and simple language.

sharp

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I would say CC is a right too. The State Constitution simply states the right to bear arms shall not be impaired. I say having to get a permit to carry a gun is a violation of that clear and simple language.
I will agree with you in principle. However, until the permit is abolished I'll have to look at it as not a right in actuality.

Cremator75

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
sharp wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

Because I own only one pistol right now, and it's big and I don't have a concealed carry holster. Because it's quicker to access. Because the point isn't to be forced to educate, be a pain in the ass, or otherwise show off, but because I believe it's best for me and hopefully those around me. Because I don't want to have to shoot someone, if I can defuse a situation by their notice of my sidearm instead.

Are these valid reasons, or is the only valid reason in your book being a self-righteous prick with a bone to pick with anybody who dares question the fact you're armed? You claim the person should want to answer questions. However, that isn't a necessary truth. People have different reasons, and some may simply want to carry for personal reasons, should they have to answer questions put forth, or be denied their right to OC because CC will do "just as well?"

Seriously, why come down so hard one someone who wants to OC? Can't you just accept they have their reasons and let sleeping dogs lie?
+1000 I have learned to just scroll past those posts to get to the real reason I read these forums. Substance.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sharp wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
sharp wrote:

Fine then if your that dense I'll repost it.

Your question: Then why bother OCing when CC will get the job done for you? ( you make a huge assumption that it will get the job done and that is so obviously not the case for all people and all situations)

I OC primarily for protecting my family and self, not education. Some of many reasons I would OC instead of CC are:

1: It's my right. (CC isn't)
2: It's more comfortable. (CC might not be as)
3: It tends to avoid "situations" more than concealed. ( something I became aware
of when I came here)
4: I might not have a CPL. (with me or otherwise)

To SV, non of this was meant to imply anything against your opinion, I just disagreed with it.

To Bear, nothing further to say. Asked and answered , twice at least.
Those are all "EXCUSES", not answers. If you are unprepared to do the job right, then don't bother doing it at all. On top of that you get snippy with those that ask you questions about what you are doing. Yep, you are a bigger hazzard than a help.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
Tawnos wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
sharp wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:

+1000 I have learned to just scroll past those posts to get to the real reason I read these forums. Substance.
Because he is giving us all a black eye with his 13 year old's attirtude.

Tawnos

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote
Those are all "EXCUSES", not answers. If you are unprepared to do the job right, then don't bother doing it at all. On top of that you get snippy with those that ask you questions about what you are doing. Yep, you are a bigger hazzard than a help.
You could even say he's a duke of it.